Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Six-year old girl disemboweled in a pool

dorkybatty

thats horrible :(, isnt it illegal for companies to make drains like that anyway for health and safety issues?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• joc

• MissMelsWell

• dorkybatty

• She-ra

I remember hearing stories like this as a kid, however I don't really believe it. Any person who has ever dissected an animal would know that the intestines as part of the digestive tract are ...thereby connected to the mouth. So unless the innards were already severed inside and detatched from the membranes encasing them and such, the most that might happen would be one could have a bad hemmoroid.

And...having dissected the intestines you should know that they are actually one long tube, winding back and forth like a river...each 'winding' being connected with membranous tissue. The force of the suction from these huge pumps did indeed suck her intestines out. The centrifugal force was greater than the strength of the membranous tissue that holds the intestines in place.

:mellow::unsure::o:no:

The thought of this makes me cringe...

... poor little girl...

And...having dissected the intestines you should know that they are actually one long tube, winding back and forth like a river...each 'winding' being connected with membranous tissue. The force of the suction from these huge pumps did indeed suck her intestines out. The centrifugal force was greater than the strength of the membranous tissue that holds the intestines in place.

Joc- Every single one of your posts is RIGHT ON TARGET. I agree whole-heartedly.

Horrible disaster and happens more than you realize :( poor baby...

Jody

That happened because the safety shield on the intake of the pump was either missing or malfunctioning. Centrifugal forces in these high powered pumps in commercial swimming applications can be huge. The larger the pool...the higher pump ratios and the higher centrifugal forces in the suction of the pump. Public swimming pools therefore should be used with caution.

Joc, great information. I was shocked when I read this several days ago in my local paper.

I used to own a home with a pool and I could have sworn the suction wasn't that great. Do you know if this is a concern with residential pools? I honestly didn't think the drain at the bottom of my pool did much of anything, I thought the scuppers did most of the suction into the pump (which would be hard or impossible for even the smallest child to sit on). I do know that the scupper created a ton of suction... I hooked the auto cleaner up to it.

The thing I always worried about with mine was that it was a diving pool, it had the neck breaker bottom (illegal to build now) that slanted from 11' to 4' in nothing flat. I put flower pots all over the diving board to keep people from diving in. Scary.

Edited by MissMelsWell

This is terrible. My deepest sympathies for the girl and her family. I knew there was a reason I don't like pools.

And this is why it is better to swim in rivers and lakes. No clorine which some people are alergic to, no pumps to harm children (or anyone else for that matter, I'm the size of a 12-year-old). And even the pond I have doesn't have this dangerous kind of filtration system. The pump is underneath something called a matrix which has holes not even large enough for an arm to get through. No pumps actually in the main body of the pool; it's too dangerous for the fish (or anyone else for that matter).

And because this has happened numerous times, you would think that someone would do something.

Joc, great information. I was shocked when I read this several days ago in my local paper.

I used to own a home with a pool and I could have sworn the suction wasn't that great. Do you know if this is a concern with residential pools? I honestly didn't think the drain at the bottom of my pool did much of anything, I thought the scuppers did most of the suction into the pump (which would be hard or impossible for even the smallest child to sit on). I do know that the scupper created a ton of suction... I hooked the auto cleaner up to it.

The thing I always worried about with mine was that it was a diving pool, it had the neck breaker bottom (illegal to build now) that slanted from 11' to 4' in nothing flat. I put flower pots all over the diving board to keep people from diving in. Scary.

Typically it isn't a problem with residential pools. The reason is because the pumps aren't that big...therefore the suction isn't that great. In commercial pools....there are usually fountains and lots of jet holes just because of the size of the pools...add to it a spa...or a waterfall.

Everyone loves the jet holes on the side of the pools...few realize or think about that there is an opposite effect...for all the jet force there is a greater suction force.

Ahahaaaaaaaaaaaa joc works with pools maybe??? lmao only kidding, however you know your stuff!!! ;)

I have grown up around pools and pretty much any kind of water, especially the sea.

This actually should not effect your swimming in a pool. Knowledge is power, therefore, this has been educational. Keep the kids aways from the drain. Period... (and yourselves)... I wouldn't outright abandon pools altogether.

Just a thought. :) Jody

swiming pools ,the goverment and manufactures need to do something to make sure thing like this dont happen

Dude, we're talking about a kid who has no chance of a normal life now. What is so funny?

And moping makes it better? Your sympathy is useless in a practical sense, just their as laughter is. The way in which an uninvolved party reacts is of no consequence, so why should it matter?

All I can say is br00tal. *puts on Disembowelment CD*

Edited by Affliction

Wow... I didn't know there was a docuented case of this, let alone at least three...

It's called prolapsed intestine and... wow, I can't even comprehend what it must be like...

The things that can happen to the human body...

It's all fun and games until someone loses their intestines.

Thats so sad, poor baby :(

• 2 weeks later...

I"ve never heard of this happening in Britain. Do we have a different pumping system ? :wacko:

Joc's information is spot on, and I had no difficulty believing this story due to a condition known as rectal prolapse. Those who are morbidly obese are at risk, and pressure is the cause, not suction. Uterine prolapse is also possible for women in that state.

I"ve never heard of this happening in Britain. Do we have a different pumping system ? :wacko:

After taking a look at my bf's parent's pool this last weekend, I realized that this is really only a problem in commercial pools like joc mentioned.

Residential or smaller pools (my bf's parents's pool is about 40K gallons, so it's quite large for a residential pool, most residential pools are 15-18K more or less) don't have suction drains in the actual pool. The suction is located in the scupper. The scupper on a residential pool is a water level slat in the side of the pool that fills up a small holding area under the pool deck. Most have a lid over the holding area that the owner can remove the lid and attach a vacuum to the suction valve so they can clean the pool. It would be impossible for a kid or even a baby to sit inside the holding area, and the suction produced through the waterline slat is almost undetectable. The jet that forces water back into the pool can be small holes in the side, or like in my pool, it was at bottom and it only looked like a drain.

Now, the big huge olympic sized pools (100K gallons more or less?) that get heavy use and need lots of circulation and filtration have a much stronger pumping system. Those pumping systems take large quantities of water in through drains at the bottom of the pool, generally in the deep end. On a well maintained pool these aren't a problem because they're suppose to have protective cap over them that allows the water to only be sucked down in a way that prevents anyone from coming to harm--it sort of diffuses the sucking action. In the case of this poor little girl ,the grate (or cap) was missing, therefore the suction was far too strong and focused to be safe. Someone I'm sure will be sued over this one.

UUGGHH HORRIBLE! im sorry but the mods might close this, could give kids nightmares for weeks.

poor girl, howd she get out?

I've never seen how she got out of the pool. But the reality is that people should know about this problem, no matter how rare it is. It's a good reminder about pool and water safety. Check out that pool before you drop your 6 year old in. Make sure none of the pump caps are missing. You should be able to tell if they are.