Sunday, April 22, 2018

Only known wild jaguar in US caught on film

Posted on Thursday, 4 February, 2016 | Comment icon 41 comments

The name El Jefe means 'The Boss' in Spanish. Image Credit: YouTube / Conservation CATalyst
The solitary feline, who has been nicknamed El Jefe, was picked up on camera in the Santa Rica Mountains.
Once a common sight across the Southwestern United States, jaguars were driven to the point of extinction back in the 1960s and have now all but disappeared from the wilds of America.

Only around four of five individuals have been spotted in the last 20 years, but now a sole survivor by the name of El Jefe has made a rare appearance on recently recorded trail camera footage.

The majestic animal, which is thought to have been living in mountains north of the Mexican border for over three years, is the only known wild jaguar in the entire United States.

Source: Sky News | Comments (41)

Tags: Jaguar, Cat

Comment icon #32 Posted by Sakari on 7 February, 2016, 3:48
Re read the article. This isnt an occasion to be sad but one to celebrate. The Jaguar is making a comeback! I just hope they do not do what they are doing to Wolves, if it does make a come back. People suck !
Comment icon #33 Posted by Hawkin on 7 February, 2016, 3:49
Good find. I would be glad if the Bigfoot would be captured. The Jaguar was known roaming in Arizona by biologist for some years but just now went public. IF a Bigfoot was confirmed to exist (if it doesn't already) I bet it would be kept discreet for a long time to protect it from Poachers. It might not have been a good idea to confirm a Jaguar is roaming Arizona.
Comment icon #34 Posted by Sakari on 7 February, 2016, 3:53
I don't know how great of an idea it is to help another predator make a comeback. In most places, there just isn't enough game to supply them. Boo hooooo.......Just means less Deer and Elk tags for us people to go kill, leaving enough for them to eat also. And, that is after a long period, as Predators get the weak, injured, and sick first............Please watch below video about reintroduction, and how it helped the entire eco-system.
Comment icon #35 Posted by a vampire wears my boxers on 8 February, 2016, 2:33
How many of them are Drop Bears? There's probably one on each of those major branches... about 20 in that picture alone!! Seriously, my friend's wife came over the other day and her sister moved to Australia, and she SERIOUSLY says Drop Bears are REAL. I tried correcting her that it is a myth told about koalas to scare tourists, and she told me "NO! They aren't koalas, they are bigger and eat meat, not leaves!". I told her to look it up online, but she refused, stating her sister had told her it was true and she fully believed it. She's also one step away from a Young Earth - Flat Earth - Crea... [More]
Comment icon #36 Posted by qxcontinuum on 8 February, 2016, 5:19
Comment icon #37 Posted by psyche101 on 8 February, 2016, 5:37
well i've literally heard that boredom kills faster than everything in Ausies land. Yeah, but let's face it, everything you post is refuted. Logan Golf Course - Bull Sharks. Yeah, BULL sharks on a golf course. Boredom? Don't make me laugh, I can tell that you have NEVER been here, we don't get time to get bored.
Comment icon #38 Posted by psyche101 on 8 February, 2016, 5:38
The Jaguar was known roaming in Arizona by biologist for some years but just now went public. IF a Bigfoot was confirmed to exist (if it doesn't already) I bet it would be kept discreet for a long time to protect it from Poachers. It might not have been a good idea to confirm a Jaguar is roaming Arizona. Bigfoot's sole diet is Jaguar, that is why he is dying out didn't you know. Hey, if you can make up a beast........
Comment icon #39 Posted by psyche101 on 8 February, 2016, 5:41
I LOVE Vegemite! I haven't had it in years. I'll see if I can find it again. Nectar of the God's it is. AND The world's only edible axle grease!! Who wouldn't love that! I am with you, I love the stuff Fresh toast with butter and Vegemite melting into it - does it get better?
Comment icon #40 Posted by psyche101 on 8 February, 2016, 5:55
How many of them are Drop Bears? There's probably one on each of those major branches... about 20 in that picture alone!! 1275 species, I think they messed up the quote........ Seriously, my friend's wife came over the other day and her sister moved to Australia, and she SERIOUSLY says Drop Bears are REAL. I tried correcting her that it is a myth told about koalas to scare tourists, and she told me "NO! They aren't koalas, they are bigger and eat meat, not leaves!". I told her to look it up online, but she refused, stating her sister had told her it was true and she fully believed it. She's al... [More]
Comment icon #41 Posted by Ghostdancer on 11 February, 2016, 12:12
In the Santa Ritas, I do a lot of hiking there, at Madera Canyon.

Work on lunar space station to begin in 2019
4-21-2018
NASA has revealed that its ambitious Lunar Orbital Platform-Gateway will launch as early as 2022.
Cows could end up as world's largest mammals
4-21-2018
Scientists have warned that cows could eventually become the largest remaining mammals on Earth.
New species of 'exploding ant' discovered
4-20-2018
Capable of taking drastic action to protect their colonies, these ants have a rather unusual defense mechanism.
Missing Nazi submarine mystery finally solved
4-20-2018
The wreckage of one of Germany's most advanced U-boats has been discovered off the coast of Denmark.
Revealing the secrets of the deep ocean
Posted 4-19-2018 | 0 comments
Scientist Mandy Joye has dedicated her life to exploring the depths of the world's oceans.

Giant 3D-printed man
Posted 4-15-2018 | 2 comments
British YouTuber James Bruton has created a giant 3D-printed sculpture of himself.

The world's roundest object
Posted 4-12-2018 | 2 comments
A look at how the roundest object can help us to define the humble kilogram.

Do fish talk to each other ?
Posted 4-10-2018 | 11 comments
Fish might seem silent, but in actual fact they make a wide range of different sounds.

The great Jaffa Cake debate
Posted 4-8-2018 | 4 comments
Revisiting the age-old question - is the humble Jaffa Cake a cake or a biscuit ?

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA