Monday, August 8, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Modern Mysteries > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Modern Mysteries

Amelia Earhart mystery solved ?

August 2, 2009 | Comment icon 18 comments

Image Credit: Wikipedia
Researchers believe they are on the verge of solving one of aviation's greatest mysteries - the disappearance of Amelia Earhart. DNA evidence to be collected from Nikumaroro Island will reportedly show that she had ended up stranded there.
It has been 72 years since famed aviator Amelia Earhart and navigator Fred Noonan disappeared while attempting to fly around the world. But the mystery remains unsolved: Nobody knows exactly what happened to Earhart or her plane.

Source: ABC News | Comments (18)

Comment icon #9 Posted by psyche101 13 years ago
Interesting Although it doesn't take a half-million to fly down there and take some samples...ugh. Cool nonetheless No? What does it cost?
Comment icon #10 Posted by FairyJosie25 13 years ago
"What Elgen needs to explain is, who sent all those radio distress calls in the days following Earhart's disappearance? He'll say that the Coast Guard later proclaimed them to all be hoaxes and misunderstandings. That is true. It is also true that the Coast Guard had no basis for saying that," Gillespie said. "Either Earhart was on land somewhere south of Howard Island and North of Samoa or there was a hoaxer in that region who had the capability of sending signals on Earhart's frequency and could mimic Earhart's voice and information about Earhart that only Earhart and her closest associates ... [More]
Comment icon #11 Posted by MID 13 years ago
A $500,000 expedition! Wow. Are they trying to discover Atlantis? It's privately funded. And it's no guarantee...but I'm all for it. Finding Amelia and understanding what happened to her would be valuable, personally.
Comment icon #12 Posted by jimmylee 13 years ago
Not sure what sort of food would be available on the island, and I sure wouldn't want to leave family and friends behind, but I just looked at the mentioned island through the satellite view of Google Maps and it is a beautiful place!
Comment icon #13 Posted by ShadowSot 13 years ago
It'd be good to know for sure what happened to the lady. Even this far after the fact, she's still a pretty amazing gal.
Comment icon #14 Posted by conspiracybeliever 13 years ago
Comment icon #15 Posted by Myles 13 years ago
I know there are a lot of theories out there but I saw one years ago. I can't remember what show it was on. I think it was PBS. But they were saying at that time that she went down in, I think it was Germany, and they killed her and buried her right in the field where they shot her. And there was a lady that was claiming to have witnessed it Edit to say I just did a search on her flight so it apparently wasn't Germany. I don't remember where it was but the theory was that she was murdered. I think she managed to land near or on this island or crashed into the ocean.
Comment icon #16 Posted by conspiracybeliever 13 years ago
I think she managed to land near or on this island or crashed into the ocean. Well I hope they find out.
Comment icon #17 Posted by villageidiot3o 13 years ago
Meh...perhaps this expedition will find the truth or maybe the truth will elude us again...
Comment icon #18 Posted by jesspy 13 years ago
Everyone knows she was kidnapped by aliens and taken to the otherside of the galaxy and frozen in a cro-tube along with 37 others...she will be woken up in the future by Captain Janeway and the crew of Voyager... lol http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_37's LOL I was going to say she was on the lost island with jack and all.

Total Posts: 7,309,448    Topics: 300,716    Members: 197,950