Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Weird New Jersey"

XXDarkxLovexSpiritXX

Now i've always been one to have a certain intrest in myths and urban legends and living in New Jersey i've read all about new jerseys urban ledgens in "Weird New Jersey" and such on and i was wondering has anyone ever encountered anything in "Weird New Jersey" ? And whats your opppnion on them if you have or have not encounter anything? Do you believe it? And have you heard stories cause i am intrested to hear about some first hand experiences. I'd also be interested to heard about and weird urban ledgens and encounters with them for other states too.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goalienan

• XXDarkxLovexSpiritXX

• Piney

• DelVal Paranormal

I also live in New Jersey, and have read a lot of the Wierd New Jersey magazines. I personally haven't encountered much really, but I do believe a lot of the myths and urban legends. I live near Shades of Death road so I've been there, but never encountered anything. My mom also met the two guys who do the magazine, Mark & Mark. She gave them a bucket of halloween candy lol..

I also live in New Jersey, and have read a lot of the Wierd New Jersey magazines. I personally haven't encountered much really, but I do believe a lot of the myths and urban legends. I live near Shades of Death road so I've been there, but never encountered anything. My mom also met the two guys who do the magazine, Mark & Mark. She gave them a bucket of halloween candy lol..

I use to live in NJ, and worked in bookstores there too. In fact, I remember both Marks bringing in their stock themselves. This really is not a first hand account, but I did talked to two customers at one of the bookstores that I worked, whos house they said was in one of the issues of the magazine. The house happened to be near one of the military bases I lived on, where I use to travel by car. I always would see the house, when I travel by. The owners would tell me all the stuff that would happen to them. They told me the url of the site that talkes about the ghost investigations, and I have been on it and I am very impressed. Though, I have had even first hand and creepy accounts myself, while living in New Jersey, they were not part of any of the magazine issues.

I too live in Jersey, and I've been reading Weird N.J. for years...I remember going to the Jungle Habitat, Gingerbread Castle, Land of Make Believe and a few other places that were featured...Oh yes, and good old "Action Park"...Alot of memories when you read through it, but nothing exceptional happened to me...I'm not sure if thats good or bad.. :rolleyes:

In the chapter 'Indian Curse Road' Carl (Wayandaga) Pierce is my grandfather and is quite the family and tribal embarassment. But their chapter on the 'Jackson Blacks' and Vincentown albinos is disparaging. Many of those people are related to me ( The Burtons, Manns and Valentines).

Lapiche

^why is your grandfather the embarasment? If I jumped into family business, I'm sorry.

Anyway, I have seen the Weird US TV show and enjoyed it very much, but I have never read the magazine. Figures, I have lived most of my life in Virginia and North Carolina. And about legends from other states.. I have volumns of books dealing with the legends of Virginia and North Carolina. Give me a topic, and I can give you a story.

^why is your grandfather the embarasment? If I jumped into family business, I'm sorry.

Anyway, I have seen the Weird US TV show and enjoyed it very much, but I have never read the magazine. Figures, I have lived most of my life in Virginia and North Carolina. And about legends from other states.. I have volumns of books dealing with the legends of Virginia and North Carolina. Give me a topic, and I can give you a story.

Hi rosenrot...why don't you give us a story on abandoned buildings (mental institutions are one of my favs.), or local heros and legends..Even weird houses...In Jersey we have the "bowling ball house", the "rocking horse house" and two "Pink Ladies", where needless to say everything, and I mean everything is pink...Or give us one of your own...I'm sure it will be good reading... :tu:

In the chapter 'Indian Curse Road' Carl (Wayandaga) Pierce is my grandfather and is quite the family and tribal embarassment. But their chapter on the 'Jackson Blacks' and Vincentown albinos is disparaging. Many of those people are related to me ( The Burtons, Manns and Valentines).

Lapiche

Hi Piney...I agree about the articles on the "Jackson Blacks" and the albinos...But remember, it was in Weird N.J... I think most of us have some dysfunctional people in our blood line...I know my family does...From your PM and this thread, it sounds like you have one huge family..... :yes: Whenever you feel up to it, maybe you could let us know more about your grandfather..He sounds interesting, but only if you want to...

I had the book, perused the web site, but never went to any places of interest yet. I have to get out more.

I'm in a decidedly unweird part of NJ. ;)

I had the book, perused the web site, but never went to any places of interest yet. I have to get out more.

I'm in a decidedly unweird part of NJ. ;)

Awww..don't feel bad Purplos...I live at the Jersey shore and the only weird happenings here are the wacko's who come down and invade us for the summer... :wacko:

Awww..don't feel bad Purplos...I live at the Jersey shore and the only weird happenings here are the wacko's who come down and invade us for the summer... :wacko:

haha thats a good one :lol:

yea i never encountered anything weird here really either i want to and defintly eventually will try to since my cousin drives i could probely see if she wants to vist some places with me , but then again whos knows if its a good idea to acually go "looking" for trouble lol

i refer to New Jersey as

"The Land of Parking Lots"

May I ask why :D:blink::rofl::w00t::tu:

And does anyone know that place, i think its in New Jersey and my cousin was telling me about it but it was like "the real silent hill" and this guys was throwing matchs on the ground and they would light because there is really lava or something underneith it, its an abbandon town and i think my cousin said that, that was what silent hill was based on...anyone know what im talking about?

My grandfather was actually funny. We caught wind about Kurt Kalb a New Jersey archeologist finding a Unalachtigo tribal ossuary. The Unalachtigo (Nanticoke Lenape) had a Southern Algonquian culture and families kept their loved ones bones in a Chicason ( smoke house) for 5 years then buried them in a mass grave ( ossuary) during the "Feast of the Dead". Kurt would not give my grandfather or tribe the bones and covered up his discovery dumping them off of Rt.38 somewhere. I remember being there and seeing all those skeletons. It was sad. My grandfather was a mete'u (witchdoctor) and cursed the whole place. He was later exiled from the tribe for practicing sex magic in the community sweat lodge, but hell, he loved me so I didn't care.

Goalienan, the two New Jersey tribes ( Ramapough ( Jackson Blacks) and Nanticoke Lenni-Lenape ( some are the Vincentown Albinos) tried to keep their blood quantum pure only marrying each other. Needless to say the families got a little close and mutations such as albinos and idiotcy appeared. I am both Ramapough and Nanticoke Lenni Lenape and can call most people in either tribe "cuz".

Hi rosenrot...why don't you give us a story on abandoned buildings (mental institutions are one of my favs.), or local heros and legends..Even weird houses...In Jersey we have the "bowling ball house", the "rocking horse house" and two "Pink Ladies", where needless to say everything, and I mean everything is pink...Or give us one of your own...I'm sure it will be good reading... :tu:

Hmm, an abanoned building, local hero, local legends, or weird houses. You give me too many topics to decide, so I'll tell a long-standing legend from Southern Virginia.

This is the tale of the Wreck of the Old 97. It takes place in Danville, VA where my mother lives. It is a very popular local legend. 1903: Train number 97 was behind time; it was 1p and she was due in at the Danville Station at 1.40p with 64 miles still to cover. The conductor was pushing the train to her limits. As he neared the most dangerous part of the trip, a three-mile, curving, down grade that lead to the trestle crossing the Dan River which was at the time, on the outskirts of Danville. At the bottom of the descent was the most curve of all which veered sharply to the east. Below the trestle at this piont was a 75-foot drop into the deep chasm ovver Still House Creek. On each side of the rails were warning signs that read "Sharp Curve. Speed Limit 15 Miles Per Hour." Only when the conductor saw the signs did he attempt to stop the 97; but all this efforts failed because of the way he had been pushing the engine. As described by an eyewitness, "The engine struck the first rails of the curve, wavered and swayed for a moment ... then continued straight ahead. With a sickening lurch, the stampeding locomotive left the track and bounded onto the trestle, bounding and skipping along the crossties while wood and splinters flew in every direction. The mail car left the rails, then the second, the third, and the fourth. The runaway express rolled to the right, leaped above the yawning chasm and fell to the bottom. The left side of the engine struck the creekbed and half-buried herself in the mud. For a long moment, there was an eerie silence as the wheels continued to spin. It was broken by the cries of rescuers and the calls of the hundreds of canaries that had been carried in one of the mail cars. The conductor and his engineers were found dead almost scalded beyond recongition. The engine was raised and run on it's normal route from Richmond to Danville until 1935 when it was scrapped. The tracks were rerouted and part of the ravine was filled in to make way for the modern highway. It has been told that if one stands on an autumn afternoon a little after 2p at the foot of that three-mile down grade and listens closely Old 97 echoes throught the Valley of the Dan.

But as far as weird houses go, most of the unusual houses are the mansions that sat on plantations in the colonial ages. And abandoned asylums, I have never heard of any in the area.

That was a good read...It's always interesting to read about urban legends from another state...Thanks :tu:

My grandfather was actually funny. We caught wind about Kurt Kalb a New Jersey archeologist finding a Unalachtigo tribal ossuary. The Unalachtigo (Nanticoke Lenape) had a Southern Algonquian culture and families kept their loved ones bones in a Chicason ( smoke house) for 5 years then buried them in a mass grave ( ossuary) during the "Feast of the Dead". Kurt would not give my grandfather or tribe the bones and covered up his discovery dumping them off of Rt.38 somewhere. I remember being there and seeing all those skeletons. It was sad. My grandfather was a mete'u (witchdoctor) and cursed the whole place. He was later exiled from the tribe for practicing sex magic in the community sweat lodge, but hell, he loved me so I didn't care.

Goalienan, the two New Jersey tribes ( Ramapough ( Jackson Blacks) and Nanticoke Lenni-Lenape ( some are the Vincentown Albinos) tried to keep their blood quantum pure only marrying each other. Needless to say the families got a little close and mutations such as albinos and idiotcy appeared. I am both Ramapough and Nanticoke Lenni Lenape and can call most people in either tribe "cuz".

Aw, now I see where your coming from and your grandfather sounded like a remarkable man...Indian history always amazed me, and your heritage sounds wonderful... :yes:

Well I was chased by a naked lady down the street near new jersey, does that count?

wow that sounds creepy if she isnt she SHOULD be in "weird new jersey" :lol:

Edited by XXDarkxLovexSpiritXX

And does anyone know that place, i think its in New Jersey and my cousin was telling me about it but it was like "the real silent hill" and this guys was throwing matchs on the ground and they would light because there is really lava or something underneith it, its an abbandon town and i think my cousin said that, that was what silent hill was based on...anyone know what im talking about?

DarkLoveSpirit,

I think the place you are referring to is Centralia. Centralia is a now almost abandoned town in Pennsylvania due to underground mine fires that have been burning since the 60s or so. From what I understand, the movie Silent Hill was loosely based on the story of Centralia. Hope this helped.

DarkLoveSpirit,

I think the place you are referring to is Centralia. Centralia is a now almost abandoned town in Pennsylvania due to underground mine fires that have been burning since the 60s or so. From what I understand, the movie Silent Hill was loosely based on the story of Centralia. Hope this helped.

yea thats probably it im sure there itsnt too many abandon towns with undground fires lol thanx =D

yea thats probably it im sure there itsnt too many abandon towns with undground fires lol thanx =D

lol no problem... Centralia is in the Weird Pennsylvania book.