Monday, August 8, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Science & Technology > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Science & Technology

US man contracts plague after bitten by a cat

June 15, 2012 | Comment icon 45 comments

Image Credit: Werner100359
An Oregan man has contracted the infamous Black Death plague after being bitten by a cat.
The man became ill after being bitten by the cat while trying to rescue a mouse, shortly afterwards he started to show all the symptoms of the bubonic plague including swollen lymph nodes and bleeding from the nose and mouth. He is now in a critical condition in hospital.

The plague or 'Black Death' is one of the most infamous diseases in history, in the 14th century it was so widespread that it wiped out over 60 percent of the population of Europe. Fortunately modern medicine can now treat the illness with antibiotics however there are still a few reported cases with up to 3,000 catching the plague every year.
On average, 10 to 20 people are diagnosed with the disease each year in the US however there have only been four fatalities since 1934. Worldwide rates are reported at 1,000 to 3,000 cases a year.

Source: Telegraph | Comments (45)

Comment icon #36 Posted by booNyzarC 10 years ago
theres aot of evedence to sugest bubonic plage is NOT black death why do people keep suggesting it is ?? we DONT know what the black death was do ur homework people I must admit that this is the first that I've heard of this being questioned. I also admit that I'm not extremely informed in certain historical matters, so I have nothing to counter your statement. I don't suppose you could link all of us to this abundance of evidence that you're referring to?
Comment icon #37 Posted by Paranomali 10 years ago
Makes me dislike cats even more...
Comment icon #38 Posted by libstaK 10 years ago
From the article: "Worldwide rates are reported at 1,000 to 3,000 cases a year". The plague hasn't gone anywhere - it's just "lurking" around waiting for the unsuspecting to stumble. I wonder what the opportunity is for it to spread in "plague" proportions amongst the "vermin" population of the world. AND NO folks, cats are NOT vermin.
Comment icon #39 Posted by Coffey 10 years ago
theres aot of evedence to sugest bubonic plage is NOT black death why do people keep suggesting it is ?? we DONT know what the black death was do ur homework people From Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Death Although there were several competing theories as to the etiology of the Black Death, it has been conclusively proven via analysis of ancient DNA from plague victims in northern and southern Europe that the pathogen responsible is the Yersinia pestis bacterium So yes it was the Bubonic plague. There might be conspiracy theories but the sceintific data says it was the Bubonic p... [More]
Comment icon #40 Posted by farandaway 10 years ago
Wow. I didn't even know that the bubonic plague was still around. Interesting but unsettling. I think that there are probably a lot of old diseases still around, but we live different lifestyles now, making us not quite as susceptible as we used to be to the various pestilences that plagued our ancestors. But in many parts of the world where people are not as clean or well fed, it probably wouldn't take much for something insidious to get started and mutate into something that could wipe us all out (cue X-files music here). Knowing cats as I do...maybe Mr. Whiskers planned the whole thing, as ... [More]
Comment icon #41 Posted by Hybrid89 10 years ago
****g cats :-/
Comment icon #42 Posted by Simbi Laveau 10 years ago
It's true. The bacteria in a cats mouth can kill us,via septicemia. I would know,I've been in the hospital for it once,treated for it 2 other times. It was rats and mice that carried the plague .So either the cat had gotten it on its teeth,or the mouse bit the man. Either way,plague has not been seen in this country ,in over a century .I'm surprised the cdc isn't all over this,and testing rodents in the area this occurred.
Comment icon #43 Posted by Simbi Laveau 10 years ago
Wow. I didn't even know that the bubonic plague was still around. Interesting but unsettling. They are developing a vaccine for the plague,in Europe. When I read about it,which was maybe 2-3 years ago....I said whhhhyyyyy do we need this ? As the plague has not been seen in over 100 years,in the USA or Europe. Makes ya wonder .
Comment icon #44 Posted by and then 10 years ago
Cats aren't my favorite critters but fair is fair - you hadn't ought to be trying to steal a mouse that was earned!
Comment icon #45 Posted by ealdwita 10 years ago
I must admit that this is the first that I've heard of this being questioned. I also admit that I'm not extremely informed in certain historical matters, so I have nothing to counter your statement. I don't suppose you could link all of us to this abundance of evidence that you're referring to? I know this is going back a few days Boo, but I've only just picked up on it. There's a school of thought that maintains that the so-called Black Death was in fact the Pneumonic rather than the Bubonic version. Also, some medical historians of my acquaintance have postulated that it was a mutated strain... [More]

Total Posts: 7,309,425    Topics: 300,713    Members: 197,950