Saturday, June 25, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Space & Astronomy > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Space & Astronomy

SpaceShipTwo makes first solo glide flight

October 14, 2010 | Comment icon 10 comments

Image Credit: Virgin Galactic
Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo has succeeded in its first solo glide flight at 45,000 feet.
Richard Branson's flagship space tourism airline is now one step closer to its goal of offering private trips in to space, the success of the flight has also received universal praise from space tourism advocates.
Virgin Galactic's space tourism rocket SpaceShipTwo achieved its first solo glide flight Sunday, marking another step in the company's eventual plans to fly paying passengers.

Source: Yahoo! News | Comments (10)

Comment icon #1 Posted by stevewinn 12 years ago
Comment icon #2 Posted by 111uminate 12 years ago
Comment icon #3 Posted by The Russian Hare 12 years ago
Tickets to ride aboard SpaceShipTwo cost $200,000. Some 370 customers have plunked down deposits totaling $50 million, according to Virgin Galactic. Take checks?
Comment icon #4 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: 12 years ago
Take checks? Wow. I wonder how many hungry mouths can be fed with 50 million? Crazy.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Dancingtiger 12 years ago
Come on Virgin Galactic, I want to get into space already! If my generation doesn't experience space flight on a somewhat commercial level, I'm going to terrorize your ships as a ghost. Passenger: What .. What is that? Flight Attendant: Oh, that's just a disgruntled spirit who passed on in life before we finally went commercial. Passenger: He seems .. really angry. Will he go away? Flight Attendant: Frankly, I don't know. His generation experienced the most depressing era of manned space flight. Lol, I second this. I would haunt NASA myself. They really could use someone lighting a fire under ... [More]
Comment icon #6 Posted by SpiderCyde 12 years ago
You watch, Branson is the next Zephram Cochrane. lol
Comment icon #7 Posted by Esoteric Toad 12 years ago
Wow. I wonder how many hungry mouths can be fed with 50 million? Crazy. Absolutely zero. Unless they can digest the paper. That 50 million will be spent to further more missions, pay employees, research, etc....not all of it is going to be locked away. As it works its way through their company and the companies that do business with them almost all of the people that are paid by that 50 million will spend that money to buy goods and services, which obviously helps those providing those goods and services. I'll venture that a lot of those folks give to their communities and charities as well. I... [More]
Comment icon #8 Posted by ROGER 12 years ago
I think Bigalow has the right idea. Have an orbiting "Hotel" to fly to, spend a few days, then return. Now THAT would be a trip! http://www.bigelowaerospace.com/
Comment icon #9 Posted by Xpeople 12 years ago
I wonder when they are going to send it into space. It should be soon.
Comment icon #10 Posted by MID 12 years ago
i was reading this on the teletext. i dont know what to make of it. is it a good thing? i dont wont space ruined by the rich like earth as. besides that i dont think i'd go on the flight. i hate flying, i think i'd lay an egg if i went on one of these space flights. Steve, I'm not so much interested at what Branson is involved with as I am with Rutan's design and how well it flies. This vehicle flew beautifully....a fantastic piece of aerodynamic work by perhaps the greatest aerodynamicist on the planet today. I'm intersted in the machine, and how she'll perform, rather than some commercial an... [More]

Total Posts: 7,283,704    Topics: 299,651    Members: 197,498