Tuesday, August 16, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Palaeontology > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Palaeontology

Tyrannosaurus rex may have hunted in packs

May 22, 2011 | Comment icon 23 comments

Image Credit: CC 3.0 Krugerr
If you think having one Tyrannosaurus rex chasing you sounds bad, imagine a whole pack of them.
Scientists believe dinosaurs such as Tyrannosaurus rex were a lot more intelligent than previously thought and may have hunted in packs rather than being solitary animals. "Tyrannosaurids, I believe, were far more complex and more dangerous than we ever could have imagined," says Professor Philip Currie.
Tyrannosaurus rex and its relatives were more intelligent than previously thought and hunted in gangs which included young and older members, researchers have claimed. Scientists believe they have evidence that the top predator dinosaurs were highly intelligent pack animals, despite T-rex being popularly depicted as a dangerous but dim-witted loner.

Source: Daily Mail | Comments (23)

Comment icon #14 Posted by danielost 11 years ago
T-Rex was actually considered quite smart by dinosaur standards. The idea that they could have hunted in packs is interesting. It was probably assumed to be a loner because its sheer size lended to the idea that it just didn't need help to take down its meals. It's been thought for a while that the Rex operated in a family system (they hunted in a group of several juveniles and two adults, or just the Mom depending on which scientist you talk to). The idea that they hunted in larger groups is an interesting idea, and not such a stretch considering what we know about them. if it wanted to go af... [More]
Comment icon #15 Posted by Wookietim 11 years ago
You know, this is mildly interesting. I don't think that this is actually a new suggestion but think about the implications of a pack hunting dinosaur... First off, pack hunters have to have a basic social structure. Then they need a basic way of communicating with each other. And pack hunters also tend to be social animals when not hunting as well. Think about wolves. Wolves are actually pretty intelligent when you think about it - they do have to coordinate themselves pretty well to do what they do. So we are talking about Dinosaurs that might have been on the road to becoming at least as sm... [More]
Comment icon #16 Posted by danielost 11 years ago
Comment icon #17 Posted by Wookietim 11 years ago
your assuming that they werent smarter than wolves. They might have been... But I wonder how much further they would have progressed if they hadn't been shunted into a different evolutionary path. I wonder if the meteor hadn't happened if the Earth would be home to a super intelligent species of Dinosaur now... With a few million year head start on our species tech...
Comment icon #18 Posted by Drakester 11 years ago
do you mean the bird and the croc hunt together or the croc hunts with other crocs. if you mean the other the nile croc does the samething. They hunt cooperatively with their own kind XD I still have to see a croc and a bird hunting together (although... I think I did when I was a child and I watched one of those rather awful Land Before Time sequels). And you are right, the Nile croc has also been known to hunt cooperatively. I wonder if there are other crocodilian (and bird) species who do the same and we still don´t know about it. As for inter-species cooperative hunting, I read once that m... [More]
Comment icon #19 Posted by Device 11 years ago
T-Rex was actually considered quite smart by dinosaur standards. The idea that they could have hunted in packs is interesting. It was probably assumed to be a loner because its sheer size lended to the idea that it just didn't need help to take down its meals. It's been thought for a while that the Rex operated in a family system (they hunted in a group of several juveniles and two adults, or just the Mom depending on which scientist you talk to). The idea that they hunted in larger groups is an interesting idea, and not such a stretch considering what we know about them. Very interesting. You... [More]
Comment icon #20 Posted by danielost 11 years ago
They might have been... But I wonder how much further they would have progressed if they hadn't been shunted into a different evolutionary path. I wonder if the meteor hadn't happened if the Earth would be home to a super intelligent species of Dinosaur now... With a few million year head start on our species tech... the meteor was the final nail, not the only nail. they were already dieing off, o2 levels were dropping and dinos didn't have a diaphragm.
Comment icon #21 Posted by danielost 11 years ago
They hunt cooperatively with their own kind XD I still have to see a croc and a bird hunting together (although... I think I did when I was a child and I watched one of those rather awful Land Before Time sequels). And you are right, the Nile croc has also been known to hunt cooperatively. I wonder if there are other crocodilian (and bird) species who do the same and we still don´t know about it. As for inter-species cooperative hunting, I read once that moray eels and groupers sometimes team up to hunt... don´t remember where I read it tho. this has been a while, but on a doc. they showed a c... [More]
Comment icon #22 Posted by Drakester 11 years ago
this has been a while, but on a doc. they showed a coyote and a badger working together to get prairie dogs. Yeah, that is true.
Comment icon #23 Posted by Mark Turner 11 years ago
A big angry chicken. Nasty, nasty. Still would give a limb (no pun intended) to see one still alive and moving. Stupid epochs of time!

Total Posts: 7,314,035    Topics: 300,925    Members: 198,009