We are now on Patreon! Click here to learn more about how you can help support the site.

Saturday, December 4, 2021
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Cryptozoology > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )
Cryptozoology

Promising DNA tests conducted on 'Yeti' hairs

November 1, 2012 | Comment icon 51 comments

Image Credit: Eric Shipton
The results of multiple DNA tests allegedly indicate that the hairs are from an unknown primate species.
The hair samples were retrieved inside a cave by Dr Igor Birtsev during an expedition in Siberia, a region well known for its sightings of the elusive hominid. The tests were conducted at several universities and appeared to indicate that the hairs "came from a human-like creature which is not a Homosapien yet is more closely related to man than a monkey."

"We had ten samples of hair to study, and have concluded that they belong to mammal, but not a human, and not the animals known to the area where they were found, like a bear, or wolf, or goat, or any other animal," said Professor Valentin Sapunov. "The tests were performed by laboratory of electronic microscopy and laboratory of molecular genealogical classification."
DNA tests on hair found supposedly found in a Siberian may actually prove the existence of the Abominable Snowman.

Source: News.com.au | Comments (51)

Unexplained Mysteries is now on Patreon!

Click here to learn more about how you can help support the site and gain access to a range of perks including a subscriber badge, ad-free browsing, an exclusive weekly newsletter, sneak peaks of upcoming features and more.
23 / 25
We are 92% of the way to our second Patreon subscriber target - thank you!
Comment icon #42 Posted by Sakari 9 years ago
Until there is a body (dead or alive) it will be disputed and skeptics will cry, hoax! A little bit of hair and done videos will never be satisfactory. As for me, I'm enjoying the mystery. I love seeing the new "evidence" that comes up and I love hearing what the debunkers have to say. The balance keeps the issue interesting! Thanks for posting! Can I ask, after reading NightWalkers replies and links ( a few back ) do you see any reason why this should not be " cried " hoax?
Comment icon #43 Posted by Lava_Lady 9 years ago
Can I ask, after reading NightWalkers replies and links ( a few back ) do you see any reason why this should not be " cried " hoax? I no reason why it shouldn't be called hoax or anything otherwise. I simply enjoy reading both sides. I find it entertaining. Is that ok?
Comment icon #44 Posted by Night Walker 9 years ago
'They have an acute sense of danger': Yeti expert defends lack of sasquatch sightings as row erupts over his claims that 200 live in Siberia ... Far from finding the Abonimable Snowman, his scientific claims on the subject amount to abominable lies, Oleg Pugachev, director of the Zoological Institute of Russian Academy of Science, told state-run newspaper Rossiyskaya Gazeta. This institute was one of three where Professor Sapunov claimed the 'Yeti hair' - found a year ago - was tested. Mr Pugachev said: 'Let me make it clear - Sapunov is blatantly lying. 'He came with some bits of hair to the ... [More]
Comment icon #45 Posted by MisstreeDove 9 years ago
Stop arguing you big babies and accept that Big Foot can exist, just like Bed Bugs, I've never seen a bed bug, but yet I know they exist. Why? because people say so. Silly reason right? Maybe, maybe not. Open your eyes, as my old Japanese boss used to say..... "OPEN EYE" ! I do not understand this post. First off, "you big babies"? Why must you resort to insults and names? Why did you deem it necessary? How does not believing in Bigfoot make us babies? Instead of using names, use more mature ways to explain your opinion to others. Thanks.
Comment icon #46 Posted by Night Walker 9 years ago
More insight on Sapunov from 2006: My student from the North Urals got me a photo of Bigfoot. Reserve Jugyd-Va, nearest big city Inta. Photo was made by electronic camera at the end of September 2006. Author anonymous, a hunter having no interest in BF (Bigfoot), made a landscape photo. He got strange figure. Legends and tales on BF (Bigfoot) in this region exist. Me and my student in Inna Leontyeva are sure, that nobody has much interest except to joke and falsification, nobody got glory or money by this photo. As for me, figure is more close to Homo erectus or Australopitecus. [source]... [More]
Comment icon #47 Posted by ~Di 9 years ago
If they do exist, I applaud them for being able to elude humans so well.
Comment icon #48 Posted by Sakari 9 years ago
I no reason why it shouldn't be called hoax or anything otherwise. I simply enjoy reading both sides. I find it entertaining. Is that ok? Yes, is it ok that I asked a question?
Comment icon #49 Posted by orangepeaceful79 9 years ago
Comment icon #50 Posted by keninsc 9 years ago
Is a troll! Don't feed it.
Comment icon #51 Posted by DieChecker 9 years ago
I'm going to wait and see if any thing gets published. This being done in Russia... it just might. I'd like to see the report on where the DNA testing was done and who did it. Then those places/individuals could be asked to coroberate. And if they did not, then we know this Russian "scientist" is full of BS.