Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Man can stick bottles and cans to his head

Posted on Monday, 25 January, 2016 | Comment icon 17 comments

Keeton can stick anything to his skin. Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 LWP Communications / Flickr
A man who has become known as 'canhead' possesses the unique ability to stick objects to his head.
Jamie Keeton of Evergreen Park in Illinois is able to perform the peculiar feat due to a medical condition so rare that doctors don't even have a name for it.

He first discovered his unique talent quite by accident during a ball game 23 years ago.

"I was trying to cool my head down because it was a hot day. And all of a sudden they hit a home run," he said. "I went up to grab it... I missed it, and then said, 'Where's my drink?' Everybody was laughing... The drink was stuck to the back of my head. The drink was pouring out of it."

Now known as 'canhead', Keeton has since become something of a celebrity and last week even managed to secure a Guinness World Record in China for sticking eight cans to his head.

Nobody knows exactly how he is able to do it but one possibility is that his abnormally high body temperature of 100 degrees may be causing his pores to act a bit like suction-cups.

Source: | Comments (17)

Tags: Canhead, Jamie Keeton

Comment icon #8 Posted by Lucas Cooper Merrin on 25 January, 2016, 16:57
Its sweat! I can stick cutlery and pans to myself after ive worked up a sweat!
Comment icon #9 Posted by Twin on 25 January, 2016, 19:54
I can stick two coke cans to my forehead but it actually works better if they are full (not opened). It's just the suction action. The lobes of my forehead are shaped just right for coke - other brands don't work so well. I put the can on my damp forehead & manually move the skin away from the can a little creating suction.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Twin on 25 January, 2016, 19:56
Comment icon #11 Posted by Twin on 25 January, 2016, 20:00
See him slide it a little when he places it? that pulls on the skin a little creating suction. No mystery.
Comment icon #12 Posted by Chibadiba on 25 January, 2016, 21:02
I present you with the newest member of the X-Men, Can Head!
Comment icon #13 Posted by kapow53 on 26 January, 2016, 1:56
This man is a true American hero.
Comment icon #14 Posted by qxcontinuum on 27 January, 2016, 5:33
i can do the same thing. It is called suction and requires a bit of fat
Comment icon #15 Posted by Ashyne on 27 January, 2016, 15:17
His body temperature is at 100 degrees always? All the water in his body must be boiling and turning into steam then.
Comment icon #16 Posted by Ashyne on 27 January, 2016, 15:23
ChrLrz, I dont know any studies but the BASIC, not sure about advanced, science. Most cans and bottles have a concave area at bottm of can, not completely flat. If his pores are acting like suction cups then it needs a complete seal around the can. The concave part of his head fits perfectly inside that concave and between that and pores it suctions it to his head. I dont think flat bottomed would work or even if his head was just slightly different shaped head because that seal around bottom of can is flush with skin. I also believe that is the case as all the flat bottomed objects are placed... [More]
Comment icon #17 Posted by AustinHinton on 27 January, 2016, 22:07
He must have a very magnetic personality...

Amazon boss takes his robot dog for a walk
Tech entrepreneur Jeff Bezos attended Amazon's annual MARS conference with a very unusual companion.
World's last male northern white rhino dies
The last remaining male of the species, Sudan, was put down on Monday after several months of ill-health.
Did a mystic predict Putin's rise to power ?
During a meeting in 1979, blind mystic Baba Vanga allegedly predicted that Putin would 'rule the world'.
New study hints at 'Oumuamua's origins
Researchers believe that it is very likely that the interstellar asteroid came from a binary star system.
Monkeys learn to socialize
Posted 3-18-2018 | 0 comments
These young vervet monkeys must learn to socialize before being released in to the wild.
Why don't birds get frostbite ?
Posted 3-16-2018 | 0 comments
How do birds stop their legs from getting frostbitten during freezing temperatures ?
Most straws in a beard
Posted 3-15-2018 | 2 comments
Kyle Kozemchick stuck 215 straws in to his beard for this bizarre world record attempt.
Michio Kaku on asteroid mining
Posted 3-13-2018 | 1 comment
Theoretical physicist Michio Kaku discusses the possibility of mining asteroids in space.
Fastest people in slow motion
Posted 3-12-2018 | 1 comment
A look at the world's fastest card thrower and an amazing fast draw world champion.
Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada
Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA
I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington
Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA