Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Superstitions"

goalienan

Some of them I've heard.

White lighters are incredibly bad luck to most people, though if you can transfer the lighter to someone else, the luck will follow it.

Seeing white butterflied on midnight of a summer night means you're close to death.

Lighting three cigarettes off of one match will result in the third person dying before the other two.

This one was beat into my head as a child growing up in Massachusetts: if you're ever lost in the woods, NEVER ask blindly for help, and never say your name out loud.

If you ever find a wooden pole sticking up from the ground in the wilderness, do not pull it up.

Like that comedian once said, I got a million of 'em.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goalienan

• Rosenrot

• shantiel

• Lotus Flower

I Love this thread!

Very interesting superstitions, especially those involving sailors.

I've heard that, like horses, changing a ship's name is bad luck.

In the old days, sailors believed a woman on board ship was bad luck. This is probably because most ships carried only men, and the presence of a woman would cause turmoil.

My mother, who was from Belgium, always playfully chastized our cats if they washed behind their ears with their paw. It supposedly brings rain.

I had a girlfriend who was Native American. She didn't like owls; felt they brought death to a house.

A bird in the house means someone close will die soon. I've had three or four birds fly in my open door this summer! No one close died. I wonder if it's ME? Yikes!

Fishing is always good (or bad) during a full moon. Some claim a full moon makes the fish more active. My father believed a full moon ruined fishing. He claimed it made it easier for the fish to spot insects on the water, and get their fill. Once full, the fish ignored your lure or bait. Frankly, I've never noticed a difference either way, during a full moon.

if you leave the toilet seat up, some woman will get angry. Oh wait, that's not a superstition, that's real life!

Racers believe that green cars are unlucky.

I also knock on wood ,which is hard considering I work with steel, but when there is none I tap my head instead.

13 is actually my lucky number, though I treat it with respect.

Same here! and the number 3.

• 1 month later...
I don't walk under ladders, but that is not because I consider it unlucky, but because I don't want a bucket falling on my head from above :lol:

Yeah, same here...I tried on purpose to walk under them too, just to show nothing will happen.

Some of them I've heard.

White lighters are incredibly bad luck to most people, though if you can transfer the lighter to someone else, the luck will follow it.

Seeing white butterflied on midnight of a summer night means you're close to death.

Lighting three cigarettes off of one match will result in the third person dying before the other two.

This one was beat into my head as a child growing up in Massachusetts: if you're ever lost in the woods, NEVER ask blindly for help, and never say your name out loud.

If you ever find a wooden pole sticking up from the ground in the wilderness, do not pull it up.

Like that comedian once said, I got a million of 'em.

I grew up in MA. and I never heard of that...what does it even mean? haha

Speaking about salt, a superstition I know of that most of my family usually applies to us is that whenever we pass salt container or anything the contains salt we must hand it to them and they must receive it by hand.

I have just heard of it to be thrown over your left shoulder for luck.

every time my dad sees a white horse with one hand he rubs his other hand in a circular motion 3 times and then does like a "paper,rock, scissor" type deal. :huh:

But horses don't have hands hahahaha

every night, once im ready to go to bed, i have 30 seconds to get my pj's on and through my dirt clothes in hamper downstairs and run back up to my bed. :blink:

Because of what????????? :huh:

Okay here is one when your right palm itches it means that you'll be getting money soon.

And this other one is called Ojo. It is the evil eye. They say if someone stare at you in envy of your looks or your hair, etc. And they don't touch what they are in envy of (like your hair) that night you will get a fever for no reason, and nothing will get rid of it. So you have to have someone rub a raw egg on you in the sign of the cross while saying a prayer all over your body. Then Crack he egg in a bowl and put it under the bed you sleep in. And if you indeed have Ojo, the egg will be slightly cooked the next morning.

Yeah I know weird. It's a hispanic thing. ^_^

And this other one is called Ojo. It is the evil eye. They say if someone stare at you in envy of your looks or your hair, etc. And they don't touch what they are in envy of (like your hair) that night you will get a fever for no reason, and nothing will get rid of it. So you have to have someone rub a raw egg on you in the sign of the cross while saying a prayer all over your body. Then Crack he egg in a bowl and put it under the bed you sleep in. And if you indeed have Ojo, the egg will be slightly cooked the next morning.

Actually the Evil Eye is found in many different cultures.

Anyway, I was actually going to ask if anyone has superstitions about how to call snow/how to tell if it's going to snow/or just about snow in general. Because I WANT SNOW!!!

Actually the Evil Eye is found in many different cultures.

Anyway, I was actually going to ask if anyone has superstitions about how to call snow/how to tell if it's going to snow/or just about snow in general. Because I WANT SNOW!!!

You and me both...Our winters have been crazy here in Jersey, and I love the snow...Now i"m off to check on any superstitions that will help us both.... :D

Here's one that doesn't make sense, but it's a superstition...You have to dream of the color white and it will snow in the summer :hmm:

Edited by goalienan

Okay here is one when your right palm itches it means that you'll be getting money soon.

Yeah I know weird. It's a hispanic thing. ^_^

That's interesting, I dont know to much about Spanish superstitions so thanks... :)

That's interesting, I dont know to much about Spanish superstitions so thanks... :)

What's funny is that I was walking in the mall the other day and saw a t shirt that said "I'm okay my grandma rubbed an egg on me". I lmao.

You and me both...Our winters have been crazy here in Jersey, and I love the snow...Now i"m off to check on any superstitions that will help us both.... :D

Here's one that doesn't make sense, but it's a superstition...You have to dream of the color white and it will snow in the summer :hmm:

Last winter where my mom lives, the most snow they got was under a centimeter!!! And that's in Southern Virginia!! When I lived there years back I remember getting at least a foot of snow. Now I'm living in the Blue Ridge, so hopefully I'll see snow here. But I'm gonna try every snow superstition out there to add just a little extra luck. ;) I know it won't be snow like the Alps, but I still want to see snow.

Oh and about the dreaming of white and snow. Does that mean dreaming of something white or just dreaming and there is white there?

Last winter where my mom lives, the most snow they got was under a centimeter!!! And that's in Southern Virginia!! When I lived there years back I remember getting at least a foot of snow. Now I'm living in the Blue Ridge, so hopefully I'll see snow here. But I'm gonna try every snow superstition out there to add just a little extra luck. ;) I know it won't be snow like the Alps, but I still want to see snow.

Oh and about the dreaming of white and snow. Does that mean dreaming of something white or just dreaming and there is white there?

We used to get great storms in Jersey, but last year we got very little, sigh...About 5 years ago, our bay in town froze, and for 2 weeks the kids, adults, all got to go ice skating, pull sleds, play ice hockey...It was great.....Back to the dream, It said you had to dream of white, so I guess anything that is white will do...Ill leave it up to you...I seldom dream...lol

We used to get great storms in Jersey, but last year we got very little, sigh...About 5 years ago, our bay in town froze, and for 2 weeks the kids, adults, all got to go ice skating, pull sleds, play ice hockey...It was great.....Back to the dream, It said you had to dream of white, so I guess anything that is white will do...Ill leave it up to you...I seldom dream...lol

So I will dream of paper. White paper. Think white paper. Think white paper. Think white paper.

my mom has got one seemingly for everything you do.... "oooo don't cut your nails on a sunday", "don't put new shoes on a table" - some really bizarre ones too, but they're not springing to mind because they're so obscure and she's in australia on holiday!

my mom has got one seemingly for everything you do.... "oooo don't cut your nails on a sunday", "don't put new shoes on a table" - some really bizarre ones too, but they're not springing to mind because they're so obscure and she's in australia on holiday!

Do you know I still do that with shoes, both old and new...Some things stay with you forever.... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some Halloween superstitions....

A burning candle inside a Jack O' Lantern on Halloween keeps evil spirits and demons at bay.

Gazing into a flame of a candle on Halloween night will enable you to peer into the future.

A person born on Halloween can both see and talk to spirits.

If you see a spider on Halloween it could be the spirit of a loved one who is watching you...

man i have heaps of superstitions. it drives my partner nuts ha ha

duck head when going under a bridge

hold breathe and make a wish when going over a bridge with water

lift feet over train tracks

dont cut the air with scissors.. only use them for cutting paper/material

dont walk under a ladder

dont flip hair over face and brush it like so at night

dont blow out candles. wet fingers and pinch out the wick

dont put new shoes on a table

although some i dont believe is breaking a mirror equates seven years bad luck.. seven is a lucky number supposedly, although i still wont be breaking mirrors (except on purpose when i make things)

a black cat is only bad luck when it crosses your path twice ie.. walks in front of you = good luck, doubles back and goes the way it came = bad luck

rant over :)

Not to be raciest but my friend is black and he says that if you sweep his feet with a broom he could wind up in jail,go figure?

duck head when going under a bridge

hold breathe and make a wish when going over a bridge with water

lift feet over train tracks

dont cut the air with scissors.. only use them for cutting paper/material

dont walk under a ladder

dont flip hair over face and brush it like so at night

dont blow out candles. wet fingers and pinch out the wick

dont put new shoes on a table

I have a best friend who holds her breath going over bridges. We once crossed a causeway over to an island. The bridge was about two miles long. She almost turned blue in the face. Literally! And she also holds her feet up over railroad tracks.

But the ones I don't get are not cutting the air with scissors, not flipping your hair over, and not blowing out candles. Are they just bad luck or what?

I don't believe in superstitions but my mum does. She never puts keys or shoes on the table and she hates Friday the 13th.