Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

1960 Evil Overpass ! Humble, TX

NME_locus

If you have any pictures that you need lightened, darkened, contrast adjustments, or the like, send them to me and I'll fix them and resend them to you so you can post them in the threads. Just send me a pm through UM what you need done (I can't do it all though) and I'll give you my email address. Good luck, BE SAFE and have fun!

Thank you Munchkin, that's very sweet of you to offer. I may take you up on it. We're meeting tomorrow night to discuss the investigation. The actual investigation will be taking place within the next 2 weeks. Too bad you're too far to join us :(.

That is the worst time to go especially since kids are known to frequent the area. I talked to my source with the local P.D. and he stated to me that alot of gang members use this area to smoke their drugs and hang out. I would rather go on a weekday outside a holiday.

Great point. We'll stick to our original game plan as you and I have already discussed. :tu:

Thank you Munchkin, that's very sweet of you to offer. I may take you up on it. We're meeting tomorrow night to discuss the investigation. The actual investigation will be taking place within the next 2 weeks. Too bad you're too far to join us :(.

Why do I have to be all the way up here in Portland? Damn! I always miss out on the good stuff!

Just keep me posted is all I ask! :D

That is the worst time to go especially since kids are known to frequent the area. I talked to my source with the local P.D. and he stated to me that alot of gang members use this area to smoke their drugs and hang out. I would rather go on a weekday outside a holiday.

Oh Oh - well keep safe! :yes:

Been out there many, many times ( grew up in Spring) and I never saw anything out of the ordinary. Of course, I've never looked for anything either so maybe I just missed it. I'm pretty sure I've been to the referenced theater if it's the one directly east of 59 in the shopping center there. There are a few areas that, when I think back, I remember being creeped out by. If you're on 1960 and pass over 59 (going east) and then pass the shopping center I believe there's a light where you can take a right turn. There is a residential area back there with big open spaces and lots of chain link fence that was creepy for some reason. Also, on the opposite side of the freeway (behind Target) and on the other side of business 1960 there are some woodsy areas that I remember being uneasy driving through on an occasion or two.

I'd be interested to see what you all come up with. If nothing else look at the old buildings in downtown Humble. The white bank building is architecturally very neat. There's a model train store in town too that's in a neat old building.

I'd go with you but I have a bum leg and would probably hold you up more than anything.

Howdy. Have been reading this thread for awhile now and find it interesting. I lived in Houston for awhile when I worked for the KATY railroad. I've been by the spot you're talking about but had no idea of its history. Additionally, I have several friends and relatives in the area.

I have to caution you. It is no good to go alone, but if y'all go in a group as big as the one listed, you are asking for trouble. A group that big is just too visible. Five to ten would be optimal. EVERY member of the group should have a GOOD flashlight. The LED's aren't the best, but they are very good and are much more conserving of batteries than the 6v camera-battery outfits are. I would carry one of each myself and a backup for the 6v. Carry a good Swiss Army knife also. Wenger and Victorinox both make good ones.

Be careful.

Been out there many, many times ( grew up in Spring) and I never saw anything out of the ordinary. Of course, I've never looked for anything either so maybe I just missed it. I'm pretty sure I've been to the referenced theater if it's the one directly east of 59 in the shopping center there. There are a few areas that, when I think back, I remember being creeped out by. If you're on 1960 and pass over 59 (going east) and then pass the shopping center I believe there's a light where you can take a right turn. There is a residential area back there with big open spaces and lots of chain link fence that was creepy for some reason. Also, on the opposite side of the freeway (behind Target) and on the other side of business 1960 there are some woodsy areas that I remember being uneasy driving through on an occasion or two.

I'd be interested to see what you all come up with. If nothing else look at the old buildings in downtown Humble. The white bank building is architecturally very neat. There's a model train store in town too that's in a neat old building.

I'd go with you but I have a bum leg and would probably hold you up more than anything.

The area your talking about is loaded with Wild boars in the woods. There have been cases where people were chased after jogging through the area. They sent trappers hired by walmart in one occasion and pulled out twenty hogs in one day. The road is actually called townsend heading towards Sams and Walmart. I take this route as a short cut instead of travelling on 1960. I just hope that I don't get stuck in the middle of the night. I also viewed from old postings that red glowing eyes were seen in the overpass area. I did my own research and found that animals will glow red eyes if certain lights are aimed at it. I have actually spotlighted the woods near Atascocita and saw several deers with glowings red eyes. This might explain certain sightings to this issue but then again, there is the issue surrounding glowing figures and orb shapes. We just have to wait and see.

Howdy. Have been reading this thread for awhile now and find it interesting. I lived in Houston for awhile when I worked for the KATY railroad. I've been by the spot you're talking about but had no idea of its history. Additionally, I have several friends and relatives in the area.

I have to caution you. It is no good to go alone, but if y'all go in a group as big as the one listed, you are asking for trouble. A group that big is just too visible. Five to ten would be optimal. EVERY member of the group should have a GOOD flashlight. The LED's aren't the best, but they are very good and are much more conserving of batteries than the 6v camera-battery outfits are. I would carry one of each myself and a backup for the 6v. Carry a good Swiss Army knife also. Wenger and Victorinox both make good ones.

Be careful.

I lived in Houston for awhile when I worked for the KATY railroad.

I have to caution you. It is no good to go alone, but if y'all go in a group as big as the one listed, you are asking for trouble. A group that big is just too visible. Five to ten would be optimal.

You worked for the MKT huh?...cool. If you're referring to the list NME posted, that was just a list of invites sent to people known to be from Houston. Not many have expressed serious interest in joining us, so our group will be pretty small.

Thank you for your advice/tips, I appreciate it. We'll probably have something a little more powerful than a Swiss Army knife though ;) .

The area your talking about is loaded with Wild boars in the woods. There have been cases where people were chased after jogging through the area. They sent trappers hired by walmart in one occasion and pulled out twenty hogs in one day. The road is actually called townsend heading towards Sams and Walmart.

They are nothing more than hogs. Not boars. Boars are much more dangerous, and are not in the area. Hogs on the other hand, its quite possible. The texas hogs will rarely attack people unless they are really close and startle them. Even then, most of the time they will run away. I am a hunter, and have encountered them all over texas, and thus far have never been attacked by them. The only case where one would attack would be if its rabbid, but its unlikely. Used to hunt those things with .22s out in west texas. But useually trapping them is the only way to get them, and the reason is, they run from people.

The only thing I would consider a potential danger out there would be other people, either liveing in the woods, people useing the woods for subversive tasks (that are probley illegal), and the such.

Townsend Bld is a long ways away from where the cemitary is. A good 1.25 miles away, if you get to it from 1960. There are alot of woods along townsend, and the area going twords walmart and sams borders Jesse Jones State Park (which is an excellent place to go running btw). That area has alot of deer and I would presume other wild life as well, includeing hogs and possibly coyote. Not so much where the cemitary is located, beacuse of the woods being heavely populated on all sides, and a RR track next to them as well.

If anyone has a lantern, such as one for floundering that has a directional light shield on it (I do, but I doubt I will be able to make the investigation at this point. Wont know till a day or so before it.

You worked for the MKT huh?...cool. If you're referring to the list NME posted, that was just a list of invites sent to people known to be from Houston. Not many have expressed serious interest in joining us, so our group will be pretty small.

Thank you for your advice/tips, I appreciate it. We'll probably have something a little more powerful than a Swiss Army knife though ;) .

:blush: I hadn't seen this post yet. Y'all sound pretty well organized. Good luck. Watch out for them hogs. They can be mean.

Mr Tussuad,

I am also a hunter and have experienced many wild boar hog encounters. Some were pleasant and some were not. I can tell you that boar/hog encounters can go both ways depite the circumstances. Check this site out and tell me if boars/hogs do not charge.

http://media.putfile.com/charging-boar

You are correct about the types of hogs frequenting the area but boars have been seen as well. There are two types of swines lingering around the area of question. You got the feral hog which is a hybrid domestic and wild hog and the european/russian boars which is straight black. Check this site www.texasboars.com as many of the trappers have frequented the area in townsend.

Here is a picture of my wild boar which I shot in New Caney which is about several miles north of Humble. user posted image. I was told that this boar looks scary but imagine it alive and sprinting towards you.

:o I think the bums and crackheads will be the least of our worries....lol. Like I said, I'm going to stand BEHIND you. :yes::D

It wouldn't have been sprinting towards you if you weren't hunting. :whistle:

Here is a picture of my wild boar which I shot in New Caney which is about several miles north of Humble. user posted image. I was told that this boar looks scary but imagine it alive and sprinting towards you.

Edited by Becca L 143

Hogs in Texas are a big problem in some place. At my friends lakehouse, the town offers rewards for killed cougars, and hogs come out and dig up the yards. Some have killed the landowners dogs. However, if dogs there are caught chasing the deers, the dogs will be shot.

A few months ago, I shot one in the backyard at the lakehouse. My buddies dragged it up to the back porch.... it took awhile to prep and clean, but the bbq pit served us well . One thing is for sure.... they are smart animals.

Edited by NME_locus

That is the thing, I was not hunting it. I was hunting something else and this boar got in the way. I was just walking in a trail and the next thing you know, it charged me. I am posting this because someone in the forum does not believe they frequent the area. I was just indicating that many red glare eyes in the dark are actually animals such as hogs or deers that frequent the area. I am not creating a controversy but an open mind and possible explaination. I did not want to post this picture but everyone needed to know that these animals share the same area as us here in this part.

That is the thing, I was not hunting it. I was hunting something else and this boar got in the way. I was just walking in a trail and the next thing you know, it charged me. I am posting this because someone in the forum does not believe they frequent the area. I was just indicating that many red glare eyes in the dark are actually animals such as hogs or deers that frequent the area. I am not creating a controversy but an open mind and possible explaination. I did not want to post this picture but everyone needed to know that these animals share the same area as us here in this part.

Tonecop is right, that would explain all the red glowing eyes for sure.

At the lakehouse, we have cougars, so we learned quickly that red eyes meant deer or hog.... but green eyes are sometimes cougars. To get from one lakehouse to the other requires a quarter mile hike in the dark towards the neighbors. There is not light source for nearly 60 miles in the Brazos Valley area. When green eyes are seen, they said run. Many occassions, I have been stalked by the cougars.... and the old 1800's cemetery between our lakehouse to the next reminds me so. Many graves that belong to dead people says "killed by cougar" or " died when the horse buggy flipped from horses being spooked by the cougars"....

She's right, you shouldn't have posted it.

You made me hungry :D

A pulled pork BBQ sandwich and a cold beer sounds WAY too good right now!

She's right, you shouldn't have posted it.

You made me hungry :D

A pulled pork BBQ sandwich and a cold beer sounds WAY too good right now!

Dang, now you made me hungry too!

Dang, now you made me hungry too!

They probably don't have any of that where you're at now....not like they do here anyway. Makes you wanna come back home quicker :yes:

They probably don't have any of that where you're at now....not like they do here anyway. Makes you wanna come back home quicker :yes:

"Jayeet yet? Ya'll keep the smoka goin', I'll be back down der in Texas soon." :w00t:

Edited by NME_locus

The only thing I meant was that it is very very doubtful that they would frequent the area of the cemetary. I know they are north of there, and on the other side of 59 off of townsend. But where the cemetary is, it is not a very large area, and its surrounded by roads that are heavly developed. There is a very small probability that one would find its way into that area where the investigation will occur. Its just too populated right there, its in the middle of humble. About the only reason its not been developed is the land owners/cemetary being there, and the RR tracks are there.

The only way for anyhting like a hog to get there would be for it to walk along the RR tracks, unless it decides to cut accross 59 and through the best buy parking lot. There are woods south of there, near will clayton, but that is several miles and the RR tracks go rigth through down town humble, and to the north, there is the river, with no (very little, mostly constrution going on in them though) woods. East of there, its all residential.

Therefore, after considering the lay of the land, and the size of the woods there, I have come to the conclusion that the chances of finding a hog there are practically non-existant. I can post a satalite image if you wish, so you can validate what I said. Though, with the satalite image, its probley a few years old, so there are probley even less woods now than there was before. Beacuse thats what humans love to do, destroy woods.

Back when there were more woods in the area, im sure it was quite possible to see things like hogs there, but that patch of land is just too small in the middle of a town for anything to be there. All that you will find is squirls, coons, and other varments of the sort.

:ph34r:

The only thing I meant was that it is very very doubtful that they would frequent the area of the cemetary. I know they are north of there, and on the other side of 59 off of townsend. But where the cemetary is, it is not a very large area, and its surrounded by roads that are heavly developed. There is a very small probability that one would find its way into that area where the investigation will occur. Its just too populated right there, its in the middle of humble. About the only reason its not been developed is the land owners/cemetary being there, and the RR tracks are there.

The only way for anyhting like a hog to get there would be for it to walk along the RR tracks, unless it decides to cut accross 59 and through the best buy parking lot. There are woods south of there, near will clayton, but that is several miles and the RR tracks go rigth through down town humble, and to the north, there is the river, with no (very little, mostly constrution going on in them though) woods. East of there, its all residential.

Therefore, after considering the lay of the land, and the size of the woods there, I have come to the conclusion that the chances of finding a hog there are practically non-existant. I can post a satalite image if you wish, so you can validate what I said. Though, with the satalite image, its probley a few years old, so there are probley even less woods now than there was before. Beacuse thats what humans love to do, destroy woods.

Back when there were more woods in the area, im sure it was quite possible to see things like hogs there, but that patch of land is just too small in the middle of a town for anything to be there. All that you will find is squirls, coons, and other varments of the sort.

I know that they would not frequent the cemetary area but deers will sometime find it ways into the area. Deers will often travel along the rr and into the woods. You would see them foraging in the open fields. I too doubt that hogs will be in the cemetary but do believe that people have seen red eyes of a deer, racoon, and other varmints. You mentioned earlier in the post that there are no wild boars in the townsend area going towards Sams and walmart which is the reason why I provided a photo to dispel that belief. Believe me ask any locals around that area and they will tell you not to frequent that area at night as boars are nocturnal animals. To avoid the confusion the area that carnivale mentioned is north of the cemetary/1960 overpass which is five minutes away. This area is loaded with hogs which I was warning Carnivale to watch out for as many confrontations with joggers and people have occurred. The cemetary and 1960 overpass is in the middle of humble but the small patch of woods will hold some small wildlife. The hogs were a different issue with Carnivale concerning the townsend area. I hope I made some clarifications with you.

Not meaning to start a debate, but down on Beechnut and Eldridge where it is very busy, my friend owns a Paintball field, only 3 acres only, with 2 sides facing creeks. Just within this 3 acres, with have killed already a dozen hogs. I don't know where they are coming from.

user posted image