Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
snowman

American Haunting the movie

snowman

Just saw it last night...I don't get it was Donald Sutherland molesting his daughter? Was the mother in on it?? I don't remember the actual story having that aspect in it...Was the daughter the ghost as well?? PLEASE HELP..

JustNormal

='snowman' date='Jul 4 2007, 05:08 PM' post='1758035']

Just saw it last night...I don't get it was Donald Sutherland molesting his daughter? Was the mother in on it?? I don't remember the actual story having that aspect in it...Was the daughter the ghost as well?? PLEASE HELP..

I have never seen it, but I do know it's based on the Bell Witch Story..Here is some info on the details..KN

http://www.anamericanhaunting.com/flash_index.html

veledran

My understanding is that there was no evidence of molestation and the script writer decided "let's do this". So now people will think it's poltergeist from a molested girl instead of another type of haunting or completely fabricated. It also slanders the father pretty horribly.

Edited by veledran

tahari01

I agree. The movie that was released in theaters isn't the accurate story of the Bell Witch haunting. The father never molested the daughter. That's Hollywood for you! Leave it to THEM to make something worse of the story that wasn't even the truth!

supervike

Yep, you got it....

It was the father molesting the daughter, which 'killed her innocence'...which apparently made the haunting. The mother was not in on it, but just refused to see the truth....

Then the flash forward back to 'modern' time...that daughter is also being molested.

I think the message is clear...Men are pigs and always want to hurt their daughters. I think the screenwriter or the director had an axe to grind.

bluelight

this movie's ending was unexpected and so unnecessary >.>

Aztec Warrior

I haven't seen it, but the reviews were horrible. Does anyone recommend it?

snowman
this movie's ending was unexpected and so unnecessary >.>

I sooo agree....I wouldn't recommend it... Especially if you know the true story of THE BELL WITCH, because it just doesn't follow.....Man I would so love to see a TRUE representation of this story put to film....By far IMO the BEST ghost story, especially if ANY of it is actually true...Hollywood did such a dis-service to the true story....Thanks for all the help everyone....

Shalott

It definitely wasn't the true telling of the Bell Witch haunting, not by a long shot. I think the writer thought the daughter being molested would be a nice twist, but I hate when movies simply claim to be based on a true story and then they only use a small aspect of the tale. I just think if they're gonna use a story at least let it be an accurate representation, if only because someone will see it and assume it's the true tale, tell others, and then the actual story gets even more added to it, factors change, and people no longer appreciate the story due to how muddied it's gotten.