Monday, December 5, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon  
You are viewing: Home > News > Nature & Environment > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )  
Nature & Environment

Komodo Dragons have venomous bite

By T.K. Randall
May 20, 2009 · Comment icon 11 comments



Image Credit: Wikipedia
It has been discovered that Komodo Dragons have a venomous bite. Up until now it was thought that bacteria was responsible for infecting and subduing its prey, however a venom gland has now been found with ducts leading to the creatures' teeth.
The Komodo dragon has a bite tinged with a deadly venom, according to researchers.Previously it was thought the Komodo's mouth harboured virulent bacteria that quickly infected and subdued prey. But an analysis of Komodo specimens has shown a well-developed venom gland with ducts that lead to their large teeth."


Source: BBC News | Comments (11)


Recent comments on this story
Comment icon #2 Posted by The Silver Thong 14 years ago
Awesome creatures I love em maybe not as a pet but hmmmm LOL It's not really a venom that they create but a bacteria that infects. Some Komodo's have been known to bite a buffalo and follow them for a week till the infection drops the animal to it's knees. The scary thing to is they will hunt humans ahhhhhhh.
Comment icon #3 Posted by Lady Amethyst 14 years ago
Interesting, and they say that bacteria was the cause. I think every animal, including humans have got bacteria in their mouths.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Dr. Peter Venkman 14 years ago
Awesome creatures I love em maybe not as a pet but hmmmm LOL It's not really a venom that they create but a bacteria that infects. Some Komodo's have been known to bite a buffalo and follow them for a week till the infection drops the animal to it's knees. The scary thing to is they will hunt humans ahhhhhhh. Yes, it is a venom. that was the point of the study that the OP linked to. it puts the old bacteries thing to rest. Pretty cool huh?
Comment icon #5 Posted by _Libby 14 years ago
Ace. I always thought the bacteria explanation seemed more likely, but hey ho. They're so cute though!
Comment icon #6 Posted by monkipuzzle 14 years ago
This is very old news... V. komodoensis venom has been used in my own research... D
Comment icon #7 Posted by Eaglelox 14 years ago
so i wonder, is the bacteria still virulent as well. is it a mix of poison and bacteria.
Comment icon #8 Posted by The Silver Thong 14 years ago
Yes, it is a venom. that was the point of the study that the OP linked to. it puts the old bacteries thing to rest. Pretty cool huh? Cool, I guess I'm a little out of date lol
Comment icon #9 Posted by DieChecker 14 years ago
Seems we can learn something new even about well known and studied creatures. Those who think that they know it all many times don't.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Malakthrin 14 years ago
Interesting, and they say that bacteria was the cause. I think every animal, including humans have got bacteria in their mouths. Humans have a lot of bacteria in their mouths, enough to cause a rather infectious wound. Dogs mouths are a lot cleaner than ours
Comment icon #11 Posted by GreytMuse 14 years ago
This is very old news... V. komodoensis venom has been used in my own research... D What is the area of your research? Sounds interesting!


Please Login or Register to post a comment.


Our new book is out now!

The Unexplained Mysteries
Book of Weird News

 AVAILABLE NOW 

Take a walk on the weird side with this compilation of some of the weirdest stories ever to grace the pages of a newspaper.

Click here to learn more

We need your help!

Support us on Patreon

 BONUS CONTENT 

For less than the cost of a cup of coffee, you can gain access to a wide range of exclusive perks including our popular 'Lost Ghost Stories' series.

Click here to learn more

 Total Posts: 7,367,700    Topics: 303,212    Members: 198,979

 Not a member yet ? Click here to join - registration is free and only takes a moment!
Recent news and articles