Wednesday, December 7, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon  
You are viewing: Home > News > World of the Bizarre > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )  
World of the Bizarre

Vicar catches on fire during online sermon

By T.K. Randall
March 22, 2020 · Comment icon 8 comments



The Reverend got a little too close to his candles. Image Credit: Twitter / @StIvesMermaid
A Plymouth vicar managed to set his own clothes on fire while filming for his church's online Sunday service.
In a recently uploaded video clip, Reverend Stephen Beach of St Budeaux Parish Church had been recording an introduction to his sermon when, having leaned a little too close to an arrangement of candles on the table beside him, he inadvertantly set his clothes on fire.

"Well, welcome back to our last part of our online worship experience from St Budeaux Parish Church," he can be heard saying before uttering what is perhaps the most understated realization of being set on fire that you're ever likely to hear...

"Oh dear I've just caught fire. Oh my word. Ha."
Fortunately he noticed quickly enough to be able to pat out the flames with his hand and was not thought to have sustained any injuries during the incident.

"My uncle is the vicar of St Budeaux Parish," his niece, Laura Evans, wrote on Twitter.

"Last night he gave his online sermon and things got a bit hot under the (dog) collar."



Source: Plymouth Herald | Comments (8)


Recent comments on this story
Comment icon #1 Posted by Piney 3 years ago
Paying attention are we?.......
Comment icon #2 Posted by Kittens Are Jerks 3 years ago
So British: "Oh dear, I just caught fire."
Comment icon #3 Posted by Saru 3 years ago
I love that, the most understated reaction to catching fire ever. Fortunately he put it out quickly - just as well he noticed it.
Comment icon #4 Posted by eddword 3 years ago
This was definitely an ALTAR-cation as a result of a fiery sermon!
Comment icon #5 Posted by acute 3 years ago
He's most likely a friar.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Stiff 3 years ago
Holy smoke!That was groan worthy.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Jaded1 3 years ago
He got burnt because he momentarily reverted to his true form.
Comment icon #8 Posted by jowasmus 3 years ago
I feel for you, I really do. When we got married back in '99, my wife accidentally leaned into a candle with her veil. It didn't do anything more than melt a hole in it, but for a few seconds it was one of those cringe worthy moments for Funniest Home Videos. It happens. At the very least, there will be a funny story to tell for awhile in the midst of these crazy times.


Please Login or Register to post a comment.


Our new book is out now!

The Unexplained Mysteries
Book of Weird News

 AVAILABLE NOW 

Take a walk on the weird side with this compilation of some of the weirdest stories ever to grace the pages of a newspaper.

Click here to learn more

We need your help!

Support us on Patreon

 BONUS CONTENT 

For less than the cost of a cup of coffee, you can gain access to a wide range of exclusive perks including our popular 'Lost Ghost Stories' series.

Click here to learn more

 Total Posts: 7,368,812    Topics: 303,263    Members: 199,003

 Not a member yet ? Click here to join - registration is free and only takes a moment!
Recent news and articles