Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

1960 Evil Overpass ! Humble, TX

NME_locus

Your welcome, Tonecop. I don't want you guys to get hurt or anything.

Nice pictures, Astrofan. To bad the church is gone. But I wonder if the hauntings is still going on.

Hi Moonprincess,

A couple weeks ago, I was sitting with my coworkers after work eating at TGIF restaurant near the 1960 overpass. I was asking some of my coworkers about any activities in this area. An older gentleman who resided in this area for the last 20 years, was sitting next to our table and overheard the conversation. This gentleman explained to us that he did hear of stories about the area and weird images that appeared around some parts of downtown humble. He also indicated that when the business were booming and more outlets were being built, stories began to die down. My coworkers thought it was funny but still disturbed that this area could be in a past graveyard. I personally feel that the stories began to fade as this area is booming which is why I moved.

Hi Moonprincess,

A couple weeks ago, I was sitting with my coworkers after work eating at TGIF restaurant near the 1960 overpass. I was asking some of my coworkers about any activities in this area. An older gentleman who resided in this area for the last 20 years, was sitting next to our table and overheard the conversation. This gentleman explained to us that he did hear of stories about the area and weird images that appeared around some parts of downtown humble. He also indicated that when the business were booming and more outlets were being built, stories began to die down. My coworkers thought it was funny but still disturbed that this area could be in a past graveyard. I personally feel that the stories began to fade as this area is booming which is why I moved.

Ok. Thanks for that info. Yeah, sometimes hauntings really do die down. Then eventually it'll disappear altogether. It's somewhat sad.

Ok. Thanks for that info. Yeah, sometimes hauntings really do die down. Then eventually it'll disappear altogether. It's somewhat sad.

That is the thing. Does the image of a place or area make a place haunted? I feel that humble during its early years was very isolated and a haven for people to create hauntings and legends. I do believe that both cemetaries were tampered and disrespected by the builders of the railroad companies and downtown developers. I also believe that the locals during the early years created this hauntings and legends to either scare outsiders from moving in or an imagination thought up from the young crowd. An example would be the gentleman I met at TGIF. He indicated to me that this rumor was most widely used during his early years and eventually died down as he got older and the town was booming.

I will admit that I am a skeptic and did indicate it to all the members that I will participate with in the investigation. I also did indicate that I have an open mind and subject to change with hard evidence such as seeing paranormal activities with my own two eyes. I am not saying that they don't exist, but indicating that other explainations are in place. An example would be how people described seeing red eyes in the forest near the cemetaries. I easily explained this as animal eyes reflecting off both artificial and moon light. I am an avid hunter and hunted many game both day and night. Red glowing eyes were indicators that they are present near our vicinity. There will always be a pro and con and most of the time I fit in the con section of paranormal invesitgation. I will admit that people I know do have legit claims to paranormal activities and would like to look at their evidence.

I would say the red eyes are from Deer. We see a lot of them in the middle of the night, standing by the roads sometimes.

I mentioned it before, but my mom's church went to the cemetery several weeks back and cleaned it up; I didn't go, so I can't say all that they did. But she said there were no signs of bums or anything. Of course they seem to migrate, for whatever reason, and might come back.

Well, that's my two cents for the day.

Edited by OriginalGuest

That is the thing. Does the image of a place or area make a place haunted? I feel that humble during its early years was very isolated and a haven for people to create hauntings and legends. I do believe that both cemetaries were tampered and disrespected by the builders of the railroad companies and downtown developers. I also believe that the locals during the early years created this hauntings and legends to either scare outsiders from moving in or an imagination thought up from the young crowd. An example would be the gentleman I met at TGIF. He indicated to me that this rumor was most widely used during his early years and eventually died down as he got older and the town was booming.

I will admit that I am a skeptic and did indicate it to all the members that I will participate with in the investigation. I also did indicate that I have an open mind and subject to change with hard evidence such as seeing paranormal activities with my own two eyes. I am not saying that they don't exist, but indicating that other explainations are in place. An example would be how people described seeing red eyes in the forest near the cemetaries. I easily explained this as animal eyes reflecting off both artificial and moon light. I am an avid hunter and hunted many game both day and night. Red glowing eyes were indicators that they are present near our vicinity. There will always be a pro and con and most of the time I fit in the con section of paranormal invesitgation. I will admit that people I know do have legit claims to paranormal activities and would like to look at their evidence.

There are alot of old fashioed people in humble still, that are against it developing further (even an amish shop accross the street from Cafe East), so it is a possiblity that some of the many Humble haunting stories were created by loacals. There are other stories there as well, such as in old town humble, which is basically downtown humble. There are many houses there, and the city was wanting to tear them down and such, and I have heard stories about the local people not letting them beacuse of some sort of haunting or something. I am not entirely sure if i conveyed that correcty, as I didnt hear it from any official source, just one of those things you hear from someone. But it does fit the descritption of the activites of a superstitious town.

I might do some more research into other hauntings in humble, to see what I come up with, just for my own curiosity, but I will post my findings on here.

One more thing, I dont know if any discussed this previously (i dont recall it in the thread) and I dont know if it was brought up outside the thread, but if anyone has a non mechanical (ie digital audio recorder), it would be great to have along on the investigation for EVP recording.

You might consider haveing some questions ready when you get there (i am hopeing I can come still). Ask a question, and wait for a response.

If it IS a mechanical recorder, make sure you use high quality tapes, and if at all possible, and external microphone. As the external mic will cut down on the mechanical noise that is transfered to the tape.

If you need any help digitally enhanceing the audio after you have it, to search for anyhting on there, I can help with that, as my band has all the equipmenet/software in place already for editing audio.

On another note, I am not sure how big the group will be, and how educated they are as to the standards of ghost hunting. I posted a long time ago about makeing sure you keep a level head and dont do anything crazy out there to keep your findings vaild.

I reconmend everyone read this article that will be participateing, as it will put everyone on the same page as to what to expect from eachother.

http://ghoststudy.com/new9/thecode.htm

Its not nessicary, and im not telling you to do so, but, I believe it to be a good guidline as to how to carry out a proper vaild investigation. Some of it might not be applicable, but its all encompasing.

EDIT: I would also consider doing the EVP recording during the initial walk through as well. Have the list of questions, and ask them in the same order. Some with a stop watch can time the responses, give about 1-3 minutes for a response (or your own judgement). I would do about two minutes personally.

Edited by Tussaud

One more thing, I dont know if any discussed this previously (i dont recall it in the thread) and I dont know if it was brought up outside the thread, but if anyone has a non mechanical (ie digital audio recorder), it would be great to have along on the investigation for EVP recording.

You might consider haveing some questions ready when you get there (i am hopeing I can come still). Ask a question, and wait for a response.

If it IS a mechanical recorder, make sure you use high quality tapes, and if at all possible, and external microphone. As the external mic will cut down on the mechanical noise that is transfered to the tape.

If you need any help digitally enhanceing the audio after you have it, to search for anyhting on there, I can help with that, as my band has all the equipmenet/software in place already for editing audio.

On another note, I am not sure how big the group will be, and how educated they are as to the standards of ghost hunting. I posted a long time ago about makeing sure you keep a level head and dont do anything crazy out there to keep your findings vaild.

I reconmend everyone read this article that will be participateing, as it will put everyone on the same page as to what to expect from eachother.

http://ghoststudy.com/new9/thecode.htm

Its not nessicary, and im not telling you to do so, but, I believe it to be a good guidline as to how to carry out a proper vaild investigation. Some of it might not be applicable, but its all encompasing.

EDIT: I would also consider doing the EVP recording during the initial walk through as well. Have the list of questions, and ask them in the same order. Some with a stop watch can time the responses, give about 1-3 minutes for a response (or your own judgement). I would do about two minutes personally.

Thank you Tussaud,

The people in our group so far are very level headed and eager to invesitgate in a civilized way. We are actually conducting an invesitgation to determine if any paranormal activities are present. Once that is accomplished than the next phase will be decided by the group. I am pretty much in charge of providing protection for the group and supplying certain equipments. The knowledge and expertise will be handled by another member who I feel confident that can accomplish this task.I will take a look at your sources for more information as any help is greatly appreciated.

I recently purchased a digital recorder and plan to take it on the investigation. Thank you for providing the link, I'll check it out.

I would say the red eyes are from Deer. We see a lot of them in the middle of the night, standing by the roads sometimes.

I mentioned it before, but my mom's church went to the cemetery several weeks back and cleaned it up; I didn't go, so I can't say all that they did. But she said there were no signs of bums or anything. Of course they seem to migrate, for whatever reason, and might come back.

Well, that's my two cents for the day.

Hi OriginalGuest,

You seem to have more knowledge in this area than probably most of us. Can you provide us a history of this area and what you and your family knows. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hi OriginalGuest,

You seem to have more knowledge in this area than probably most of us. Can you provide us a history of this area and what you and your family knows. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone know what denomination operated the old Church before it closed down?

I decided to make a solo trip to the overpass today this morning. I did find the dollar theatre and went to the back side of the area towards the tracks. I did find the trail leading to the area which everyone in the post describes as a hobo encampment. Nobody was around and it doesn't look like anyone was around for a long time. I began looking for this gravesite but was not able to find one. I did take pictures but will post later on as I need to get it developed. I did not feel any negativity or any weird activity. I was talking to my relative on the cell phone while in this area, so reception is good in this area with no weird interferences. Let me know what you think.

ToneCop:

Hey, sorry I couldn't call you back this weekend. I'm returning to Houston from Boston, Mass. today.

I'll be ready!

JulesNTX sent me an e-mail regarding future time and dates.

By the way, I won't be taking any of my real guns, but I do have a deterent I plan to take with me. At 19 shots/second.... it will have anyone curling into a ball and cry, but most importantly still not lethal. I can blind someone, even if they had a shotgun in their hands. People can't harm people if they can't see. It has every safety mechanism that's on a fire arm. BTW- I have plenty of gun control training, but since you have the authority, you the man to carry the piece.

user posted image

Hope we don't run into any crazy kats out there.

user posted image

Edited by NME_locus

ToneCop and I went to the location last night. I brought a Canon EOS Rebel digital camera with me to take some pics....and uh, various forms of protection underneath my coat :tu: My camera malfunctioned just like NME had previously mentioned that his camera did when he went a long time ago. My camera would not work in a certain area outside of the woods. We did not venture into the woods since it had just rained, but wanted to look around on the outskirts. There were only a few times out of about 50 that the camera would take a pic as I faced the woods. If I turned and faced the back of the building in the alley, it would snap a pic just fine with and without a flash. I've tried to attach a few pics, but it won't work. I'll see if I can figure out the problem and post them in a bit.

We did see some glowing eyes in the woods across from the tracks. One for sure was a raccoon and the others possibly rats or something of that nature. The camera malfunction seems to be a recurring theme in that area and did get me spooked a little. It didn't malfunction until we walked further along the path of the woodline. We didn't stay too much longer after that. If there's a logical explanation, we will do our best to find out what it is. It was really weird that the malfunction only happened in a certain area and only while facing the woods.

We'll keep y'all posted on further developments.

That is strange about the camera, was there any evidence of draining on the battery, cell phones affected?

That is strange about the camera, was there any evidence of draining on the battery, cell phones affected?

I never used my cell phone, but checked it and it seemed to have full signal strength. As far as the battery draining on the camera, I can't say I'm certain that's what happened. It was pretty dark, so I didn't have a clear view of the battery meter. The camera worked fine after we walked back to our vehicles.

ToneCop and I went to the location last night. I brought a Canon EOS Rebel digital camera with me to take some pics.. My camera malfunctioned just like NME had previously mentioned that his camera did when he went a long time ago.

You might try taking a known working camera along with that one. To see if it occurs on more than one at the same time and to compare the nature of the malfuntion. If it was a new camera, cant rule out manufacturing defect untill the camera is more proven in the line of duty. If it was good and used well, then test with another good one.

Also good ol' 35mm works wonders as well.

I would be interested to see if two camera malfuntion at the same points though, a known camera to work always, and the camera that malfunctioned for you. If I were able to go, i would take mein, ive had it for years, back when 4.1 megapixels was the max you could get. (i hate how fast technology makes my toys obsolete :hmm: )

Once you located the cemetary, it will be important to measure the distance from it to where the camera malfunctioned, and see if it can be recreated at different points on the border from different directions.

Also note the time of day, and see if it works during the day time, and not at night, or ect. If you have a camera phone, try that as well, just as an added variable.

When you make trips there, keep a written log, of times events happen, and approx location. This will help review of it, and also help to plan future expeditions. Also note and unuseual happenings with digital vs. analog watches, and I would carry a windup watch as backup. Note anything, from sounds (other than birds, and useual stuff expected), unusual feelings, something seen out of the corner of your eye, anything like that. Carry a recorder with you as well. This will help in compareing the written record to the recorded record. (most of this of course if for the main investigations where there will be a large enough group to assign someone the task of record keeping. one or two people going out there its probley not practical to do more than just a writen or recording log, but not both. )

i love scientfic investigatoins :)

:ph34r:

Edited by Tussaud

Tussaud,

I'll send you an e-mail with the confirmed meeting dates to see if you can join us. I will make notes on last night, but it was just a preliminary short visit since I haven't been there before. The camera I brought was my Dad's and he has had it several months. He has used it extensively and has never had any issues with it. We will definitely have more cameras on hand during the investigation. Tonecop took pics with a non-digital camera during the day yesterday and didn't have any issues. I'll have to confirm with him whether it was a disposable or regular 35mm with batteries.

A moderator resized these pics for me. Anvil also gave me some tips on how to do it myself with the software that I have....thank y'all :D .

I have several more pics, but will just post a few.

Pic 1 - This is one of only a few that worked while facing the woods and it was taken without flash, but Tonecop was pointing a flashlight at a tree when i took the pic.

Pic 2 - This is the back of the building on the edge of the woods and was taken with flash.

Pic 3 - This was taken with a flash at one of the entrances where the woods begin. The railroad tracks run just on the other side of the trees. Further down the woodline from here is where the camera started malfunctioning.

[attachmentid=28826][attachmentid=28827][attachmentid=28829]

post-41284-1160619113.jpg

post-41284-1160619149.jpg

post-41284-1160619991.jpg

Tussaud,

I'll send you an e-mail with the confirmed meeting dates to see if you can join us. I will make notes on last night, but it was just a preliminary short visit since I haven't been there before. The camera I brought was my Dad's and he has had it several months. He has used it extensively and has never had any issues with it. We will definitely have more cameras on hand during the investigation. Tonecop took pics with a non-digital camera during the day yesterday and didn't have any issues. I'll have to confirm with him whether it was a disposable or regular 35mm with batteries.

A moderator resized these pics for me. Anvil also gave me some tips on how to do it myself with the software that I have....thank y'all :D .

Pic 1 - This is one of only a few that worked while facing the woods and it was taken without flash, but Tonecop was pointing a flashlight at a tree when i took the pic.

Pic 2 - This is the back of the building on the edge of the woods and was taken with flash.

Pic 3 - This was taken with a flash at one of the entrances where the woods begin. The railroad tracks run just on the other side of the trees. Further down the woodline from here is where the camera started malfunctioning.

Just out of curiosity, which side of 1960 were you on, the north or south side of the road?

I posted on the wrong topic.... sorry guys :P

Edited by 22sublime22

Tussaud,

Thanks for the pics Jules. They are cool. I'm sure you noticed the phone number on the dumpster... :unsure2:

Thanks for the pics Jules. They are cool. I'm sure you noticed the phone number on the dumpster... :unsure2:

nice catch there. irony :devil: ? lol. i didnt notice that at first. ;)

:ph34r:

what is the red led flashlight for?

red light travels the least amount of distance. Green, however is the oposite. The human eyes can see more shades of grey than any other color of light. That's why night vision modes are green. ;)

Edited by NME_locus

I received some private input from Jonb...thank you so much...you're great!!! :D:tu: .

It has been suggested that my camera may have had difficulty if the auto focus was on, but the flash off. Since the wooded area was dark, it didn't have an illuminated object to focus on while taking a pic. I'll definitely put it on manual focus if I start having difficulties next time.