Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

1960 Evil Overpass ! Humble, TX

NME_locus

ToneCop:

Hey, sorry I couldn't call you back this weekend. I'm returning to Houston from Boston, Mass. today.

I'll be ready!

JulesNTX sent me an e-mail regarding future time and dates.

By the way, I won't be taking any of my real guns, but I do have a deterent I plan to take with me. At 19 shots/second.... it will have anyone curling into a ball and cry, but most importantly still not lethal. I can blind someone, even if they had a shotgun in their hands. People can't harm people if they can't see. It has every safety mechanism that's on a fire arm. BTW- I have plenty of gun control training, but since you have the authority, you the man to carry the piece.

user posted image

Hope we don't run into any crazy kats out there.

user posted image

Hi NME,

You don't have to take anything with you but your equipment. I see no threat in this area or any other activity which would require it. Both of us went to the site and we did our mini investigation to know the area. We did come to some explaination and some more questions. We did find the glowing eye bandit which turned out to be several raccoons. Julestx was having problems with her camera while focusing on certain areas of the wooded area in the tracks. Some of her pictures she took revealed several images which I cannot explain. I wanted a camera expert to offer his advice on this issue. Let me know what you think.

Edited by tonecop45

what is the red led flashlight for?

We never had a red flashlight. I had a bright tactical surefire brand and Julestx had a maglite. none of our lights had red lenses.

That is strange about the camera, was there any evidence of draining on the battery, cell phones affected?

Hi Anvil,

My cell phone and camera worked fine during my daytime visit. I did not bring my camera during the night visit as it was a cheap kmart brand. I will need to develop it later.

Oh pish posh (not really).

So, we (my friend and I) visited this area (Pancho's, Dollar Theater, woods)...

Saw a whole lotta nuthin' (you're gonna hate us).

We took pics, but nothing showed. We did think we saw some red eye looking things, but they were just flowers when we zoomed into the pic on the comps.

Did get some strange vibes (jittery on the inside, shaky legs, anxious feeling), but that's about it. Some major transformers are back there, so it could be from the electricity (watch "Ghost Hunters" much? An EMF reading would probably zing).

About the coolest thing was seeing a bird of some kind fly overhead (duck or owl, couldn't really tell, but it was a very silent flight whatever it was).

My friend swears she took more pictures than what actually showed up on her camera, but she admits she may have overestimated her picture taking (so could be something there, but maybe not...who knows).

Can someone tell us exactly where the cemetary is? We couldn't glean from the pictures earlier in the thread where it was located in relation to Pancho's (North or South of 1960?). I do remember as a younger kid (say about 4th/5th grade) walking back in that area with my dad's girlfriend's daughter and one of her friends (walking along the train tracks right there and running into a cemetary, but amn't sure if it's the same cemetary that the pictures show).

We looked at the pictures of orbs, but are rather skeptical of orbs in general (thank you "Ghost Hunters"). Has anyone any other pictures with quasi-evidence not relating to orbs?

We also took some video recording with sound, but didn't find any EVP or images of anything strange.

All in all, disappointed, but maybe it was an off night. After all, it was Friday the 13th, so maybe it was the ghosts' day off. ;)

--McEl-Zak & Co.

Can someone tell us exactly where the cemetary is? We couldn't glean from the pictures earlier in the thread where it was located in relation to Pancho's (North or South of 1960?). I do remember as a younger kid (say about 4th/5th grade) walking back in that area with my dad's girlfriend's daughter and one of her friends (walking along the train tracks right there and running into a cemetary, but amn't sure if it's the same cemetary that the pictures show).

--McEl-Zak & Co.

The cemetary is located on the north side of 1960. Not on the pancho's side. This is why I asked the (unanswered) question before to the people that went and couldnt find anything which side of 1960 they were on.

Map Ref: http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlo...c=46&zoom=9

and a satalite image: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=30%C2%B0+00....mp;t=h&om=1

The cemetary is located in the woods just north of the arrow, which the arrow is the GPS location.

We never had a red flashlight. I had a bright tactical surefire brand and Julestx had a maglite. none of our lights had red lenses.

:tu: on the Surefire. They are the best, although exceedingly expensive. I've got three myself. They had some good substitutes at Sam's Club-the Cyclops. You could get two for around $20. Suddenly, the whole display disappeared and I next saw them at Bass Pro for $32 apiece. They take the 3v camera batteries and are just a bit larger than the Surefire Outdoorsman. I believe the Outdoorsman to be just slightly brighter-but not much. The Outdoorsman is made here and that is an advantage to me, but even at the discounted price of $75, the two-pack certainly is a much better buy. The Cyclops is significantly smaller than the Surefire GP. Replacing the Cyclops, up here in southern Kansas anyway, is the Element, an LED flashlight roughly the size of the GP. The Element will run mucho longer than any 3 volt although its light is not quite as bright. I love my old Maglights, they are works of art. They are so badly outclassed by the above lights though, that it isn't even laughable. One thing you need badly on these excursions is a good flashlight-the best you can afford. The Elements are as good as any other LED's I've tried and they go for $25 for a two-pack with batteries, at Sam's. Were I going, I'd carry your Surefire for extreme brightness and the Element for just getting around. If you know the batteries are new in the LED, it almost eliminates the need for carrying spares if you are carrying a 3 volt also. The Streamlight Scorpion is a decent alternative to the GP Surefire at about the same price as one of the plastic entry-level Surefires.

If you insist on the Maglight, think about upgrading it to LED with either the proprietary Maglight kit available at Wal Mart (near $20) or the Night Eyz kit (around $9) also from WM. These improve the Mini Mags or C or D cells considerably. I have upgraded several of mine.

Tonecop probably knows all of this, but I put it here for those who don't know much about flashlights. I tried to expand a little from my original post on this subject.

For an excellent price on the ultra-expensive 3 volt batteries, try Cabela's. They sell Surefire brand batteries much cheaper than you can get them for at Wal Mart's.

The cemetary is located on the north side of 1960. Not on the pancho's side. This is why I asked the (unanswered) question before to the people that went and couldnt find anything which side of 1960 they were on.

The cemetary is located in the woods just north of the arrow, which the arrow is the GPS location.

Nobody has ever said whether Pancho's is any good to eat at? B)

Its not too bad. I have been craveing mexican food as of late as a matter of fact...

There are better restaurants though for mexican food. Comapred to the good ones, Panchoes is mediocre at best. :tu:

:ph34r:

It may not be ghosts in the woods behind Pancho's but people looking for a tree to squat behind AFTER eating at Pancho's. Just a thought. :wacko:

It may not be ghosts in the woods behind Pancho's but people looking for a tree to squat behind AFTER eating at Pancho's. Just a thought. :wacko:

I wont argue that assesment :no:

An interesting note about panchoes though. Inside they have alot of spiritual stuffs. I dont knwo what they are called, but the items hanging from the ceiling are supposed to ward away spirits. Possibly a mexican superstitious relic of some sort. Not really sure of the orgins, or exact purpose. But it appers the owners are aware of teh activity in the area. Might be worth interviewing them at some point.

I wont argue that assesment :no:

An interesting note about panchoes though. Inside they have alot of spiritual stuffs. I dont knwo what they are called, but the items hanging from the ceiling are supposed to ward away spirits. Possibly a mexican superstitious relic of some sort. Not really sure of the orgins, or exact purpose. But it appers the owners are aware of teh activity in the area. Might be worth interviewing them at some point.

That IS interesting about the decor of Pancho's. Would this Pancho's be the chain? Ifso, we've ate there in Tulsa. I've ate in quite a few Mexican places and they tend towards that kind of stuff to an extent. Do you think this Pancho's is moreso in that respect than others, Tussaud? I'm assuming you do or it wouldn't have merited mention. I know the Casa Bonita we went to in Tulsa had a lot of religious type stuff, though its use I am not aware of. Day of the Dead type stuff.

That IS interesting about the decor of Pancho's. Would this Pancho's be the chain? Ifso, we've ate there in Tulsa. I've ate in quite a few Mexican places and they tend towards that kind of stuff to an extent. Do you think this Pancho's is moreso in that respect than others, Tussaud? I'm assuming you do or it wouldn't have merited mention. I know the Casa Bonita we went to in Tulsa had a lot of religious type stuff, though its use I am not aware of. Day of the Dead type stuff.

Like I said. I am not sure of teh exact orgins or purpose. I only know what I have heard from local lore. I live just outside of humble, and spend alot of time there. Alot of people tell of different little tibits to add the complete story. I am not sure of the validity of everything, but I pose here what I have heard. Its possible others have heard the same, or know of soemthing that I do not which can substantiate aspects of the story.

I have only been to that panchos, so I do not know of the decor in others. I do know there is one out 290 near the walmart there, but I have not been to it. Its a franchise as far as I know, so that means that the interior would be decorated firstly to the franchise standards, then from there it would be up to the owners of that particular one to decorate as they see fit.

I myself am not an expert in reglious relics of anything beyond ancient egypt, so I do not know where the stories come from.

Thanks Tussaud,

I will check it out in my next visit.

:tu: on the Surefire. They are the best, although exceedingly expensive. I've got three myself. They had some good substitutes at Sam's Club-the Cyclops. You could get two for around $20. Suddenly, the whole display disappeared and I next saw them at Bass Pro for $32 apiece. They take the 3v camera batteries and are just a bit larger than the Surefire Outdoorsman. I believe the Outdoorsman to be just slightly brighter-but not much. The Outdoorsman is made here and that is an advantage to me, but even at the discounted price of $75, the two-pack certainly is a much better buy. The Cyclops is significantly smaller than the Surefire GP. Replacing the Cyclops, up here in southern Kansas anyway, is the Element, an LED flashlight roughly the size of the GP. The Element will run mucho longer than any 3 volt although its light is not quite as bright. I love my old Maglights, they are works of art. They are so badly outclassed by the above lights though, that it isn't even laughable. One thing you need badly on these excursions is a good flashlight-the best you can afford. The Elements are as good as any other LED's I've tried and they go for $25 for a two-pack with batteries, at Sam's. Were I going, I'd carry your Surefire for extreme brightness and the Element for just getting around. If you know the batteries are new in the LED, it almost eliminates the need for carrying spares if you are carrying a 3 volt also. The Streamlight Scorpion is a decent alternative to the GP Surefire at about the same price as one of the plastic entry-level Surefires.

If you insist on the Maglight, think about upgrading it to LED with either the proprietary Maglight kit available at Wal Mart (near $20) or the Night Eyz kit (around $9) also from WM. These improve the Mini Mags or C or D cells considerably. I have upgraded several of mine.

Tonecop probably knows all of this, but I put it here for those who don't know much about flashlights. I tried to expand a little from my original post on this subject.

For an excellent price on the ultra-expensive 3 volt batteries, try Cabela's. They sell Surefire brand batteries much cheaper than you can get them for at Wal Mart's.

You are correct Kiddglock,

I am a big fan of surefire for the reason of tactical carry and shooting mand grip. It is small enough to place it under my pistol while aiming. I also like the other brands you mentioned as I have carried it in the past. Where are you located?

Its not too bad. I have been craveing mexican food as of late as a matter of fact...

There are better restaurants though for mexican food. Comapred to the good ones, Panchoes is mediocre at best. :tu:

It is not the best but allright. I prefer the Arandas restaurant along the feeder. Hispanics are known to place religious items as decoratives in their dwellings or place of business. I see it all the time in every restaurant and businesses in San Antonio, TX. I will ask when I visit Pancho's again.

Thanks for the pics Jules. They are cool. I'm sure you noticed the phone number on the dumpster... :unsure2:

LOL.....I hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out. Makes the alley even more weird to me.

So, you are the one I met in the store yesterday....lol. OMG, y'all didn't waste any time....lol. Let me know if any of your pics turned out like the ones I showed you.

Edited by JulesNTX

You are correct Kiddglock,

I am a big fan of surefire for the reason of tactical carry and shooting mand grip. It is small enough to place it under my pistol while aiming. I also like the other brands you mentioned as I have carried it in the past. Where are you located?

:yes: After thinking about all this, I bought me a red filter for my Outdoorsman, at Cabela's last night. Also stocked up on batteries.

I've lived briefly in the Houston area and have a few relatives there. My Mama is from Texas. I'm just acquainted with Houston and it has been a long time since I lived there. I am FAR from expert on the Houston area and its landmarks. I actually live on US Hwy. 59 in Southern Kansas. :unsure2:

:yes: After thinking about all this, I bought me a red filter for my Outdoorsman, at Cabela's last night. Also stocked up on batteries.

I've lived briefly in the Houston area and have a few relatives there. My Mama is from Texas. I'm just acquainted with Houston and it has been a long time since I lived there. I am FAR from expert on the Houston area and its landmarks. I actually live on US Hwy. 59 in Southern Kansas. :unsure2:

Then all you have to do is head South :yes: I sent u a PM.

Then all you have to do is head South :yes: I sent u a PM.

Got it Jules-and thanks for the invitation to go on the "haunt jaunt" y'all are taking. I know you will be careful. Everybody here seems to be pretty mellow and careful. I just live too far north to consider it right now.

I know I went right over this area when I worked down there.

As to the stocking up, I'm an ex-boy scout and I've never forgotten their motto of "be prepared". lol

I live in the 59/little york area, and i am very interested in checking this out in more detail. I have been around that area many times, but i never knew about the haunting. i always felt a bit uneasy everytime i was in the area though, never could place that feeling till now. the only other time i remember feeling that was when i was hikeing back home in michigan and subled upon an old cemitary from the mid 1800s. since then i do get strange feelings from time to time, as if i can sense soemting out of the ordinary.

i am in the process of recruting a few ppl, but i would really like to go with someone that has been before as they know the layout and where to look, otherwise i will be just stubling around without a clue as to where anything is.

thanks, and this is a great thread, btw...very informative.

:EDIT::

I just found this, its very good: http://www.easttexasparanormal.org/negrocemetery.htm

These people did an investigation on the area already in the past.

::Edit again...i cant seem to leave this alone..lol::

This site has pictures of the head stones that are still there, along with a hand written note as to the inscriptions: http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/tx/cemph/harrisph.html

Scroll down to the Humble Negro Cemetery part, that is the 1960 overpass cemetery.

This is a text based link that has the same info, only in a more concise form: ftp://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/tx/ha...ies/humblen######

A mapquest map that shows the location in relation to 1960 overpass along with gps coordinates: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~p...ro_cemetery.htm

This is a post I made ages ago, just to bring everyone up to speed on the state of the area, and what to expect some what. The site with some of the lore of the area is http://www.theshadowlands.net/places/texas.htm which, some of it has to be takeing with a grain of salt, as this site has gotten things wrong before, but its extensive.

I will go ahead a quote the relevent info for this invesetigation:

Humble - 1960 Over Pass Area/Train Track - The East 1960 overpass is now built over what was once a cemetery. The overpass was built to cross a set of train tracks. Workers dug up the cemetery and moved it to the woods beside it. Now It is a extremely evil area. Several business's along the tracks have reported violent disturbances. There was a Putt Putt course along the tracks in the area that became a church, when the church would be closed in the night demonic screams could be heard from inside. The woods are very active as well, There are images seen floating through the woods as well as red lights, which are believed to be a gateway into pure evil.

Humble - Old Golf and Games - This area is now a church but was abandon for years only a haven to cults and ghosts. The ghosts here are the result of being disturbed by man moving their graves. About 97 percent of every sighting in this area the ghost appear as a rotting corpse. There's a bench just outside the building where every night there a white figure that sits on the far side of the bench. The figure is that of a human. The corpse like ghosts can also be seen in the woods across from the building wandering through the turned over gravestones and fallen church. IF YOU ATEMPT TO GO TO THIS AREA PLEASE USE EXTREAME CAUTION, THERE HAVE BEEN MURDERS AND BODIES UNCOVERED IN THE WOODS.

Humble - Old Dollar Theater - This Theater is located along a area believed to be haunted by demons and demonic forces. It is part of the 1960 overpass haunting. The workers of the theater would be attacked by the evil entity. It would throw things at them and corner them with shadows. The theater was once blessed with holy water and a cross was put in the projection booth, but everyday the cross was moved from on booth to another unexplained. Some mornings the person who was opening would hear voices from the projection rooms, and footsteps outside the hall. There was one morning when the projectionist went in and found the word "SATIN" carved in the wall of projection booth 2, this booth was where most of the bang and violent attacks occurred.

As you can see, some of its exagerated, and can be explained away.

A few of us got together last night, and disscussed it at the panchoes near there. We went to the RR tracks and took a few pics, but had some camera trouble, which I believe to be caused by lack of lighting at the site. There were a few orbs, but those too are not conclusive of anything. There were a few strange lighting effects, which can be caused by a number of various camera issues. I have a tripod that I will take next time to assist with keeping the camera at a level and steady state.

On another note, what I was telling you about last night from back home in michigan

Memphis - Memphis Cemetery - If you take M-19 (Van Dyke Rd.) and follow it through Richmond to Memphis, the cemetery is on the right side. It is a small cemetery, but there is a narrow dirt road that runs through. At the very back center of the cemetery there is a huge black marble stone called the "witch's ball". If you get close enough you can see faces and shadows in the stone, just like a crystal ball. Voices have been heard and apparitions have been seen there too.

And also

St. Clair County - Tibbitts Road Cemetery - Little girl wearing a white dress (old style) seen by people living nearby. Cemetery is really un-kept, and hard to find.

The latter is just just down from where my dad lives, where I used to go swimming all the time. Its mabey three miles away from my dads. I will get a map of the area at some point if I think of it later. Kinda off topic here, so I might just dropit for now. lol

Anyhow, we will be meeting again soon to scout out the area during the day so we are prepared at night.

As I get a chance I will get together some stuff for the EVP questions in the next day or so.

Also a bit off topic for here, I have some ideas I would like to toss around with the people involved in this investigation, so remind me of this or I will definatly forget.

We went to the RR tracks and took a few pics, but had some camera trouble, which I believe to be caused by lack of lighting at the site.

I like your new avatar.... :tu:

Last night, my camera didn't malfunction like it did last week. This is due to the fact that it was on manual focus instead of auto. Thank you Jonb for that tip. I did get a few strange pics that I haven't tried to debunk yet. Some with strings of lights that I know aren't paranormal. Tussaud will bring his tripod for the investigation and we'll see if those happen again with that.

If anyone wishes to learn more about this site, and the investiagation into it, you read here

www.houstonhauntings.ongoingmission.com which is an excellent source for keeping up todate on whats going on with the 1960 overpass.

There is alot of info there on the area, and will contain pictures from the investigation.

We tried an EVP during our daytime exploration of the area. The entire recording is still being analyzed, but this part in particular is interesting. It sounded like \"washington\" to us. The speed has been slightly reduced, but nothing else has been done. The digital recorder was left hanging from a limb above a grave. While going through the pics, I saw that one of the headstones had \"Washington\" on it. I\'ve included links for the EVP and the pic of the headstone.

One of us will keep y\'all updated after we conduct the upcoming night investigation.

http://media.putfile.com/1960-Cemetary-Was...Slightly-Slowed

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=3794968