Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Love Rollercoaster, true or not?

Black_Glitter

Has anyone ever heard of the legend of the song "Love Rollercoaster" which was made by the Ohio Players in 1975 (great dance hit!). Anyway, there's two stories. One is about a woman that modeled for the album cover, she was covered in the acrylic substance to make it look like she was dripping in honey (hence their album title), but when the crew members tried to get it off of her, it tore off her flesh. Another story is about a cleaning woman who was stabbed to death in a dark corner of the recording studio.

I listened to this song more closely and I do hear the scream in it. I heard it at the beginning of the song and in the middle of the song. I really don't believe it's true, but both of the stories do sound like they could be true.

What is your opinion of the song?

It's a member of the group (bare in mind that they're black), screaming to the music. Thats it!

I listened to this song more closely and I do hear the scream in it. I heard it at the beginning of the song and in the middle of the song. I really don't believe it's true, but both of the stories do sound like they could be true.

Of course it could be true, this is real life anything can happen.

Doesn't mean you have to believe it just because it COULD be true.

I don't think its real, wouldn't you stop singing if you saw someone get stabbed to death?

I don't think its real, wouldn't you stop singing if you saw someone get stabbed to death?

I never said I believed it, but I was just giving some food for thought.

I do agree that if someone screamed for any reason that they would've stopped singing.

LMAO Prime...so true.

Yes, it is NOT true. It actually was a media tactic to sell more albums.

No death, no killing; total urband legend.

:) Jody

Trust me it's a black man screaming to the music. There's no foul play in it.

Has anyone ever heard of the legend of the song "Love Rollercoaster" which was made by the Ohio Players in 1975 (great dance hit!). Anyway, there's two stories. One is about a woman that modeled for the album cover, she was covered in the acrylic substance to make it look like she was dripping in honey (hence their album title), but when the crew members tried to get it off of her, it tore off her flesh. Another story is about a cleaning woman who was stabbed to death in a dark corner of the recording studio.

Yes of course i've heard of this Urban Legend, it's actually one of my favorites because of it's re-release and publication on the Internet (with inclusion of sound clips, etc.), but let me correct you on the basic story:

"Love Rollercoaster" is a song by American funk/R&B band The Ohio Players, originally featured on their 1975 album Honey. The song was a hit upon its initial release, reaching the top of both the R&B and pop charts, and still sees wide airplay on classic funk and R&B stations. The song uses the roller coaster, a common theme park attraction, as a metaphor for the ups and downs of dating and romantic relationships.

The first half of the Urban Legend begins like this; While the song is known within the music community for its distinctive and influential sound, within the popular imagination it remains best identified with a persistent urban legend. During an instrumental portion of the song, a high-pitched scream is heard (between 2:32 and 2:35); according to the legend, this is the scream of LeRoy Phillips, but who the victim is varies greatly depending on the teller. The supposed sources of the scream have included an individual who was killed at some prior time, his scream inexplicebly recorded and looped into the track, or a rabbit being murdered outside the studio whose scream was accidentally picked up the band's recording equipment (of all the explanations, this is the least plausible — professional recording studios are soundproof).

The most widespread version of the myth, however, tells that LeRoy who appeared seminude on the Honey album cover had suffered permanent disfigurement due to the substance used to replicate honey for the photo, and interrupted the band's recording session, at which point he was stabbed to death.

Jimmy "Diamond" Williams explained that the scream was nothing eerie or disturbing:

"There is a part in the song where there's a breakdown. It's guitars and it's right before the second verse and LeRoy does one of those inhaling-type screeches like Minnie Ripperton did to reach her high note or Mariah Carey does to go octaves above. The DJ made this crack and it swept the country. People were asking us, 'Did you kill this dude in the studio?' The band took a vow of silence because that makes you sell more records." LeRoy lives on today.

In conclusion, thanks to some Disc Jockey in a rural area of Ohio (his name is still anonimous today, go figure), this urban legend weas given a "spice".

:geek:

• 1 month later...

From what I've read its a member of the band screaming to show the reaction people get from going on a roller coaster. I think it was ment to sound like a fair ground scream but turned out to be slightly blood curdling lol.

I've heard that one before.. I don't believe it... You could take pretty much any song and get something freaky out of it...doesn't mean its not true.. find it very hard to believe though,,

its like gloomy sunday.. "the suicide song"... just a normal song IMO... but who knows..

We've seen this topic SOOO many times on this forum. I think it's safe to say no one got killed, and it probably wasn't the lady on cover either. :tu:

I suppose you could always find out who the model was and then google her name or something. See what other work shes done, if shes done any. Another rumour went around that it was the red hot chilli peppers version and they were on a radio station talking about it and emphasised the story about the girl being murdered. Cant find anything mentioning them saying she was killed though so I dont think thats the truth either lol.

I heard both of the screams, but that does not mean that a cleaning lady was stabbed. How could the scream get into the micro phones through the sound-proof rooms?

The title of the song is called Love Rollercoaster, I'm sure it was the singer hitting a high note to imitate a scream, like when on a rollercoaster.

This was on Wikipedia

The most widespread version of the myth, however, tells that LeRoy, who appeared seminude on the Honey album cover, had suffered permanent disfigurement due to the substance used to replicate honey for the photo; he interrupted the band's recording session, so the story says, at which point he was stabbed to death.

Jimmy "Diamond" Williams explained that the scream was nothing eerie or disturbing:

"There is a part in the song where there's a breakdown. It's guitars and it's right before the second verse and LeRoy does one of those inhaling-type screeches like Minnie Ripperton did to reach her high note or Mariah Carey does to go octaves above. The DJ made this crack and it swept the country. People were asking us, 'Did you kill this dude in the studio?' The band took a vow of silence because that makes you sell more records." LeRoy lives on today.~ Jimmy Williams

Edited by Regency

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...

I remember back in 75 when the song first came out, my bf told me about the scream.  Seems everyone believed it to be true then.  Idk.

• Like 1

This topic is 11 years old and I don't think any of these posters are still around. It was a cool song, though, and not likely that a scream outside would have gotten inside a professional sound booth. I graduated HS in 77 and we didn't believe it but it was cool to talk about.

Welcome to the forums @LKR 

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2007 at 3:25 AM, ZombieHunter117 said:

Creepy you never know if its true or not.

Despite all the evidence that its false........:(