Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tunguska Impact Crater Found?

Reincarnated

Team makes Tunguska crater claim

By Paul Rincon

BBC News

Scientists have identified a possible crater left by the biggest space impact in modern times - the Tunguska event.

linked-image

The blast levelled more than 2,000 sq km of forest near the Tunguska River in Siberia on 30 June 1908.

A comet or asteroid is thought to have exploded in the Earth's atmosphere with a force equal to 1,000 Hiroshima bombs.

Now, a University of Bologna team says a lake near the epicentre of the blast may be occupying a crater hollowed out by a chunk of rock that hit the ground.

Lake Cheko - though shallow - fits the proportions of a small, bowl-shaped impact crater, say the Italy-based scientists.

Their investigation of the lake bottom's geology reveals a funnel-like shape not seen in neighbouring lakes.

In addition, a geophysics survey of the lake bed has turned up an unusual feature about 10m down which could either be compacted lake sediments or a buried fragment of space rock.

Other features suggest a recent origin for the lake.

Source

This is some big news if it's true but once again we'll have to wait for the final verdict.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Umbarger

• Reincarnated

• Madcap

• The Mule

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm.....I'm no expert...but the area around the lake pictured appears to have undergone more errosion than what one would expect in a mere 100 years....I dont think this is it....

As I understand, the land in the area is peat and permefrost. Not a sure bet on the errosion thing but, it could explain it.\

Unfortunately, if this is true, it decimates one of my pet theories. I was always partial to the idea that the Tunguska blast was an alien ship self destructing. Not so much that it was the most elievable but, because it was the most entertaining.

I'd just wait until more information comes out about it. That's a big claim for them to making this early on in the investigation.

I'd just wait until more information comes out about it. That's a big claim for them to making this early on in the investigation.

http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/imageg...=271&gid=21

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/0706...ar_weather.html

I gather from this last story that the universe clouds are mercury, globs of mercury. From that, I surmise that in the early ages of earth, this section of the universe was filled with the cloud of the Milky Way, which is mercury. And the globs of mercury that were striking this almost liquid earth was leaving holes like the Russian crater. Seismographic evidence from this Russian lake indicates a metallic layer of some sort at the bottom. Was it an alien spacecraft?

The spectrographic image of the bottom of that lake show a funnel shape which points to a liquid and putting that together with the seimographic picture would indicate mercury.

Edited by greggK