Sunday, March 24, 2019
Contact us    |    Advertise    |   Help    |   Cookie Policy    |   Privacy Policy    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
    Home  ·  News  ·  Forum  ·  Stories  ·  Image Gallery  ·  Columns  ·  Encyclopedia  ·  Videos
Find: in
This news story is archived which means that, while it is still available to view, the information contained within may be outdated and the original source site/link may no longer be viewable.

For the most recent stories, please visit either the site's home page or main news section.

Man's phone spontaneously combusts

Posted on Wednesday, 17 January, 2007 | Comment icon 18 comments


Image credit: sxc.hu
 
"A cell phone in the front pocket of a Vallejo man's pants spontaneously combusted, quickly ignited his clothes and left the man with second- and third-degree burns across at least half his body, according to investigators."

  View: Full article

 Source: sfgate.com


  Discuss: View comments (18)

   


 
Recent comments on this story
Comment icon #9 Posted by dantheman2435 on 18 January, 2007, 3:30
I have my kids' phones set to do that whenever they go over their limit. Hahaha. Poor guy though.
Comment icon #10 Posted by vlanos on 18 January, 2007, 14:56
first i hear they can give you cancer now they can fry you up. nice
Comment icon #11 Posted by Pax Unum on 18 January, 2007, 16:11
Badly made or counterfeit cell phone batteries caused an unprecedented number of injuries in the United States in 2004. About a dozen people were seriously hurt by overheating cell phone batteries that exploded or launched shrapnel that burned at 800 degrees Fahrenheit. Handset makers and operators later in the year began to sharpen battery standards. LINK-The cellular explosion I found this non-news (at least I hope it's not real news) take on cell phone battery explosions quite hilarious... The United Nations 'World Birth Control Organization' (WBCO) is hailing Chinese cell phone battery man... [More]
Comment icon #12 Posted by Akidenko on 18 January, 2007, 16:33
It wasn't the phone. It still works. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...BAGCONKOBR1.DTL
Comment icon #13 Posted by vlanos on 18 January, 2007, 20:52
It wasn't the phone. It still works. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...BAGCONKOBR1.DTL that explans it thanks
Comment icon #14 Posted by glynne64 on 19 January, 2007, 0:39
I watched MythBusters when they tried to see if a cell phone could cause any sort of spark. In their case they were trying to see if it was a hazard to use around gas pumps. They never could get a spark, evidently there isn't enough static or "electricity" to create such a thing. Now, I'm not saying that refurbished or ones made under questionable practices might not cause a problem. Or if the battery has been modified...al a Tool Time...wouldn't have questionable results. Also in reading & watching the news report about it, I have my doubts. I, too, believe that if the cell phone did shor... [More]
Comment icon #15 Posted by Toxic Flood on 24 January, 2007, 1:49
I watched MythBusters when they tried to see if a cell phone could cause any sort of spark. In their case they were trying to see if it was a hazard to use around gas pumps. They never could get a spark, evidently there isn't enough static or "electricity" to create such a thing. Now, I'm not saying that refurbished or ones made under questionable practices might not cause a problem. Or if the battery has been modified...al a Tool Time...wouldn't have questionable results. Also in reading & watching the news report about it, I have my doubts. I, too, believe that if the cell phone did shor... [More]
Comment icon #16 Posted by Harriet Reed on 1 February, 2007, 13:10
Well this just proves my theory that mobile phones are pointless and even dangerous! Still, I feel sorry for the guy. If he'd stuck with a simple desk phone, this wouldn't have happened.
Comment icon #17 Posted by Saint on 1 February, 2007, 13:41
What was he doing passed out in a chair with his phone in his pocket? Drunk? Who goes to sleep with his cell phone on his person?
Comment icon #18 Posted by Bone_Collector on 2 February, 2007, 7:36
Investigators ruled out the phone as a cause. Another case of Spontaneous Human Combustion I guess then.


Please Login or Register to post a comment.


  On the forums
Forum posts:
Forum topics:
Members:

6421365
270655
179528

 
Professor claims UFOs may be from the future
3-23-2019
According to Montana Tech's Michael P. Masters, UFOs may be time machines occupied by our future selves.
World's largest Tyrannosaurus rex unveiled
3-23-2019
A fossil T. rex named 'Scotty' has been confirmed to be the largest predatory dinosaur ever discovered.
New report exposes 'cat cannibalism' research
3-22-2019
A disturbing new report highlights some of the unsavoury animal experiments carried out by government scientists.
45 rattlesnakes discovered under man's house
3-22-2019
A Texas man who recently crawled under his house to fix his cable found rather more than he had bargained for.
Other news in this category
Flat Earthers are planning a trip to Antarctica
Posted 3-20-2019 | 50 comments
Flat Earth enthusiasts maintain that they can prove that the Earth is flat by finding 'the edge of the world'....
 
Woman sues after being sucked into a grave
Posted 3-18-2019 | 18 comments
Joanne Cullen had been visiting her parents' grave in Long Island when the ground swallowed her up....
 
Devastating tornado leaves house untouched
Posted 3-16-2019 | 5 comments
Remarkable drone footage recorded in Georgia shows one unscathed house surrounded by total devastation....
 
Man's life saved as mobile phone blocks arrow
Posted 3-14-2019 | 11 comments
A 43-year-old man in Australia narrowly escaped death this week after his phone was hit by an incoming arrow....
 
Goat is elected mayor of town in Vermont
Posted 3-10-2019 | 20 comments
A 3-year-old Nubian goat by the name of Lincoln has been elected by the townspeople of Fair Haven....
 
Man tries to set fire to house due to 'ghost'
Posted 3-10-2019 | 7 comments
A man in California has been arrested for arson after attempting to set fire to his neighbor's house....
 
'Eternal Employment' will pay you to do nothing
Posted 3-8-2019 | 37 comments
An experimental art project in Sweden will pay you $2,300 per month to do absolutely nothing at all....
 
Flat Earthers accidentally prove Earth is round
Posted 3-7-2019 | 28 comments
Conspiracy theorists have been struggling for years to prove to everyone else that the Earth is flat....
 
Man trapped in snow survives on hot sauce
Posted 3-6-2019 | 8 comments
Jeremy Taylor and his dog resorted to eating sachets of Fire Sauce after getting stranded in snow for five days....
 
100mph wind literally bends radio tower in half
Posted 3-2-2019 | 8 comments
A communications tower on Sugarloaf Mountain crumpled like tin foil in strong winds on Monday....
 
South African 'resurrection' hoax goes viral
Posted 2-27-2019 | 8 comments
A pastor who 'resurrected' a man at a funeral recently is now at the center of a viral Internet phenomenon....
 

 View: More news in this category
 
Top   |  Home   |   Forum   |   News   |   Image Gallery   |  Columns   |   Encyclopedia   |   Videos   |   Polls
UM-X 10.712 Unexplained-Mysteries.com (c) 2001-2018
Terms   |   Privacy Policy   |   Cookies   |   Advertise   |   Contact   |   Help/FAQ