Friday, December 9, 2016

Singapore fisherman catches 'alien' creature

Posted on Wednesday, 15 October, 2014 | Comment icon 49 comments

The creature was a writhing mass of arms. Image Credit: YouTube / NYPost
Footage of a bizarre writhing specimen fished up near the island of Sentosa has been posted online.
54-year-old Ong Han Boon had been on a fishing trip when he reeled in a creature so strange that he thought it was an alien.

"When I pulled it out of the water, I was completely flummoxed by what I was looking at," he said.

"Iíve had quite a few odd things come out of the ocean, but I have never seen anything like this before in my life. It had all these arms waving around."

Grabbing a video camera Boon recorded the mysterious creature which resembled a big clump of writhing worm-like tentacles that wriggled around in a decidedly unnerving manner.

"Itís either an alien or Iíve discovered a new species of mutant sea creature, which would not surprise me with all the pollution they put in the water nowadays," he said.

Source: New York Post | Comments (49)

Tags: Sea Creature, Singapore

Comment icon #40 Posted by SpiritTraveler on 30 October, 2014, 7:29
And here's a video of how they move in realtime (it is not speeded up..) - while they are sorta related to the slow old starfish, they move much more like an octopus.. Fascinating creatures, and like I said, harmless. It's a dinner party!
Comment icon #41 Posted by Arbenol on 30 October, 2014, 8:31
The only thing unexplained about this mystery is whether a Singaporean fisherman really said "I was completely flummoxed".
Comment icon #42 Posted by ChrLzs on 30 October, 2014, 11:56
Aha - Arbenol, I think you have nailed it. According to my Singaporean-English translation dictionary, 'flummoxed' is an old Singaporean word that means "transfixed by the beauty of a basket star". So he actually knew what it was all the time and it was a simple miscommunication with the interviewer...
Comment icon #43 Posted by Karasu on 30 October, 2014, 16:55
And here's a video of how they move in realtime (it is not speeded up..) - while they are sorta related to the slow old starfish, they move much more like an octopus.. Fascinating creatures, and like I said, harmless. AHHHHHHH Spawn of Cthulu!
Comment icon #44 Posted by ChrLzs on 31 October, 2014, 12:25
All jokes aside, I genuinely have had several brittle stars almost exactly like that one above, and with tentacle spans of about 6" (15cm) crawling all over my hands.. they are incredibly gentle, yet quite fast and also quite dextrous, despite apparently having no eyes. I say 'apparently' as they act exactly like they can see .. because they can! Initially marine biologists thought they used their neurological system to quickly build up a 3d model of their environment from what each tentacle 'felt'... but then they discovered they reacted to the shadows of predators.. It seems they have very c... [More]
Comment icon #45 Posted by SolarPlexus on 6 November, 2014, 5:51
A known species of starfish
Comment icon #46 Posted by ChrLzs on 6 November, 2014, 10:01
A known species of starfish Thanks so much, Solar. Did you .. um .. read the thread at all?
Comment icon #47 Posted by Junior Chubb on 6 November, 2014, 15:23
Thanks so much, Solar. Did you .. um .. read the thread at all? And there was me thinking you only posted facts and refrained from sarcasm...
Comment icon #48 Posted by ChrLzs on 9 November, 2014, 7:07
Sometimes, the inability/unwillingness of folks to bother reading the thread (or even just the first and last pages..), is beyond my comprehension.. At which point the sarcasm, sadly, kicks in. I should resist, I know..
Comment icon #49 Posted by SolarPlexus on 9 November, 2014, 18:04
What's up bro?

Actual dinosaur tail found preserved in amber
12-8-2016
The unprecedented 99 million-year-old specimen contains preserved bones, soft tissues and feathers.
Mars One delays first manned mission to Mars
12-8-2016
The Netherlands-based firm has pushed back its ambitious plans by several years due to funding issues.
Bleak figures show giraffes face extinction
12-8-2016
The world's tallest animal has suffered a worrying decline in numbers over the last three decades.
Loch Ness Monster sightings are on the rise
12-7-2016
There have been more sightings of the elusive creature this year than during any other this millennium.
Featured book

By Toryn Chapman
Campbell Mackenzie is a successful lawyer with occasional feelings of déjà vu. There's just one problem, though - it's not déjà vu.
Exploding 6ft water balloon in slow motion
Posted 12-8-2016 | 1 comment
The Slo Mo Guys film what happens when you sit inside a giant exploding water balloon.

What happens when you swallow gum ?
Posted 12-7-2016 | 3 comments
Ever swallowed a piece of chewing gum by accident ? Here's what happens.

Indestructible coating ?
Posted 12-6-2016 | 5 comments
A look at polyurea, an elastomer that can make objects extremely difficult to damage.

World's longest shout
Posted 12-5-2016 | 1 comment
Christian Kinner from Germany managed to shout for over 43 seconds non-stop.

Top 10 facts about James Webb Telescope
Posted 12-4-2016 | 0 comments
A look at the upcoming orbital observatory and what it will see in the depths of space.

Not my daughter