Sunday, December 15, 2019

Is Friday the 13th genuinely unlucky ?

Posted on Friday, 13 March, 2015 | Comment icon 17 comments

Black cats are often said to be unlucky. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Joergbieszczak
Despite being a day synonymous with bad luck, Friday the 13th seems to be safer than most other days.
It's a date commonly associated with superstition and disaster, yet despite its negative reputation there are actually far fewer accidents on Friday the 13th than on most other days.

This peculiar statistic comes courtesy of insurance data which suggests a tendency for people to be more careful on this particular date in fear of something happening, an ironic twist that actually makes Friday 13th one of the safest days of the year.
Both at home and on the roads accidents tend to happen less often and claims to insurance companies tend to cost considerably less. By contrast however this statistic is entirely reversed on the day before Friday 13th when accidents tend to happen more frequently.

It might be worth not walking under any ladders though, just to be safe.

Source: Telegraph | Comments (17)

Tags: Friday the 13th

Comment icon #8 Posted by Red Moon on 14 March, 2015, 0:48
Comment icon #9 Posted by Whisperer on 14 March, 2015, 9:12
Reminded of the film "Friday the 13th" and the execution date of all the Knights Templars. Yeah, thats how I learnt about the origins of Fri 13th, Templar betrayal by the Church...Talk about being stabbed in the back, nasty story.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Yes_Man on 14 March, 2015, 14:44
there was a bad crash near where i live, a car hit a parked car and flipped over
Comment icon #11 Posted by susieice on 14 March, 2015, 15:53
Overall, was not a bad day.
Comment icon #12 Posted by LostSouls7 on 14 March, 2015, 19:48
Thank you very much! I actually saw Jason last night. I said hello we got drunk the end.
Comment icon #13 Posted by Ashotep on 14 March, 2015, 23:55
If you go to your profile (in upper right hand corner) and click the drop down menu go to "My Settings". From there you will see functions to the left side of the page. Click on "My signature" and you should be able to put it back up from there See? No bad luck here It allows me to add a signature there but not turn it on or off.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Hawkin on 15 March, 2015, 2:43
I called in sick and couldn't make it to work. Think I had the flu. At least I got to take it easy the rest of the day. The next 13th of Friday will be November.
Comment icon #15 Posted by aria7 on 15 March, 2015, 9:34
Generally i think it would be lucky for some and unlucky for others just like any other day !!
Comment icon #16 Posted by LarsSonicFan on 16 March, 2015, 12:22
My cat is black, and I never had bad luck, I even found 10 dollar on the street once.
Comment icon #17 Posted by Harry_Dresden on 6 April, 2015, 8:00
The last Friday the 13th was one of the best days of the year so far for me... I was expecting the worse and got the best.

Thylacine hunter to spend two years in the bush
12-14-2019
Neil Waters is preparing to spend two years living in the Australian bush in an effort to capture a live thylacine.
Human lifespan is only 38 years, study claims
12-14-2019
A new method for determining lifespans from DNA has offered up a perplexing figure for our 'natural' lifespan.
Fish farmers rescue eagle from giant octopus
12-14-2019
The struggling animals were recently encountered off the northwest tip of Canada's Vancouver Island.
Giant telescope to join the search for alien life
12-13-2019
The world's largest filled-aperture radio telescope is about to start operating after several years of testing.
My reptilian encounter
11-24-2019 | Ireland and Australia

The day I found out I am immortal
11-24-2019 | Hialeah

Recent activity in my home
11-24-2019 | Kansas City, MO USA

The houndsman
10-26-2019 | Michigan, USA

Birthday balloon
10-26-2019 | Usa

Devil man in a suit
10-26-2019 | Ohio

I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia