Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sweden donates more than the US

Immortal Norway

Well, I'm disgusted both with the original article that started this thread, and SOME of the commentary that subsequent posters provided.

Lets get back to basics. I'm not an American, so perhaps some of the US posters can confirm/deny wether my information is correct.

It is my understanding that the American Constitution authorises the US Government to levy taxes against its citizens in order to fulfill functions that individual Americans would find hard to do. (defence, infrastructure etc).

Could someone point out the passage in the Constitution whereby America has to bankroll the world ?

The US government CHOSE to provide aid to the regions effected by the Tsunami. From a constituational point, the US citizens where in their right to block this. AFter all, it was US taxpayers money (money taken out of the pocket of normal working US citizens) which was sent to non-US citizens.

This was an act of generosity... and for THIS, America is being criticised ?

Let me quote a passage from the story...

So this is an opinion from a 'UN beurocrat' who has probably never EARNED any money in his life. (e.g. never provided or manufactored goods or services). Not only is he an unproductive tax-eater, but he critizises a nation for NOT GIVING ENOUGH when they never had any obligation to give anything ANYWAY, and risked the ire of their citizens by giving it in the first place.

But it gets better in the second snippet - he dares to compare it with how much the republican party spent on an election. How DARE a UN tax-eater criticize the mechanism of US internal elections ?

Perhaps the Norwegian Embassador to the UN should realise how much of his wages are provided by the USA.

Better still... the USA could use the "Yemini" solution against the UN, and see how they like THOSE apples.

Bah !

Meow Purr.

And guess who pays that wimpy UN bureaucrat's salary...........that's right the US pays most of the UN bills.

First off, we do have a military of our own. Second, our spineless government allows NATO troops to train on our grounds, so we are basically friends with them. Regarding the Second World War, how exactly are you thinking, AW? It was our (more or less) neutrality during the WWII which saved us from the soviets and the Nazis.

Talk about giving undeserved credit to the US (and UK).

This stuff always makes me want to roll my eyes.

Immigrants who desperately want to come to the 'land of opportunity' have some kind of romanticized image of the US. Jealousy? For what? The US that is depicted in Hollywood movies, maybe. But the more than 38 million living under the poverty line doesn't really give me the impression of a healthy nation.

Well Sweden had a juicy World War II involvement. Let's take a look at the facts. Did they help the allies? No, and so somehow that helped them become 'saved' from the Soviets and Nazis..... Ok :rolleyes: . But there were quite a few serving the Fuhrer.

Order of battle of the SS-Panzer-Aufklärung-Abteilung 11

Kommandeur: SS-Hstf Rudolf Saalbach

Stab Adjuntant: Ostf. Eriksen (1944), Ostf. Schmitz

Abteilung.Arzt: Dr. Artner

Authorized strength of the Abteilung: 800

Späh-Kompanie 1: (Ostf. Lorenz)

1. Zug w/ SPW (4 u. 8 Rad-Spähwagen/4 & 8 wheeled Armored Cars)

2. Zug w/ SPW

3. Zug w/ SPW

4. Zug w/ SPW

Späh-Kompanie 2: (Ostf. Heckmueller)

1. Zug w/ Halbketten-Spähwagen (Half-track Armored Cars)

2. Zug w/ Halbketten-Spähwagen

3. Zug w/ Halbketten-Spähwagen

4. Zug w/ Halbketten-Spähwagen

Panzergrenadier-Kompanie 3 "Swedenzug": (Ostf. Kaiser, Ostf. Pehrsson, Ostf. Ahrens, Ostf. Pehrsson)

(Authorized strenght of this Kompanie: 160; 1. - 3. Zug had Romanian Volksdeutsche)

1. Zug w/ SPW

2. Zug w/ SPW

3. Zug w/ SPW

4. Zug w/ mortar and sMG (Swedish) [1 officer, 5 NCO, 35 men]

Panzergrenadier-Kompanie 4: (Ostf. Viehmann)

1. Zug w/ SPW

2. Zug w/ SPW

3. Zug w/ SPW

4. Zug w/ SPW

schwere-Kompanie 5: (Ostf. Schmidt)

Panzerjäger-Zug (4 75mm PAK 40)

le.Inf.Gesch.Zug (6 75mm le.Inf.Gesch.Sfl.)

s.Inf.Gesch.Zug (2 150mm s.Inf.Gesch.)

Pionier-Zug (w/ Flammenwerfer)

Source: Lennart Westberg, Die schwedischen Freiwilligen der Waffen-SS

Yeah I was thinking the same thing...since when did Sweden not have its own military? Don't know where AW got that piece of info from.

In the grand scheme of things their military is small and relatively insignificant. I never said they had no military. Reread my words.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BrucePrime

• Aztec Warrior

• Lt_Ripley

• Immortal Norway

Shame? Shame is starting/trolling a lame, misinformed thread from 04 without finding updated info on the subject.

Hey..here on UM..any thread that bashes America is completely OK..no matter how unfounded.. :tu:

I really wish we would go isolationist so the world can deal with Islamic extremism on its own (hence my siggy)..I also wish that America would start hating the world as much as they hate us..(hooboy..wouldn't that change things..making America an enemy..keep it up..it might happen one day..Personally, it would suit me just fine.....)

We really don't need any of Europe for anything...

Europe would rather hate us than hate the islamic fundamentalists.

Hey..here on UM..any thread that bashes America is completely OK..no matter how unfounded.. :tu:

I really wish we would go isolationist so the world can deal with Islamic extremism on its own (hence my siggy)..I also wish that America would start hating the world as much as they hate us..(hooboy..wouldn't that change things..making America an enemy..keep it up..it might happen one day..Personally, it would suit me just fine.....)

Good good, as long as you're not generalising or anything... ^_^

A short story the guy down the street from you has a housefire, it damages his building severely and the neighborhood decides to have a whip around to collect money to help him rebuild. Everyone in the neighborhood gives, no one is obligated to but they do. A few weeks later you hear your neighbor gossiping about the guy two doors down from you.

"You know he has a new car and just had an addition built on to his house but he only gave X amount meanwhile I gave Y amount and I only have a income of Z. You know he makes like twice as much as me right?" The gossip is saying that he should have given more because he is better off than the rest of the street financially. Negative feelings begin to develop about the neighbor as the gossip spreads.

Meanwhile the neighbor has actually given a great deal of money to the cause. Also he is in the process of assisting others with what he can and has monetarily stretched himself rather thin. He is in debt up to his ears from all of the tasks that he has tried to undertake for both his own benefit and that of others in the community (including his funding a large chunk of the money responsible for paying the neighborhood watch) but none of this matters to the gossips. All that they seem to be concerned with is the fact that they perceive him as not caring to give more.

Edited by laughing tanuki

How much of a hand out do people friggin need?

How about this? We give ONLY what's needed. Not a stupid contest to give the most. What a joke. So instead of doing things for the world we can just write a big fat check?

Sounds good to me. When the Swedes come up with something more significant than IKEA to have a global impact, then I'll sit up and take notice.

Well Sweden had a juicy World War II involvement. Let's take a look at the facts. Did they help the allies? No, and so somehow that helped them become 'saved' from the Soviets and Nazis..... Ok :rolleyes: . But there were quite a few serving the Fuhrer.

In the grand scheme of things their military is small and relatively insignificant. I never said they had no military. Reread my words.

I'm not sure what that list of Abteilung is supposed to prove? Is it some sort of proof that Sweden was saved by the allies? That is what you were originally saying.

From Wikipedia:

"Responding to German appeals for ethnic Aryan volunteers, approximately 180 Swedes ignored neutrality to enlist in Germany's elite Waffen-SS, and saw combat against Soviet troops on the Eastern Front. This was a choice made by individual Swedish citizens, and not Swedish government policy. This number was small compared to most other countries (Norway 10,000, Denmark 20,000, France 11,000, Netherlands 20,000. [1]) while many more joined the allies, also outside of government policy."

Wikipedia

A small number of swedes fought alongside the germans. A large number of swedes (approx 8000) fought in the finnish winter war against the soviets. Sweden did also allow germans to use their railways to transport an infantry division from Norway to Finland, and exported large amounts of iron ore to the German weapons industry. In addition to this, Sweden received thousands of Jewish immigrants from denmark, and war orphans from Finland. None of this, however, points toward Sweden being occupied by the nazis or soviets .

In the grand scheme of things Sweden is rather small and insignificant.

Your original words were:

They don't really have a military.

Aren't you one cheerful individual. You seem to hating Europe more than most Europeans hate America. And for what? A few individuals and some French? French, who hate each other as well? :D Have you ever even been to Europe? Europe has *quite* a bit of diversity in it you know; either you need to be pretty hateful to hate it all, or just don't understand it's not the United States of Europe (at least yet :o ). I would love to know though, what would happen/have happened if Islamic extremism was dealt without America. Just out of curiosity. (edit: notice, I'm not trying to say America hasn't done anything good regarding it, I'm just saying I'd love to see a plausible what if -scenario.)

Oh, and nice to see someone told AW what's up. And AW, as you can see from Dusty's post, you did state Sweden doesn't really have an army. An army of 60,000 isn't completely useless, especially when considering Sweden's location. And in a small and insignificant country on a global scale, I'd say a small and insignificant army fits pretty well. If I were Sweden, I wouldn't be spending billions and billions annually in military.

As a sidenote, the original topic in this thread is pretty dumb in my opinion; since when has donating money/giving aid been a competition? Come on. A lot of people say America should just mind its own business, yet the same people often criticize America for not giving enough aid. Does anyone else see a paradox here?

Edited by Clocker

And guess who pays that wimpy UN bureaucrat's salary...........that's right the US pays most of the UN bills

the US is supposed to pay 25% of UN dues. the next country to pay more is Japan at 12 and a half ( then again it goes by GDP )- but

the US is more than a billion behind in paying any dues at all.

PriceOfPeace.org petition calls for the U.S. to honor its U.N. commitments; collects over 32,000 signatures from 50 states, support from 35 NGOs.

Washington, D.C. (Vocus/PRWeb) June 19, 2007 -- The Better World Campaign delivered to Congress today a petition calling for the U.S. to fully fund UN peacekeeping operations. The statement, signed by over 32,000 people from 50 states, and supported by 35 civil society groups, calls on the Congress to make up the $500 million shortfall in the Bush Administration's budget request for UN peacekeeping. The petition, housed online at www.PriceOfPeace.org, was delivered as the U.S. approaches a $1 billion debt to UN peacekeeping, and in advance of the House of Representative's vote on the State and Foreign Operations Appropriations bill--a portion of which is allocated for peacekeeping funding--expected this Wednesday.

"Full U.S. support of UN peacekeeping will make a significant contribution to U.S. re-engagement in the world, reinforce the basic support of the American people, and provide additional leverage for continuing reform at the UN," Wirth added.

"U.S. rhetoric must be matched by financial commitment if UN peacekeeping missions are to succeed. To win the fight against lawlessness, the United States must keep its word and pay its UN peacekeeping bill," Wirth concluded.

The U.S. uses its permanent seat on the UN Security Council to call and vote for UN peacekeeping missions, recently including those in Somalia, Lebanon, Sudan, Haiti, and East Timor. UN peacekeeping operations have grown exponentially in the past two decades, and now have over 100,000 military and civilian personnel engaged in 18 locations in Africa, Europe, Asia, the Americas, and the Middle East, making UN peacekeeping the second-largest deployed military force in the world.

http://www.emediawire.com/releases/2007/6/emw534497.htm

http://www.betterworldcampaign.org/

Edited by Lt_Ripley

the US is supposed to pay 25% of UN dues. the next country to pay more is Japan at 12 and a half ( then again it goes by GDP )- but

the US is more than a billion behind in paying any dues at all.

Wow...so in my scenario apparently the neighbors already know about the guys financial issues since he is back on his payments to help upekeep of the watch. Makes the gossip seem even worse to me.

PriceOfPeace.org petition calls for the U.S. to honor its U.N. commitments; collects over 32,000 signatures from 50 states, support from 35 NGOs.

Washington, D.C. (Vocus/PRWeb) June 19, 2007 -- The Better World Campaign delivered to Congress today a petition calling for the U.S. to fully fund UN peacekeeping operations. The statement, signed by over 32,000 people from 50 states, and supported by 35 civil society groups, calls on the Congress to make up the $500 million shortfall in the Bush Administration's budget request for UN peacekeeping.

32,000 signatures, interesting number but not exactly a majority of the citizens of the U.S. (heck that wouldn't even be a majority in a single large U.S. city)yet the bill went through. I imagine the bill went through because it was money already owed not because of this petition.

"Full U.S. support of UN peacekeeping will make a significant contribution to U.S. re-engagement in the world, reinforce the basic support of the American people, and provide additional leverage for continuing reform at the UN," Wirth added.

Ummm that is rather wishful thinking, I can see how the first part might come to pass but reinforcing the support of the American people by spending money on something that less than a percentage of the populace petitioned for...why on earth does anyone think this would be the logical result? What it makes me wonder is what we could be taking care of here in the U.S. if we didn't pay that bill. By making me more aware of it leaving the country it actually makes my opinion of our position in the UN less positive. Just think of all the schools we could fix with that money. Maybe we should pay the bill and back the heck out since it is such an expensive membership. I mean since the rest of the world thinks the US is a jerk then why should we stay in the club and spend cash that we could better use at home?

This is an old story, and a feeble attempt to undermine the U.S.A. It seems that everyone wants to just throw money at problems and expect them to be resolved in an efficient, organized way. But, that is usually not the case-- too many bureaucracies in the way mismanaging the money. This particular disaster needed quick and efficient action soon after the event, and it just so happens that my brother was on the U.S.S Abraham Lincoln at that time. They responded as quickly as the ship would allow, and provided crucial services to that area... especially Indonesia, if I remember correctly. My brother was on the grounds there providing medical attention and whatever else was necessary. They were there when the people needed them most, and in my mind that is more valuable than some dollar figures thrown out there.

Just a couple of questions about personal charitable donations in the US. Are they tax deductable ?, i.e. are they given from gross income and then the citizen is then taxed on the net ? And if so does it make any difference who you give your money to ?

Just a couple of questions about personal charitable donations in the US. Are they tax deductable ?, i.e. are they given from gross income and then the citizen is then taxed on the net ? And if so does it make any difference who you give your money to ?

Yes they are..as long as it is a verified charitable organization listed on what they call 'Pub 78' (They will have had to fill out proper tax verification to the IRS for said status-IRS Form 990 I believe) As long as they are on that list, no, I don't think that it matters who you donate to.

On the personal end, any deductions for personal donations (accrued or one time) over $250 (at least it used to be) had to have a verifyable reciept issed from the charitble organization for said donations for a particular tax year.

Edited by Pinky Floyd

alot of really rich people all over the world could donate alot of money, like man they got a couple billion, if they gave 1 billion they still didnt need to work for the rest of their lives, all they care about is the amount of money they got, the more the better, so giving away just a dime is like blowing up a country