Friday, September 22, 2017

'Alien goo' turns out to contain Magpie DNA

Posted on Thursday, 23 January, 2014 | Comment icon 30 comments

The substance appears to have come from a bird. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Aviceda
A strange sticky translucent substance that was found after a UFO sighting has been tested by scientists.
The discovery of a strange translucent slime at an RSPB nature reserve in Somerset following an alleged UFO sighting in February last year prompted a spate of news reports at the time promoting the possibility that the mysterious goo could be extraterrestrial in origin.

The discovery of the substance mirrors several similar discoveries that have been made over the years of an unidentified slime-like substance, sometimes referred to as "star jelly", on the ground following meteorological events.

Scientists at the Natural History Museum who have since studied the substance however have concluded that, far from coming from outer space, the peculiar slime appears to contain a combination of frog and magpie DNA.

"Now that could mean that it's a frog that's been ingested by a magpie and the indigestible parts have been coughed up in to the sticky gel," said Stuart Hine of the Identification and Advisory Service. "However, we've got to explore a bit further."

Source: IB Times | Comments (30)

Tags: Star Jelly

Comment icon #21 Posted by Calibeliever on 24 January, 2014, 18:27
I can't help it ... S #1: What? A swallow carrying a coconut? A: It could grip it by the husk! S #1: It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut!
Comment icon #22 Posted by CRIPTIC CHAMELEON on 24 January, 2014, 19:01
Hmm so star jelly = Maggie vomit.
Comment icon #23 Posted by BlueShift on 4 February, 2014, 16:10
I've come to believe that there are no paranormal, supernatural entities or events, only undiscovered science. Of course, if it is in reality and undiscovered, that is exactly what it is, undiscovered science.. That can be said about any kind of phenomenon that actually exists even if it turns out to be ghosts, aliens, or anything for that matter.
Comment icon #24 Posted by Xynoplas on 4 February, 2014, 21:27
I think the term is "preternatural".
Comment icon #25 Posted by Eldorado on 4 February, 2014, 23:19
Hmm so star jelly = Maggie vomit. Or alien vomit. An alien who just ate a magpie... for stealing his silver.... but said magpie tasted worse than *snip* Edited to remove the word *snip* Edited to remove the word *snip* Edited to remove the word *snip* Edited to remove the word *snip* lol
Comment icon #26 Posted by libstaK on 5 February, 2014, 11:11
Just in case people didn't realise, the magpie in the picture is an Australian Magpie, which is completely unrelated to the European Magpie I assume was responsible for the goo. Oh I don't know how unrelated they are - seems to me Australia has been under the first wave of Alien attack by the Aust Magpie regiment for some years now. Who knew an alien attack would look like this
Comment icon #27 Posted by sunshaker on 3 March, 2014, 11:56
Aliens use the form of magpies, For years i have seen things that seem to overlap our reality, One day i was drawn to a wooded area with an open field, In the field was a large group of magpies, I sat down on the bank for no more than 5mins, then i heard music and talking, I sat up and looked in the field and there was a large group of "people" having a barbie where the magpies where 5 mins before, I got up and walked over and through this crowd of "people" and could hear them saying he seen us he knows who we are, It was a scary experience. Over the years i have been able to see these "shape-... [More]
Comment icon #28 Posted by Peter B on 3 March, 2014, 15:27
Comment icon #29 Posted by jesspy on 5 March, 2014, 6:11
goo = magpie poo??? Yeah the Australian magpies are the worst. Although I do have "pet" ones that live behind my house. Well the magpies swoop down and steal food when we have a BBQ in the backyard. They also like to swoop our pet rabbit and cats.
Comment icon #30 Posted by sunshaker on 6 March, 2014, 9:59
Not one of them noticed you prior to their shapeshift? You stumbled on their secret and even walked through the group and overheard their comments, yet you walked away alive? You know who they are and that they feed on us, they know you know, and yet you're still alive? Please pardon my skepticism. What do you think they where eating on the barbie? ME, My past self, It has always been this way it does not worry me anymore, This world is full of wonders few would ever comprehend. Jesus done the same with the fishes feeding the 5000, he put is hand in the basket and took out the "past fish" , I ... [More]

Plants may need to sleep, just like we do
9-21-2017
A new study has suggested that sleep may actually be fundamental to all life, not just to animals.
Europe withdraws from anti-asteroid mission
9-21-2017
An upcoming mission designed to test out the deflection of a large asteroid has hit a bit of a snag.
Giant prehistoric frog ate small dinosaurs
9-21-2017
At the size of a beach ball, the monster-sized Beelzebufo ampinga was the largest frog that ever lived.
550 million-year-old creature mystery solved
9-20-2017
Scientists believe that they have finally worked out what type of creature 'Dickinsonia' actually was.
Science-fiction spacesuits
Posted 9-21-2017 | 0 comments
Adam Savage investigates a number of intricately detailed spacesuits used in movies.

Extreme neodymium magnet
Posted 9-20-2017 | 0 comments
Unboxing a magnet so powerful that it can suspend huge weights off the underside of a table.

Derren Brown and new age crystals
Posted 9-19-2017 | 0 comments
The psychological illusionist is joined by actor Martin Freeman for this remarkable trick.

I'll eat my hat
Posted 9-18-2017 | 0 comments
Where did the strange phrase 'I'll eat my hat' actually come from ?

Meet the microscopic life in your home
Posted 9-17-2017 | 0 comments
Think your home is free of meddlesome microscopic life forms ? Think again.

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY