Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
UM-Bot

Inside the mystery of genius

3 posts in this topic

UM-Bot

user posted image rA genius is easier to recognise than to define. A new television series attempts to find out if they are born or made. Grace Hammond reports Exploring the inner workings of the human brain, a compelling three-part documentary series on Five, looks at a group of remarkable people and poses questions about the origins of genius.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Yorkshire Post

icedwhitemocha

It would be interesting if anyone ever did pinpoint what makes a brilliant scientist , a "brilliant scientist", or a what makes a Prize winning author excell. I know that from what little looking in to the subject that I have done, it seems like people of excellence come from all walks of life, no matter their background or upbringing... In my opinon, I would bet that it would be something doing with our "blue prints", even down to the level of the DNA. A good question would be... could there have been a way to turn a genius away from being a genius?

Blizno
It would be interesting if anyone ever did pinpoint what makes a brilliant scientist , a "brilliant scientist", or a what makes a Prize winning author excell. I know that from what little looking in to the subject that I have done, it seems like people of excellence come from all walks of life, no matter their background or upbringing... In my opinon, I would bet that it would be something doing with our "blue prints", even down to the level of the DNA. A good question would be... could there have been a way to turn a genius away from being a genius?

It should be easy to crush a genius. Child abuse will do the trick. A steady diet of unwarranted negative criticism can drive anybody into a shell. Witnessing or enduring atrocities can destroy anyone. The genius may still be brilliant but the brilliance will be trapped inside a tormented soul and will never be seen except in ineffectual flashes.

I agree about DNA. I think that somebody with the genes for average intelligence can do great things with gentle, encouraging upbringing while somebody else with genes for far above average intelligence can end up addicted to drugs or alcohol and live in misery if denied a nurturing upbringing. Having the genes for great intelligence makes it easier to excel but more is needed.