Friday, July 28, 2017

Aldrin implores world to step up Mars efforts

Posted on Wednesday, 9 July, 2014 | Comment icon 30 comments

Buzz Aldrin at the Space for Society symposium. Image Credit: CC BY 2.5 Bryan Tong Minh
Apollo astronaut Buzz Aldrin believes that more should be done to enable the colonization of Mars.
Speaking at an online question-and-answer session with social media site Reddit, the second man to ever step foot on the moon put forward his belief that mankind's next step in the exploration of space should be to colonize the Red Planet.

"There is very little doubt, in my mind, that what the next monumental achievement of humanity will be the first landing by an Earthling, a human being, on the planet Mars," he said.

"And I expect that within two decades of the 50th anniversary of the first landing on the moon America will lead an international presence on Planet Mars."

Aldrin suggested that anyone who does go to Mars shouldn't return to Earth straight away but should instead be part of an effort to build up a long-term presence on the planet, something he personally refers to as "permanence".

"The first human beings to land on Mars should not come back to Earth," he said. "They should be the beginning of a build-up of a colony/settlement. A settlement you can visit once or twice, come back, and then decide you want to settle."

The Apollo astronaut also spoke a bit about his historic trip to the moon in 1969.

"There is no place on earth as desolate as what I was viewing in those first moments on the lunar surface," he said. "Because I realised what I was looking at, towards the horizon and in every direction, had not changed in hundreds, thousands of years."

Source: News.com.au | Comments (30)

Tags: Mars, Buzz Aldrin

Comment icon #21 Posted by The Puzzler on 10 July, 2014, 12:24
Lots of people. People with vision. Brave people with a spirit of adventure. Pioneering people with a desire to better mankind. The sort of people that spread mankind throughout the planet Earth instead of sitting in their cave saying "who wants to see what is in the next valley?" My idea of a "better mankind" is quite different to yours then.
Comment icon #22 Posted by toast on 10 July, 2014, 13:16
My idea of a "better mankind" is quite different to yours then. Space exploration is not just about to drill holes in celestial bodies and to spin around the earth for some spectacular views. As cosmic radiation is a major thread to humans in space a lot of research is performed in the section on cancer research and maybe one day this research will lead to the elemination of one of the key threads to individuals. Some examples here: http://www.nasa.gov/centers/marshall/news/background/facts/MEPS.html http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/268137main_AARP_IPP_FACTSHEET.pdf
Comment icon #23 Posted by Ashyne on 13 July, 2014, 2:00
Who the hell wants to go to Mars? I've seen Total Recall, you won't get me going to Mars in my lifetime I know that. Don't they have better things to spend money on, like fixing the mess on Earth first.....? The point of going to Mars is not simply about "going to Mars". It is one of the first few steps, the starting foundations, to spreading Humanity across the solar system, then outwards across the galaxy. It is a checkpoint, a milestone to test our spaceflight and colonization capabilities and our ability to work together not as a single nation or entity, but as a species across boundaries ... [More]
Comment icon #24 Posted by coolguy on 13 July, 2014, 3:30
Comment icon #25 Posted by Antilles on 13 July, 2014, 5:29
I think NASA will send a mission to Mars but it won't be in my lifetime. It's a great idea though.
Comment icon #26 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 13 July, 2014, 10:02
We will never see men on mars in our life times or maybe never at all Its all scince fiction.lets put back man on the moon frist and go from there What makes it science fiction? Why do you think the insurmountable problems are that mean we will never land there? There are difficulties sure, exposure to radiation being the main one, but there are no real technological show stoppers. No problems that couldn't be overcome in the next ten to twenty years. NASA has no interest in returning to the Moon, they've been there, done that and got the tee-shirt. Other space agencies are looking to the Moon... [More]
Comment icon #27 Posted by skookum on 13 July, 2014, 10:29
I am 40 and don't expect to see a human foot on Mars in my lifetime. Technology wise I think we could pull it off, but financially it is probably another 60 years away.
Comment icon #28 Posted by gatekeeper32 on 13 July, 2014, 22:18
As an old friend of my said be more concern with the home you living in now then the one you have yet to move to.
Comment icon #29 Posted by cyclopes500 on 15 July, 2014, 13:12
Comment icon #30 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 15 July, 2014, 21:44
Why don't they just send death row convicts to Mars and get them to set up some sort of base or facility in the form of specially designed DIY kit. If they do the job they get set free. If they don't they die. If they succeed they come back heroes and get a second chance at being decent humans? I mean Texas death row must have at least 1 expendable inmate that has the brains to put a computer, kit car and a garden shed together. Yeah the British Empire did something similar, it was called transportation and it was not Britain's finest hour. Most of the world has moved on from the unethical beh... [More]

California residents report 'Chupacabra'
7-27-2017
Alleged sightings of the cryptozoological creature have sparked concerns over the safety of local pets.
Our atoms came from far across the universe
7-27-2017
A new study has revealed that half of the atoms that make up our bodies have come from beyond the galaxy.
Private firm set to land on the Moon in 2019
7-27-2017
Astrobotic is aiming to land its unmanned Peregrine lunar lander on the surface of the Moon in two years' time.
3,500-year-old lunch box found in Swiss Alps
7-26-2017
An extraordinarily well-preserved lunch box has been discovered on Switzerland's Lotschberg mountain.
Octopus goes for a walk
Posted 7-27-2017 | 4 comments
As this video shows, not all octopus' limit their exploration to the bottom of the sea.

Augmented reality
Posted 7-26-2017 | 1 comment
A look at a new technology that superimposes computer-generated images over the real world.

Redefining the kilogram
Posted 7-24-2017 | 0 comments

Stretchy batteries
Posted 7-23-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists have come up with a way to make batteries and their cases stretchy.

Counting to one billion
Posted 7-22-2017 | 1 comment

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI