Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Poltergeist Pete

algernon the 3rd

Here's the story about the stone throwing ghost named Pete. This all occured not too far away from where I live. I've tried finding the building that the engineering firm was based in but it appears to of been demolished.

Oh by the way the sight of this haunting is just up the road from the site of the old Gallows that I mentioned this in a previous thread (think I mentioned something about a haunting as well - and this is it).

This is taken from two newspaper articles about this haunting.

Pete By Jan Brierley. Wales On Sunday Newspaper 7/7/91

Scientists were called in to investigate reports of a mysterious apparition "seen" in a Welsh shop. Workers at the store claim a poltergeist is haunting the building. One part-time member of staff says he has seen what appears to be the ghostly image of a young boy roaming around.

He described what he saw as "a 1940`s schoolboy, wearing a Cub cap, dark short-trousers, a jacket and big black boots". The man, who didn`t want to be identified, said, "It was frightening. The first time I saw him he was standing in the door, waving to me. I couldn`t see a face or hands. I would never have believed it possible if I hadn`t seen it with my own eyes".

The Society for Psychical Research and experts in spirit phenomena from Brazil and Portugal have visited the shop in the Cathays area of Cardiff to examine the building. A spokeswoman for the London-based organisation, which studies psychic phenomena worldwide, said one of its investigators was compiling a dossier on the apparition.

The expert had himself witnessed the poltergeist`s actions first hand while staking out the shop

Staff claim the "boy" has:

SMASHED dishes and then pieced them back together.

STARTED a lawnmower.

WRITTEN gobbledegook on a word processor in the offices above the shop, and

STARTED a small fire in the workshop.

Believers in the spirit world regard poltergeists as mischievous spirits, usually of dead children.

Cardiff historian Geoff Dart has studied the area`s history in an attempt to discover the identity of the poltergeist but so far has drawn a blank.

The shop was originally part of a row of terraced houses built in 1882 which became shops in 1900. It was the home of the Frayling family but there is no evidence of the sudden death of a schoolboy.

Mr Dart said the site used to be common land, not ancient hallowed ground as is often thought. But he said the town gallows was sited nearby where two Roman Catholic priests were hung in 1679.

The shop`s owner, John Matthews, started a lawnmower business in a workshop behind the shop 11 years ago(at the time of this article). Stones were frequently thrown at the shop`s windows and he put it down to local vandals. Then four years ago, when the property was renovated, events turned bizarre.

"It all started with the poltergeist throwing things about", says Mr Matthews. "He was just throwing everything around in the shop. We looked at each other and couldn`t believe it. It was the most fascinating couple of hours I have ever spent. He`s thrown things while people have been in the shop and while reps have been here".

"It seems to stem from one corner. One day I was moving things about in that particular corner and because I was disturbing him he threw two big marbles which just missed me. Sometimes you can throw stones into the corner and they will come back at you".

He says, "I never believed in things like spirits before but I do now. But there`s no harm in him. We`ve never thought of trying to get rid of him. He just seems to like playing games with us".

Pennies From Heaven - Wales on Sunday Newspaper 11/5/97

Poltergeist Pete is a nightmare turned into a dream - he actually produces money out of thin air. The ghost with the Midas touch has spooked Welsh couple Fred and Gerry Cook for several years. Pete became a family member after haunting Fred`s place of work in Cardiff. But after settling into the family home he has vanished into thin air

Retired plumber Fred and his wife Gerry whose Cardiff home Pete moved into three years ago is baffled. "He left about two months ago", says Fred. "Since then we`ve had no money thrown at us and no oranges pinched, they became his trademark after he moved in here". "It was a couple of months ago when I was doing the washing-up. I`d just done the last item and there was a splash in the bowl, I put my hand in and there was an orange. That was the last we saw of him".

The police, of course have not been called. The only time they were was to investigate a break-in at the engineering firm on Cryws Road, Cardiff, where Pete first started haunting, throwing stones and pinning carburettor floats to the ceiling back in 1988. "he pelted the police with stones", said Fred. "But they had heard of him and knew what to expect. The men who came to replace the broken window weren`t too happy though. He pelted them too and they rushed the job and left in a hurry".

It was at the engineering shop that Fred first met Pete. "The boys who worked there used to say to him, `give me a penny` and he`d make a penny appear out of thin air and fall at their feet. Then he started giving me pounds and even notes, fivers and tenners stuck to my car in the rain".

Obviously Pete had a soft spot for Fred and, in time, revealed himself to him. "I`d never been frightened until then. I looked up and there he was sitting on a shelf. He was a young boy, wearing short trousers and a peaked cap but his head, hands and legs were just outlines, there was nothing there. After that I saw him about five or six times".

When the business in Cryws Road moved to new premises in Splott, Pete moved into Fred and Gerry`s home in Llandaff. "My grandson Craig saw him here once when I was away. He said, `He`s sitting in Grampa`s chair` and the description was of exactly the boy I`d seen. He became part of our life for a few years and we enjoyed his company. You always knew when he was around. I`d feel a very cold draught and the hairs on the back of my neck would stand on end. He`d pull our hair and put a pound in front of us. It was like having a lodger". "It has been a wonderful experience and I feel quite privileged and honoured to have had him around. But we want to get back to our normal life so, in a way, I`m glad he`s gone now. As long as he`s all right".

Ah yes - one of the best documented Poltergiest cases ever!

This story has featured on loads of TV shows, and has a chapter devoted to it in 'The Poltergiest Phenomena'.

I have my own theories as to why it lasted so long........I feel that Gerry & Fred 'needed' the poltergeist and enjoyed its antics, so they were eventually responsible for 'feeding' it with their energies.

Well if " Pete " ever feels the need to re-appear, he is more than welcome to haunt my house ( providing he can still make money appear out of thin air )

laugh.gif

Well if " Pete " ever feels the need to re-appear, he is more than welcome to haunt my house ( providing he can still make money appear out of thin air )

laugh.gif

Why did you think I tried to find the workshop wink2.gif

Ah yes - one of the best documented Poltergiest cases ever!

This story has featured on loads of TV shows, and has a chapter devoted to it in 'The Poltergiest Phenomena'.

I have my own theories as to why it lasted so long........I feel that Gerry & Fred 'needed' the poltergeist and enjoyed its antics, so they were eventually responsible for 'feeding' it with their energies.

I think it was after it was featured on some TV program or something that me and a few mates tried to find the workshop. I have a feeling that flats or something have been built on the site, might go for wander downthere to see what the score is.

I have a feeling that flats or something have been built on the site, might go for wander downthere to see what the score is.

It would be interesting to hear if any of the residents of the flats have reported anything unusual, hope you're gonna let us know if you hear anything.

thumbsup.gif

Thistle ~ as poltergeists are person-centred and not place-centred, it's highly unlikely that the new residents will have any experiences.

That said, I feel it's our duty to go and check it out ...... I'll bring some heavy-duty coin bags from work .......

wink2.gif

Hammy x x x

Thistle ~ as poltergeists are person-centred and not place-centred, it's highly unlikely that the new residents will have any experiences.

* penny drops * Thanks Hams, you are right.....another dumb blonde here lol

about the coin bags tho', I was kinda thinkin more along the lines of envelopes for paper money whistling2.gif

well Thistle .......... funny you should say that ........ Pete was fond of pinning £5 notes to the ceiling with carbaretta floats ........ so who are dumb blondes now eh ?

wink2.gif

Hammy-Einstien

PS - If you bring Bunny can I bring Teddy?

LMAO

PS - If you bring Bunny can I bring Teddy?

LMAO

LMAO........* wipes away a laughter tear * oh that hurts lol

Do you think Teddy would like Bunny ???????? w00t.gif

erm.......................... blush.gif

I'm sure I have NO idea what you mean

grin2.gif

Hammy x x x

PS - if it hurts ........ oh I cant type it - too rude

LMAO

ohmy.gifohmy.gifohmy.gif

What are you two ON?!!!!!!

Bunnies again? Naughty naughty Hammy and Thistle. wink2.gif

Dragging the thread back onto topic (as much as I hate to), where does materialised money come from?

If it was paper money, was it analyzed? What about serial numbers? Is it money that disappears from one location and is held in limbo, until needed by the poltergeist? Has any materialised money ever been kept by researchers?

Right. Back to talk of bunnies.

Please. wink2.gif

I've had a wander over to the site (or at least what I believe to be the site). Well I was right in thinking something had been built there but I was wrong in thinking it was flats sad.gif. Turns out that a new spar (there might be flats above the shop though original.gif )and church have been built there, though I guess the car park for the church is directly over the site of the workshop.

there is a poltergeist in the tombs of grey friars kirk grave yard in edinburgh and it gets energy fed to it by the visitors as the guids think it makes it stronger, wise or not who knows?

ph34r.gif

• 14 years later...

Hi.

I know this is an old post, but I just want to address algernon the 3rd's suggestion that the building has been demolished.

The building to the left of the alley way (Crwys Mews) is gone, along with the roof that covered it.  Also demolished is the corrugated-roof storage shed at the bottom end of the yard.  The building itself, at 43 Crywys Road, still stands.  Now a Lebanese restaurant, the lawnmower workshop to the rear is presumably now a kitchen prep area.

https://goo.gl/maps/3wDL4FB1mjK2

Edited by Ant1964
  • Like 1

I think all these posters are inactive now, @Ant1964 but thanks for the update. Poltergeists are curious cases. 

• Like 1

next

Edited by Coil

13 hours ago, Not A Rockstar said:

I think all these posters are inactive now, @Ant1964 but thanks for the update. Poltergeists are curious cases. 

I wonder how being non-material beings can carry material things through the walls of a house. It is said that they envelop and form around the object the energy field and the object is as if in an isolated cocoon and then transferred through material objects. (It is said that ufo ships also know how to form the energy field by the ship itself therefore their ship is not a physically movable object but an energy one and you yourself understand that a ray of light is also energy and hence the speed can be enormous .Only how they solved the problem with acceleration, I do not know)

I once talked with one girl and in her dad’s house lived  someone invisible and when he went to bed, this creature lay on his chest and it was hard for him to breathe. And when they destroyed the partition in the wall, they found a lot of missing things.

I've spent the last week searching the internet in preparation for a talk on the oddites of this area's local history with this case as it's centerpiece. Imagine my surprise then when yesterday I thought I decided to double check that I had the right location on crwys rd (turns out I had the wrong side the street) and discovered that someone had revived a 15 yr old thread to clarify this very point... 

I  managed to get hold of Fontana's original report (most of it anyway since it seems to have been carelessly digitized so frustratingly there's a number of pages missing which I've posted below

*Content removed due to copyright (too much text and no source link provided)*

Edited by Saru
Please avoid copy+pasting large amounts of material on the forums, thank you.