Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Baby Manta at Japan aquarium dies

Owlscrying

June 21

Tokyo (AP) - A giant manta ray baby that was believed to be the first born in captivity died Thursday after being abused by its father, Japanese keepers said.

The female baby manta was born Saturday at the Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium, more than a year after its parents mated.

The baby manta, which was more than 6 feet wide, was pronounced dead Thursday morning after living only 4 1/2 days, the aquarium said in a statement.

Keepers believe the baby died of bruises and cuts, apparently caused by its abusive father that constantly chased after the baby, often slamming into it.

The reason for the father's violence was not immediately known, and the baby's death was still under investigation.

go

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rosenrot

• Picturesque Orion

• f3liC

• Legatus Legionis

Top Posters In This Topic

Aww that's sad! And this is yet another case of how parental abuse destroys lives.

But I would really like to know why the father of the ray acted in such an agressive manner towards the baby. I'm trying to think of another example of this in the marine world, but I can't think of one.

maybe its one of those things where like the father (who gives birth to baby seahorses) seahorse will eat the baby seahorses if they don't swim away quickly enough. maybe its the same thing as manta rays where if the offspring does not go off on its own, the parents will kill it off.

^I doubt it. Because, unlike sea horses, the male manta ray would not normally be around the baby when it is born.

So.......... why is this manta ray so special? Because it was born in cautivity? Do you guys realise how many manta rays get killed everyday due to mass fishing? Do you guys realise how many sharks are getting killed everyday due to mass fishing? Do you guys realise how many dolphins and whales Japan is killing? Do you guys realies how much the Japanese make them suffer just so they release adrenaline to make the meat taste better? Do you think this animals really deserve this?

Animals are getting killed really fast, this manta ray is special, ok, I respect that but many others are getting killed everyday for us just to be worried about this one.

So.......... why is this manta ray so special? Because it was born in cautivity? Do you guys realise how many manta rays get killed everyday due to mass fishing? Do you guys realise how many sharks are getting killed everyday due to mass fishing? Do you guys realise how many dolphins and whales Japan is killing? Do you guys realies how much the Japanese make them suffer just so they release adrenaline to make the meat taste better? Do you think this animals really deserve this?

Animals are getting killed really fast, this manta ray is special, ok, I respect that but many others are getting killed everyday for us just to be worried about this one.

and do you even realized that this is the world's first manta ray to be born in captivity?

<snip>

But I would really like to know why the father of the ray acted in such an agressive manner towards the baby. I'm trying to think of another example of this in the marine world, but I can't think of one.

Males often kill infants in the animal kingdom. It has to do with mating. A female won't mate if she's tending a baby. The males resolve this by killing the infant.

and do you even realized that this is the world's first manta ray to be born in captivity?

and I said I respect that BUT many animals are being massed killed for us to be worring about just one manta ray. please dont make me repeat my post. thank you.

i would've thought that the parents of the manta ray were together in the same area and when birth of the baby manta ray came, they relocated the mother and when the baby was born, were all placed back into the same tank together.

i've always read somewhere that infacts are often killed by their own parents and graylady2's post may as well explain it.

Yes we do realize that. It is a sad fact. Overharvesting of the oceans is terrible. It makes me especially sad because I am working towards a degree in marine biology, and they are killing my labratory! Overharvesting not only depletes the fish of the ocean, but it also kills many other ocean animals in the processes used to harvest the fish. And what is worse, the government is endorsing this!

Males often kill infants in the animal kingdom. It has to do with mating. A female won't mate if she's tending a baby. The males resolve this by killing the infant.

Hmm, never thought about that. I wonder why the caretakers didn't think of that and remove the father?

Yes we do realize that. It is a sad fact. Overharvesting of the oceans is terrible. It makes me especially sad because I am working towards a degree in marine biology, and they are killing my labratory! Overharvesting not only depletes the fish of the ocean, but it also kills many other ocean animals in the processes used to harvest the fish. And what is worse, the government is endorsing this!

Kill a part of the chain and everything crumbles. that's what i learned in my biology class in my earlier days.