Friday, July 28, 2017

'Alien goo' turns out to contain Magpie DNA

Posted on Thursday, 23 January, 2014 | Comment icon 30 comments

The substance appears to have come from a bird. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Aviceda
A strange sticky translucent substance that was found after a UFO sighting has been tested by scientists.
The discovery of a strange translucent slime at an RSPB nature reserve in Somerset following an alleged UFO sighting in February last year prompted a spate of news reports at the time promoting the possibility that the mysterious goo could be extraterrestrial in origin.

The discovery of the substance mirrors several similar discoveries that have been made over the years of an unidentified slime-like substance, sometimes referred to as "star jelly", on the ground following meteorological events.

Scientists at the Natural History Museum who have since studied the substance however have concluded that, far from coming from outer space, the peculiar slime appears to contain a combination of frog and magpie DNA.

"Now that could mean that it's a frog that's been ingested by a magpie and the indigestible parts have been coughed up in to the sticky gel," said Stuart Hine of the Identification and Advisory Service. "However, we've got to explore a bit further."

Source: IB Times | Comments (30)

Tags: Star Jelly

Comment icon #21 Posted by Calibeliever on 24 January, 2014, 18:27
I can't help it ... S #1: What? A swallow carrying a coconut? A: It could grip it by the husk! S #1: It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut!
Comment icon #22 Posted by CRIPTIC CHAMELEON on 24 January, 2014, 19:01
Hmm so star jelly = Maggie vomit.
Comment icon #23 Posted by BlueShift on 4 February, 2014, 16:10
I've come to believe that there are no paranormal, supernatural entities or events, only undiscovered science. Of course, if it is in reality and undiscovered, that is exactly what it is, undiscovered science.. That can be said about any kind of phenomenon that actually exists even if it turns out to be ghosts, aliens, or anything for that matter.
Comment icon #24 Posted by Xynoplas on 4 February, 2014, 21:27
I think the term is "preternatural".
Comment icon #25 Posted by Eldorado on 4 February, 2014, 23:19
Hmm so star jelly = Maggie vomit. Or alien vomit. An alien who just ate a magpie... for stealing his silver.... but said magpie tasted worse than *snip* Edited to remove the word *snip* Edited to remove the word *snip* Edited to remove the word *snip* Edited to remove the word *snip* lol
Comment icon #26 Posted by libstaK on 5 February, 2014, 11:11
Just in case people didn't realise, the magpie in the picture is an Australian Magpie, which is completely unrelated to the European Magpie I assume was responsible for the goo. Oh I don't know how unrelated they are - seems to me Australia has been under the first wave of Alien attack by the Aust Magpie regiment for some years now. Who knew an alien attack would look like this
Comment icon #27 Posted by sunshaker on 3 March, 2014, 11:56
Aliens use the form of magpies, For years i have seen things that seem to overlap our reality, One day i was drawn to a wooded area with an open field, In the field was a large group of magpies, I sat down on the bank for no more than 5mins, then i heard music and talking, I sat up and looked in the field and there was a large group of "people" having a barbie where the magpies where 5 mins before, I got up and walked over and through this crowd of "people" and could hear them saying he seen us he knows who we are, It was a scary experience. Over the years i have been able to see these "shape-... [More]
Comment icon #28 Posted by Peter B on 3 March, 2014, 15:27
Comment icon #29 Posted by jesspy on 5 March, 2014, 6:11
goo = magpie poo??? Yeah the Australian magpies are the worst. Although I do have "pet" ones that live behind my house. Well the magpies swoop down and steal food when we have a BBQ in the backyard. They also like to swoop our pet rabbit and cats.
Comment icon #30 Posted by sunshaker on 6 March, 2014, 9:59
Not one of them noticed you prior to their shapeshift? You stumbled on their secret and even walked through the group and overheard their comments, yet you walked away alive? You know who they are and that they feed on us, they know you know, and yet you're still alive? Please pardon my skepticism. What do you think they where eating on the barbie? ME, My past self, It has always been this way it does not worry me anymore, This world is full of wonders few would ever comprehend. Jesus done the same with the fishes feeding the 5000, he put is hand in the basket and took out the "past fish" , I ... [More]

California residents report 'Chupacabra'
7-27-2017
Alleged sightings of the cryptozoological creature have sparked concerns over the safety of local pets.
Our atoms came from far across the universe
7-27-2017
A new study has revealed that half of the atoms that make up our bodies have come from beyond the galaxy.
Private firm set to land on the Moon in 2019
7-27-2017
Astrobotic is aiming to land its unmanned Peregrine lunar lander on the surface of the Moon in two years' time.
3,500-year-old lunch box found in Swiss Alps
7-26-2017
An extraordinarily well-preserved lunch box has been discovered on Switzerland's Lotschberg mountain.
Octopus goes for a walk
Posted 7-27-2017 | 4 comments
As this video shows, not all octopus' limit their exploration to the bottom of the sea.

Augmented reality
Posted 7-26-2017 | 1 comment
A look at a new technology that superimposes computer-generated images over the real world.

Redefining the kilogram
Posted 7-24-2017 | 0 comments

Stretchy batteries
Posted 7-23-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists have come up with a way to make batteries and their cases stretchy.

Counting to one billion
Posted 7-22-2017 | 1 comment

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI