Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Huge Moth/Butterfly Omen of Death

Salem Mora

Thank you all for your support.

All I know is..after much thought and reflection on my reaction and behavior towards this thing, here are my current thoughts.

I've repeatedly stated that I am not a firm believer in witches and bad omens, or atleast I wasn't until this began to happen to me. I see these things who are then followed by a feeling of dread and a thickness in the air. Alot of tension...Am I letting these signs get the best of me? Because of such tales that I've heard and whatnot...could this be real? Or is it just a figment of my very, big imagination?

My conclusion- I'm still undecided as to what to think of this matter. I'm still skeptical about it all but at the same time, I'm not going to completely turn a blind eye to this. I'm going to keep my mind open. If this is nothing but my imagination running wild, then I will happily admit to it when this ordeal runs it's course. If it's real- then I'm going to face it and not be afraid anymore. If it's real, then I'm going to do my damnest to beat it.

I will update on the situation, also; I'm going to film this creature and when I come face to face with it again tonight. I am expecting it to return tonight once again...We'll see what happens.

I will update on the situation, also; I'm going to film this creature and when I come face to face with it again tonight. I am expecting it to return tonight once again...We'll see what happens.

Would not be a bad idea, that will get it out of your system. Get a good pic so we can tell you what it is.

Holy crap, you didn't post "black" big butterflies. There was a moth the size of my palm on my screen door a couple days ago.

Now... keep cool :tu:

Thank you all for your support.

All I know is..after much thought and reflection on my reaction and behavior towards this thing, here are my current thoughts.

I've repeatedly stated that I am not a firm believer in witches and bad omens, or atleast I wasn't until this began to happen to me. I see these things who are then followed by a feeling of dread and a thickness in the air. Alot of tension...Am I letting these signs get the best of me? Because of such tales that I've heard and whatnot...could this be real? Or is it just a figment of my very, big imagination?

My conclusion- I'm still undecided as to what to think of this matter. I'm still skeptical about it all but at the same time, I'm not going to completely turn a blind eye to this. I'm going to keep my mind open. If this is nothing but my imagination running wild, then I will happily admit to it when this ordeal runs it's course. If it's real- then I'm going to face it and not be afraid anymore. If it's real, then I'm going to do my damnest to beat it.

Wow. Please do. I think you'd be the first ever new signup in the history of UM to provide any sort of evidence of your claims.

Lets see, omens of death:

Dog howling

Owl howling over the house

Full moon being encircled by a cloud

Doing laundry between Christmas and New Year

Buzzard circling

Moths

Thanks, got another entry for my "The biggest Bulls**t of the world"collection. Thanks

There are a couple more:

Dreaming of black train

Bird flying into your house

Crow lands on you

Dreaming of black horse

all I can think of atm.

It's a baby mothman.And as we all know,as in the mothman prophicies,when you encounter these creatures,there will be strange coincidence type stuff that happens.I've only heard these stories,not seen anything myself.(wouldnt want to!)But to be sure,They are of a higher intelligence and they want...i dont know.Maybe they serve as a warning,or maybe they are like a curse.Who knows.

• 10 months later...
Anyone ever heard of this? I'm in desperate need for some answers. Only serious answers please. If you have nothing to contribute don't post at all because I'm as serious as I could be.

A few years ago, an old lady told me something about Black Butterflies, that are big, are a symbol of death. It means someone is going to die if it attaches itself to a house. She told me there is hope however, one must kill the Black Butterfly, inorder to avoid death. I'm really scared about this. I saw this huge black Butterfly on some lady's house just a few days later she died.

Also, one time at my aunts house one of them Butterflies(The Huge Blackone) landed on right next to the door. My grandma killed it before it got away. Not long after that, someone shot my aunt twice and she survived. I have not much to go on this subject but it frightens me alot. My mother has been feeling ill and she very young only 36. We are having alot of family problems and my mother was outside by the pool earlier today...she was doing some chores and one of them Huge Black Buttefly flew out and near her. When she went inside it retreated somewhere by the house. She was talking to one of my elder aunts and told her about it, the elder aunt warned her about the significance of the Black Butterfly (Which was very big..like a small bird) and told her to kill it if she sees it again. I just got home from work(On my break) and my mom told me to look for it in my room- the Balcony outside of my room. I did, and sure enough, it was right there. It frightened me! I tried killing it but it flew off into the sky and then right back to my balcony. my mom ran upstairs and tried killing it but escaped and onto the roof. We have a two story house and I climbed from the balcony to the roof and searched for it and almost killed it but it flew off again. It flew off into the sky and I just hope it doesnt come back again..I know it sounds ridiculous but I beg for some helpful advice of anyone who might know anything?

Witches, people who know about this sorta thing? please help

If it flies away, is the Omen voided?

Months ago, while i was using my laptop at nite. A small Butterfly came through the window and landed on my hand. It's the black one. I was sorta surprised because Butterflies doesn't usually land on human hands, especially while working. Let's get back to the story. Being amazed, i didnt do any thing to make it go away and just watched. After minutes, i started to get suspicious and tried to touch it. It was dead. I didnt know when...it just landed and died on my hand. What do you think about it ? does it mean that i am going to die ? it's been months and i'm in good shape. I just asked coz it's sorta strange for me. If anybody got some answers, let me know. thnx !

• 9 months later...

Yeah, I know what you mean here..When my uncle passed away I entered his room and saw one of those things on the wall. Also when my grandmother passed away I remember my mom saying she saw one of those butterflies. Where I live it's the same thing..Only the people who see it are the ones who are not affected but it does mean death. Still this is what I've been told but with what I've seen and heard I kinda believe it.

Yeah, I know what you mean here..When my uncle passed away I entered his room and saw one of those things on the wall. Also when my grandmother passed away I remember my mom saying she saw one of those butterflies. Where I live it's the same thing..Only the people who see it are the ones who are not affected but it does mean death. Still this is what I've been told but with what I've seen and heard I kinda believe it.

Don't worry mate. If one lands on you just fart so hard and it will go away.

I think the OP need's med's, or belong's in the nut house. This isn't an attack at you, Mora, I'm damn serious. Stop worrying about this BS and go back to your loving peaceful life. The color black does NOT equal death! *slap's Mora*

I've heard many stories of omens before and haven't decided if there's anything to them. I've heard various stories of how owls can represent an impending death. Example of one that turned out not to be true. Last year my Mom had an owl (a big one) that was landing in front of her front porch daily. She thought it was sort of neat, and I was horrified! This went on for a while. Her husband has health problems and I was sure something was going to happen to him. A few weeks after this started, he was sitting outside on the porch when the owl landed as he had been. Then he took off to fly away and flew right into a pickup truck doing down the road. Killed him of course. So I'm convinced this owl just happened to take up residence in the big oak trees that surround their home and then had a very miscalculated take off plan. So I don't believe the owl thing anymore.

Butterflies on the other hand, I'm convinced of some things. Not impending death though! I had heard butterflies can represent the spirits of the newly departed and I do believe that's true! Our black dog died and when we were burying him, a beautiful black butterfly flew around us the entire time, landing on evergreens that surrounded the grave site. Saw that butterfly for several days afterward around the grave site.

A little while later our collie died of old age. That was a wierd one! For 2 weeks afterward that dog barked outside our front door every night. It was his "happy" bark. I wouldn't even have admitted such a thing, but my husband heard it too! Loud and clear. For 3 weeks after he died, we had a yellow butterfly show up in the strangest places. One flew into my office and landed on my counter. I had a customer in there who saw it and said that was the strangest thing she'd ever seen! My husband is a trucker and the next day he told me that a big yellow butterfly appeard beside his driver's side window and flew beside him as he was going slowly down the road for about a 1/2 mile. We are both convinced that our little ones were still close to us and just wanted to let us know they were "alive" and doing OK. Sounds strange I know, but I swear to you it happened!!

So I wouldn't be so scared of butterflies representing death, but rather life!

Edited by setterma

A couple of summers ago I heard thumping outside my front door one evening and upon investigation saw the largest moth I had ever seen. I got a hold of it and took it next door to show my sister. Afterward, I put it on one of the trees; no way I wanted to kill it as it was so magnificent. Well, no one has died including me, but if I had read this at the time it would have been scary. :o

Edited by Ghostdancer

• 2 months later...
Anyone ever heard of this? I'm in desperate need for some answers. Only serious answers please. If you have nothing to contribute don't post at all because I'm as serious as I could be.

A few years ago, an old lady told me something about Black Butterflies, that are big, are a symbol of death. It means someone is going to die if it attaches itself to a house. She told me there is hope however, one must kill the Black Butterfly, inorder to avoid death. I'm really scared about this. I saw this huge black Butterfly on some lady's house just a few days later she died.

Also, one time at my aunts house one of them Butterflies(The Huge Blackone) landed on right next to the door. My grandma killed it before it got away. Not long after that, someone shot my aunt twice and she survived. I have not much to go on this subject but it frightens me alot. My mother has been feeling ill and she very young only 36. We are having alot of family problems and my mother was outside by the pool earlier today...she was doing some chores and one of them Huge Black Buttefly flew out and near her. When she went inside it retreated somewhere by the house. She was talking to one of my elder aunts and told her about it, the elder aunt warned her about the significance of the Black Butterfly (Which was very big..like a small bird) and told her to kill it if she sees it again. I just got home from work(On my break) and my mom told me to look for it in my room- the Balcony outside of my room. I did, and sure enough, it was right there. It frightened me! I tried killing it but it flew off into the sky and then right back to my balcony. my mom ran upstairs and tried killing it but escaped and onto the roof. We have a two story house and I climbed from the balcony to the roof and searched for it and almost killed it but it flew off again. It flew off into the sky and I just hope it doesnt come back again..I know it sounds ridiculous but I beg for some helpful advice of anyone who might know anything?

Witches, people who know about this sorta thing? please help

If it flies away, is the Omen voided?

i'm a little worried because i saw a huge black butterfly flying around my house for two days now and i dont know what to think because ever since i have seen it bad things have been happening to several people i love. But none of them believe in anything supernatural or whatever you call it and i dont know what to do! If the black butterfly really is an omen of death i need to know what i can do about it! Please if anyone has any real answers i need your help.

Huh!?! I've never heard of this one either. Maybe it's just a conspiracy to rid the world of black butter flies! LOL! I have seen a few around here in south west Georgia but, not any in a few years now.

Boy some superstitions really take hold don't they? My great aunt lived in Texas, and we would often see black butterflies around her house when visiting her. She is still alive (although in poor health and in a nursing home) and we saw those butterflies almost 30 years ago, so it's safe to say they were not omens of death for her or any one of us.

The ridiculous superstitions about owls are complete bunk as well. I've had an owl living just off my property for years, heard him both day and night, and no one connected with me has died since he has taken up residence there. I couldn't be happier about him living there since he's eating all the local rodents.

By the way, I've heard some other pretty silly superstitions from my Hispanic friends. I was at a big party given by one of them, and her mother told a pregnant party guest that she shouldn't drink cola while pregnant because "it turns the fluid around the baby brown, and he won't be able to see out." I was unaware the uterus had a window! :lol:

• 2 months later...

I wonder what became of the OP. He or she hasn't been active in over two years. :unsure2:

I saw an unusually large moth (for this area, just outside Chicago) resting on my screen door a few weeks ago. Rather than be terrified, I thought it was quite majestic. Additionally, my mom was convinced it was a reincarnated relative come to bring good luck.

dsc08098.jpg

Not apparent from the photo, but the moth was about 3-4 inches from head to wing-tips.

With such variance in interpretation, how can any one thing stand definitively for a single meaning? It's obvious that superstitions are the work of individual or group imaginations.

Edited by jimmyl008

i saw an incredibly huge moth standing on the outside part of my window like 2 days ago, hope no one dies(especially me) but i'll let you know if anyone does lol

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this post is in the wrong place but when i was 8 years old my mom told me that if you hear a whipawill not sure if any of you know what they are but if you hear one close by then someones going to die that your close too but i heard one right outside my window 3 days before my grandpa died but havent seen or heard one since that night i am 24 now btw

• 2 years later...

I have a family that is very superstitious and believe that creatures can sense better then we can. The moth as far as I can go back have meant to be a messenger they are not a death omen. They have been seen as souls lost when they are white but moths hear all and come to tell the secrets they know. All of the stories I have ever heard of moths are sweet but they also are messengers which means don't try to kill very bad luck to kill Moths, Spiders and Earthworms( earthworms are good for the soil :) seriously though do not let these things have such power over you. Fear is a strong force it makes us do things that are dangerous( climb on a second story roof) some people give things to much power.

Remember this! Things have only as much power as you give them so everything you send out will come back. Everything we do that has energy returns home so send out good and that is what comes back, ETC...

I am a Christian but I had a different raising and I have a very different parents! Plus my mother who is Pagan has moths all over her house right now and she is not freaking out and neither is my sister and she leads a Coven.

The answer though if you have a bad feeling around your house is bless it then fill it with positive.

I hope this is a calming blessing!

(Genesis- to begin ; Mind- The principle of intelligence; the spirit of consciousness regarded as an aspect of reality.) Genesismind- To begin the principle of intelligence.

Edited by genesismind

Yes it seems it is a sign of death. The moth/butterflys death because some scared story tale beleiving person is trying to kill its ass.

• 1 month later...

I've never heard this.

What I learned,was moths,are the soul of a dead person.They appear to you if it's a dead loved one of yours.

They are not bad luck ,or omens of death.

The butterfly story,I cannot comment on,as I've never heard this before.

There are some beautiful black butterflies,that I used to catch as a child.

Im still here so....

I live too far in a suburban sprawl for any butterflies to visit :cry:

• 2 weeks later...

I think the more important question here is how you're 26, and your mother is 36.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

hey i kno..it sounds weird..n its kinda awkward to tell about the whole black butterfly things to friends too..they"d think u r weird.i have gone through same stuff as you.But not as close as you though.i saw this black huge butterfly in night outside my balcony.at first i thought it was a bird "small one..then again i thought it was weird for birds to hover around that close..so i looked at it carefully..and then it was there very preety but again really mysterious butterfly, totallie black in color.i didnt give much attention then..but few weeks later i saw it again..it was hovering all over me..and even more intresting is i was driving and it was keeping up with me..i checked into google and saw all these myth stuff.so i talked about it with my fren,she said i was just wasting my time..but i was kindaa scared i have my family stuffs too..and i was worried.i talked about it with my grandmom.she didnt kno much about those myths..BUt Den rit away 2 weeks later grandmom passed away just like that..she wasnt ill or anything..5 minutes ago she was talking and 5 minutes later she was gone..

so i don kno if i still believe in these stuff.i still dont think black butterflies are ominous..i saw it twice and all i remember is staring at it admiringly.i"m sure i"ll be a lil scraed the next time i see it but i know i wont kill it..i think it as a messanger..atleast to me,i believe it was there to remind me to b strong..to do everything it takes ..to make the person i care b happy..the next time i see it i"will kno..the clock that started ticking when i first saw it mit stop the day i see it again..but till then i hav enough time"so next time i see it and the same thing happens,i wont complain i didnt know..it would happen..i"ll just be gratefull that i knew it before it could happen..Though it really does hurt to kno things beforehand..but atlest"for my part i kno that the butterfly knows how special that person for me is"..