Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Johnston: 'So glad to be free'

__Kratos__

GAZA CITY (CNN) -- BBC correspondent Alan Johnston was released early Wednesday, ending the longest ever captivity of a journalist in Gaza.

"I am so glad to be free," Johnston told CNN's Ben Wedeman. "It's great to be able to talk to people like you."

The ordeal, which began when he was kidnapped March 12 by a group calling itself the Army of Islam, was "a nightmare, and I didn't think it would ever end," Johnston said.

Appearing at a press conference with former Palestinian Authority Prime Minister Ismail Haniya, Johnston said his captivity was "like being buried alive, really ... you didn't know when it might end."

More of the article here... Link

---------------------------------------

It's great to see that he's free and safe now. :tu:

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GreyWeather

• BrucePrime

• __Kratos__

• Commander CMG

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The timing is pretty good... however it is always nice to see a release, great news and all the best to him and his family for the future.

This is VERY good news.

The chances of him being released looked grim....so he and his family, his friends and colleagues...

must be soooo happy. :)

...It was probably Hamas who took him in the first place, or he had some influence in it. His campaign stated that once he got into power he'd set him free, now that he is free Hamas will have a more positive inlook from other nations >>> getting more aid against famas.

Edited by Chokmah

I'm glad he was sent free & alive. I was worried about him. And he would be found dead. But that's some great news.

Hah, on the news today they asked a rhetorical question; "seeing this, should we begin to support hamas".

Hamas' propaganda seems to worked... it seems.

I wonder if he will keep his "Islamic" name or stay a convert to Islam...

it's good to see him released. taking hostages is how a coward deals with a situation.

now , once again playing devils advocate , -

While his captors were not violent, he told reporters after crossing into Israel, they were often "rude and unfriendly" and sometimes threatened his life. He said he was chained briefly and became sick twice.

what of the many innocent Arabic citizens being held in US prisons for years without even being told of charges ? the abuse they suffered at our hands? when will they be released ? or is it the US fears that in releasing people that were innocent what they have done is actually created possible terrorists by their own actions ?

what about them ? they are in fact 'hostages' as well.

it's good to see him released. taking hostages is how a coward deals with a situation.

now , once again playing devils advocate , -

what of the many innocent Arabic citizens being held in US prisons for years without even being told of charges ? the abuse they suffered at our hands? when will they be released ? or is it the US fears that in releasing people that were innocent what they have done is actually created possible terrorists by their own actions ?

what about them ? they are in fact 'hostages' as well.

Somehow, I really don't see a reporter and a suspected terrorist/combatant picked up on the battlefield to be the same thing.

Then again, I'm not one to morally equivocate either.

Love it how you just called our troops cowards. Not everyone can be as brave as you or I, typing away at our keyboards, railing against the government in a country where you have Freedom of Speech.

Edited by BrucePrime