Sunday, September 24, 2017

Singapore fisherman catches 'alien' creature

Posted on Wednesday, 15 October, 2014 | Comment icon 49 comments

The creature was a writhing mass of arms. Image Credit: YouTube / NYPost
Footage of a bizarre writhing specimen fished up near the island of Sentosa has been posted online.
54-year-old Ong Han Boon had been on a fishing trip when he reeled in a creature so strange that he thought it was an alien.

"When I pulled it out of the water, I was completely flummoxed by what I was looking at," he said.

"Iíve had quite a few odd things come out of the ocean, but I have never seen anything like this before in my life. It had all these arms waving around."

Grabbing a video camera Boon recorded the mysterious creature which resembled a big clump of writhing worm-like tentacles that wriggled around in a decidedly unnerving manner.

"Itís either an alien or Iíve discovered a new species of mutant sea creature, which would not surprise me with all the pollution they put in the water nowadays," he said.

Source: New York Post | Comments (49)

Tags: Sea Creature, Singapore

Comment icon #40 Posted by SpiritTraveler on 30 October, 2014, 7:29
And here's a video of how they move in realtime (it is not speeded up..) - while they are sorta related to the slow old starfish, they move much more like an octopus.. Fascinating creatures, and like I said, harmless. It's a dinner party!
Comment icon #41 Posted by Arbenol on 30 October, 2014, 8:31
The only thing unexplained about this mystery is whether a Singaporean fisherman really said "I was completely flummoxed".
Comment icon #42 Posted by ChrLzs on 30 October, 2014, 11:56
Aha - Arbenol, I think you have nailed it. According to my Singaporean-English translation dictionary, 'flummoxed' is an old Singaporean word that means "transfixed by the beauty of a basket star". So he actually knew what it was all the time and it was a simple miscommunication with the interviewer...
Comment icon #43 Posted by Karasu on 30 October, 2014, 16:55
And here's a video of how they move in realtime (it is not speeded up..) - while they are sorta related to the slow old starfish, they move much more like an octopus.. Fascinating creatures, and like I said, harmless. AHHHHHHH Spawn of Cthulu!
Comment icon #44 Posted by ChrLzs on 31 October, 2014, 12:25
All jokes aside, I genuinely have had several brittle stars almost exactly like that one above, and with tentacle spans of about 6" (15cm) crawling all over my hands.. they are incredibly gentle, yet quite fast and also quite dextrous, despite apparently having no eyes. I say 'apparently' as they act exactly like they can see .. because they can! Initially marine biologists thought they used their neurological system to quickly build up a 3d model of their environment from what each tentacle 'felt'... but then they discovered they reacted to the shadows of predators.. It seems they have very c... [More]
Comment icon #45 Posted by SolarPlexus on 6 November, 2014, 5:51
A known species of starfish
Comment icon #46 Posted by ChrLzs on 6 November, 2014, 10:01
A known species of starfish Thanks so much, Solar. Did you .. um .. read the thread at all?
Comment icon #47 Posted by Junior Chubb on 6 November, 2014, 15:23
Thanks so much, Solar. Did you .. um .. read the thread at all? And there was me thinking you only posted facts and refrained from sarcasm...
Comment icon #48 Posted by ChrLzs on 9 November, 2014, 7:07
Sometimes, the inability/unwillingness of folks to bother reading the thread (or even just the first and last pages..), is beyond my comprehension.. At which point the sarcasm, sadly, kicks in. I should resist, I know..
Comment icon #49 Posted by SolarPlexus on 9 November, 2014, 18:04
What's up bro?

Saudi Arabian textbook shows Yoda at the UN
9-23-2017
A doctored image of Yoda at the United Nations has somehow ended up in a history textbook.
Juno captures stunning new images of Jupiter
9-23-2017
NASA's Juno probe has sent back four breathtaking new images of the gas giant's swirling atmosphere.
100 people could live on the Moon by 2040
9-22-2017
ESA's ambitious 'Moon village' plan could see humans living on the lunar surface within 25 years.
Man who prevented World War 3 dies aged 77
9-22-2017
Former Soviet military officer Stanislav Petrov made a decision in 1983 that may have saved the world.
Will robots take over all our jobs ?
Posted 9-23-2017 | 1 comment
As computers become increasingly sophisticated, will there be any jobs left for us ?

Exploring Antarctica's hidden depths
Posted 9-22-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists investigate some of the wildlife hidden beneath the Antarctic ice.

Science-fiction spacesuits
Posted 9-21-2017 | 0 comments
Adam Savage investigates a number of intricately detailed spacesuits used in movies.

Extreme neodymium magnet
Posted 9-20-2017 | 0 comments
Unboxing a magnet so powerful that it can suspend huge weights off the underside of a table.

Derren Brown and new age crystals
Posted 9-19-2017 | 0 comments
The psychological illusionist is joined by actor Martin Freeman for this remarkable trick.

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY