Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mans inhumanity to man...

Lord Umbarger

WICHITA, Kan. (July 4) - As stabbing victim LaShanda Calloway lay dying on the floor of a convenience store, five shoppers, including one who stopped to take a picture of her with a cell phone, stepped over the woman, police said.

The June 23 situation, captured on the store's surveillance video, got scant news coverage until a columnist for The Wichita Eagle disclosed the existence of the video and its contents Tuesday.

Police have refused to release the video, saying it is part of their investigation.

"It was tragic to watch," police spokesman Gordon Bassham said Tuesday. "The fact that people were more interested in taking a picture with a cell phone and shopping for snacks rather than helping this innocent young woman is, frankly, revolting."

The woman was stabbed during an altercation that was not part of a robbery, Bassham said. It took about two minutes for someone to call 911, he said.

Calloway, 27, died later at a hospital.

Step this way ot the story, please.....

Can anyone say "Decline and fall of western civilization"? I knew you could. The one with a phone could have at least called an ambulance while she was taking a picture! I mean, she had it in her hand and was already playing with it. I'll bet that those a re the first ones to complain about the firetruck taking too long to get to their burning house, too. It's a damn shame we can't tag these kind of people and then alert the paramedics when they get hurt or need help. Wouldn't it be nice if those authorities could identify them and refuse assistance when they need it?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Umbarger

• Primeval

• Fluffybunny

• hetrodoxly

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard about this. It's so sickening that these people did that. I hope they feel guilty for not helping the woman out.

Did you hear about the suicide jumper that was gonna jump of a bridge? Her car was blocking traffic so everyone was yelling at her telling her to jump.

I hope they feel guilty for not helping the woman out.
I hope that Karma is as unforgiving as they were.

"If there is truly evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind!”

What was the convenience store clerk doing? Watching people as they watched her die?

Another article says that, "LaShanda Calloway was stabbed during a fight at the store, but it was not part of a robbery", so the clerk watched a woman get stabbed in the store and didnt call the police or an ambulance? Or was the clerk not in the store this whole time?

The district attorney's office will have to decide whether any of the shoppers could be charged, Bassham said.

Sure look into charging the shoppers but again what about the clerk?!?

Sign of the times we live in, with my hand on heart i can honestly say i'd never walk past anyone in distress or need of help, but if i'd known beforehand her parents had called her Lashanda i might have stabbed her myself :)

Lashanda
In Hebrew, that means "the Shame".

What was the convenience store clerk doing?
Good question. Theother little shame of this story is that if the clerk would've run the costomers out of the store to render aid him/herself, the store owner might have fired him/her for abandoning his/her post. "You're not here to play doctor, you're here to sell twinkies and ho-hos! You're fired!".

I see a lot of folks that will pass by with a camera phone clicking away while cpr is in progress...it happens... it is sad.

I also see folks that rush into burning buildings to save strangers tooo, so it goes both ways in my experience...

hey....when there's a sale on.....

There was a guy that collapsed in the local grocery store in the checkout line; cardiac arrest. The fire chief was in line behind him. When the guy went down the chief started to do cpr and about a dozen people stood there asking how they could help...we ended up having folks change out doing chest compressions so no one got too tired...it was great to see people pitch in. there are a lot of good people out there

It's really sad to hear that these people wouldn't try to help. But I guess that's what karma is for. Not everyone is a bad person.

In Hebrew, that means "the Shame".

Good question. Theother little shame of this story is that if the clerk would've run the costomers out of the store to render aid him/herself, the store owner might have fired him/her for abandoning his/her post. "You're not here to play doctor, you're here to sell twinkies and ho-hos! You're fired!".

Yes that's what i thought, shame.

Like the story of the guy who ran into a burning building to save someone trapped in, he saved them but the guy who saved him got smoke damage to his lungs, so he sue'd the guy he saved cause he got smoke damage in the lungs by saving him.... stupid huh?

The district attorney's office will have to decide whether any of the shoppers could be charged, Bassham said.

It was uncertain what law, if any, would be applicable. A state statute for failure to render aid refers only to victims of a car accident.

That's utter crap. No one should be forced to help another person.

Why should these people be forced to help a stab victim? With all the crap people are taking these days, I'd think twice about helping a stabbing victim because of hiv and other lovely items.

I know that, here in Georgia anyways, if you are certified and current in First Aid, you are supposed to render aid and can be fined if you don't . On the other hand, the person can not sue you because of something called the "Good Samaritan Law". That means that if you pull someone out of a burning car and damage their back, they can't sue you. As far as I know, there is no law that says that you HAVE to render aid if you are NOT ceritfied in first aid, in Georiga at least. Still, as dangerous as some things are with all those nasty bugs that people now carry, you'd think that somebody could've at least called an ambulance.

Disgusting !

The people that did this have become desensitized to violence, compassion, empathy and basic human decency. They aren't even worthy of being called animals or anything, at all. They are simply tissue, that walks over the dying, and awaits their own demise, for which they will not be missed. Because they were worthless while alive, and as such, shall be so when they die.

The people that did this have become desensitized to violence, compassion, empathy and basic human decency. They aren't even worthy of being called animals or anything, at all. They are simply tissue, that walks over the dying, and awaits their own demise, for which they will not be missed. Because they were worthless while alive, and as such, shall be so when they die.
I've never heard it phrased as eloquently. I do, however, disagree with that part about them being worthless when they are dead...the worms gotta make a living, too.

Why should these people be forced to help a stab victim? With all the crap people are taking these days, I'd think twice about helping a stabbing victim because of hiv and other lovely items.

really is that so? well i gotta say Kratos i just lost my respect for you. i wonder if any of these "people" (if you can call them that) had the same idea while they walked over that dying person.

I've never heard it phrased as eloquently. I do, however, disagree with that part about them being worthless when they are dead...the worms gotta make a living, too.
Oh I'm all for feeding the worms. However and unfortunately for the worms, our traditions dictate they are cremated or embalmed and sealed inside a box. So the worms can't feast so as to at least make their demise worth something, to something. :unsure2: Edited by GoddessWhispers

really is that so? well i gotta say Kratos i just lost my respect for you. i wonder if any of these "people" (if you can call them that) had the same idea while they walked over that dying person.

Good job Kratos, 1 down 50242 to go.

That's utter crap. No one should be forced to help another person.

Seriously? You're saying that a simple 911 call from a person who already had their phone in hand was out of the question? They didn't have to get down and actually touch them in order to help. Not having to be forced to help is one thing (although I think pretty horrible and self-centered), but going out of their way to find any kind of entertainment in it is nuts. There's no rationalizing it.

Good job Kratos, 1 down 50242 to go.
Uhh? O.K., so I'm not the smartest fish in the pond but, what is meant by that number? Are you reffering to the number of UM members? That number would be closer to 60 something tousand. I'm at a complete loss. Primeval, you have totally and utterly stumped me. Ms. Helan Waite will be mailing you your award. If you wish to pick it up yourself, you may go to Helan Waite for it.