Monday, December 5, 2016

Mars One announces satellite and lander

Posted on Wednesday, 11 December, 2013 | Comment icon 26 comments

Mars One's ultimate goal is to settle a human colony on Mars. Image Credit: Mars One / Bryan Vertseeg
The company aiming to send humans on a one-way Mars trip is set to launch a robotic mission by 2018.
With more than 200,000 applicants signed up for a one-way ticket to Mars, the ambitious Mars One project has been at the receiving end of a fair amount of skepticism since announcing its intentions to have humans living and working on the Red Planet by as early as 2024.

The seemingly infeasible goal has done little to dampen the company's enthusiasm however as this week Mars One have announced plans to send a robotic mission to Mars within just four years.

The mission is aimed at testing out the technologies that will be needed to send humans to Mars and will consist of a lander and a communications satellite. Aerospace company Lockheed Martin will be working on the lander while UK-based company Surrey Satellites has been contracted to work on the satellite.

Mars One CEO Bas Lansdorp described the endeavor as "the first step in Mars One's overall plan of establishing a permanent human settlement on Mars." If it goes ahead then it will already be entering the record books as the first ever privately funded mission to another planet.

Source: The Guardian | Comments (26)

Tags: Mars

Comment icon #17 Posted by skookum on 14 December, 2013, 12:46
Another concern is the effects of being weightless for 6 months and then being pushed into an environment where there would be a lot of construction, setting things up just to survive. I appreciate that Mars has less gravity and people have survived in weightless environments for far longer. They will suffer muscle deterioration and may not be capable physically of setting up a base when they arrived. I read sometime back it was a major concern when Nasa started to think about manned Mars missions. People who have been on the space stations for any length of time sometimes need help just to st... [More]
Comment icon #18 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 15 December, 2013, 4:36
People who have been on the space stations for any length of time sometimes need help just to stand up on their return. Things have moved on since then. With the exercise regime that astronauts/cosmonauts go through they can generally walk almost as soon as they land. Muscle wasting is minimal (bone loss is more of a concern). The Russians have been looking into the ability of cosmonauts to do complex tasks after long duration missions. In March Russian cosmonauts Oleg Novitsky and Yevgeny Tarelkin simulated landing a spacecraft on Mars, using a centrifuge, immediately after returning from a s... [More]
Comment icon #19 Posted by Junior Chubb on 16 December, 2013, 10:17
This is not suicide, this is progress; the next logical evolutionary step for humanity. I hope you signed up then
Comment icon #20 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 17 December, 2013, 12:27
I hope you signed up then I may be an optimist about the future of spaceflight but I am a realist when it comes to my own abilities. there is no way an overweight, unfit, very short sighted, diabetic, 48 year old is going to be selected. You have been very selective in which part of my post you quoted. I left wonder at the reason you ignored me saying this: Personally I don't think the time is right for this, we simply don't know enough to guarantee the safety of the intrepid voyagers. I'm also not convinced that "reality" TV is the correct reason to do this
Comment icon #21 Posted by Junior Chubb on 17 December, 2013, 23:26
I may be an optimist about the future of spaceflight but I am a realist when it comes to my own abilities. there is no way an overweight, unfit, very short sighted, diabetic, 48 year old is going to be selected. You have been very selective in which part of my post you quoted. I left wonder at the reason you ignored me saying this: Of course it was selective, it was a quip (with a winking smiley at the end) rather than a constructive break down of your post. I didn't really want to get into the rest of your post, you seemed to 'want to' disagree with other peoples opinions of the Mars One proj... [More]
Comment icon #22 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 18 December, 2013, 5:39
I didn't really want to get into the rest of your post, you seemed to 'want to' disagree with other peoples opinions of the Mars One project while ultimately agreeing with them. It's not that I want to disagree with them. There have been quite a few thread on this topic and I have tried to keep out of them because my position can come across as ambiguous. It isn't but I didn't want to spend a long time explaining it. However as I've foolishly allowed myself to be sucked in I'll try to explain. There are many good reasons why I do not believe that the model chosen for Mars One is a good one, ho... [More]
Comment icon #23 Posted by Junior Chubb on 19 December, 2013, 0:23
Blimey Waspie, I take it you feel quite strongly about this one. I was on my way to bed but hey ho lets go... It's not that I want to disagree with them. There have been quite a few thread on this topic and I have tried to keep out of them because my position can come across as ambiguous. It isn't but I didn't want to spend a long time explaining it. However as I've foolishly allowed myself to be sucked in I'll try to explain. I know that feeling... There are many good reasons why I do not believe that the model chosen for Mars One is a good one, however many of the reasons people are giving a... [More]
Comment icon #24 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 19 December, 2013, 2:34
Blimey Waspie, I take it you feel quite strongly about this one. I feel VERY strongly about all aspects of space exploration. I firmly believe that it is the best and only hope for the prolonged existence of humanity as a species. You need to give some of the UM users more credit. My comments were aimed ONLY at those making incorrect assumptions. I am fully aware that there are many logical and factual options that have been expressed on this. By the same token, if you go back and read through all the previous thread (it will take you time, there are a lot of them) then you will see that there... [More]
Comment icon #25 Posted by Junior Chubb on 19 December, 2013, 19:53
I feel VERY strongly about all aspects of space exploration. I firmly believe that it is the best and only hope for the prolonged existence of humanity as a species. I can only agree with this, and have argued it myself in the past. My comments were aimed ONLY at those making incorrect assumptions. I am fully aware that there are many logical and factual options that have been expressed on this. By the same token, if you go back and read through all the previous thread (it will take you time, there are a lot of them) then you will see that there are a lot of illogical and fallacious opinions e... [More]
Comment icon #26 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 23 December, 2013, 7:12
2018 Mars Lander 360 animationThe Mars One 2018 demonstration mission is scheduled to launch in May of 2018. The lander design is based on the successful Mars lander, the 2007 NASA Phoenix mission, built by Lockheed Martin.Credit: Mars OneSource: Mars One - YouTube Channel

Trip to the Moon could be available by 2026
12-5-2016
Moon Express is hoping to be able to send people on trips to the Moon within as little as ten years.
AI predicts the future by watching videos
12-5-2016
An artificial intelligence is learning how to anticipate what is going to happen in the next few seconds.
Virgin Galactic test flight proves a success
12-5-2016
Richard Branson's fledgling space tourism firm is back on track following a fatal crash two years ago.
Could alien life thrive on brown dwarf stars?
12-4-2016
Extrasolar planets may not be the only place where it is possible to find signs of extraterrestrial life.
Featured book

By Toryn Chapman
Campbell Mackenzie is a successful lawyer with occasional feelings of déjà vu. There's just one problem, though - it's not déjà vu.
World's longest shout
Posted 12-5-2016 | 0 comments
Christian Kinner from Germany managed to shout for over 43 seconds non-stop.

Top 10 facts about James Webb Telescope
Posted 12-4-2016 | 0 comments
A look at the upcoming orbital observatory and what it will see in the depths of space.

Jumping widowbirds
Posted 12-3-2016 | 2 comments
These male widowbirds are competing to see which of them can jump the highest.

Why do we like shiny things ?
Posted 12-2-2016 | 7 comments
Why do we seem to be intrinsically drawn from an early age to shiny objects ?

Why are dogs so different ?
Posted 12-1-2016 | 5 comments
Despite being the same species, various breeds of dogs can be very different indeed.

Not my daughter