Thursday, February 22, 2018

Massive snakeskin supports 'Wessie' rumors

Posted on Wednesday, 24 August, 2016 | Comment icon 14 comments
A huge snakeskin measuring 12ft in length has been found near Riverbank Park in the US state of Maine.
Discovered by a member of the public at around 3pm on Saturday, the skin has since attracted the attention of local police officers who have been working to photograph and document it.

The find has been linked to reports of a particularly large snake nicknamed "Wessie" that has been sighted several times in the area. While it isn't clear whether the skin belongs to that particular snake, if it does then it would corroborate claims that the creature is over 12ft long.

"Westbrook Police Officers responded, photographed, collected, and tagged the skin which will be examined in attempts to determine what type of snake shed it and what risks this type of snake poses to public safety," the department wrote on its Facebook page.

According to cryptozoologist Bill Brock however the snakeskin discovery may be a bit suspect.

"That thing was laid out in a way that kind of suggests that someone just literally laid it there, and I’m pretty sure that’s how the snakeskin got there, but I do think Wessie is real, and I do think Wessie is out at the Riverbank Park somewhere," he said.

Whether officers will be able to get to the bottom of the mystery however remains to be seen.

Source: Telegraph | Comments (14)

Tags: Wessie, Snake, Maine

Comment icon #5 Posted by paperdyer on 24 August, 2016, 15:45
Regardless whether it's 10 ft or 12 ft, I want no part of it!
Comment icon #6 Posted by BeastieRunner on 24 August, 2016, 21:50
That's a big snake ... I hope they find it!
Comment icon #7 Posted by stereologist on 25 August, 2016, 0:00
I find snakes in my house every fall.  Sometimes it is the live snake. Sometimes it is just a snake skin. The snake skins can be any place imaginable.  I do not mind the snakes. They are temporary visitors that are trying to keep what would like to permanent visitors out of my house. I do find it interesting that the skin was fairly linear. Rat snakes and brown racers do not do that where I live. But we are not dealing with that species since the skin is much longer than what those snakes could grow to. I doubt the snake will be located. What we d know from the Everglades is that snake should ... [More]
Comment icon #8 Posted by Thorvir Hrothgaard on 25 August, 2016, 2:22
No snakes inside, but I make sure that if I find any on my property I treat them well and not disturb them--except to move them out of the yard so I don't hit them with the mower  They kill vermin, and as far as I'm concerned, they are welcome here as long for as long as I am here.
Comment icon #9 Posted by stereologist on 25 August, 2016, 12:50
I was thinking about the snake skin being laid out straight. I'll bet that was done to measure its length. A snake usually does some rubbing to remove the old skin.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Thorvir Hrothgaard on 25 August, 2016, 15:14
I have seen a couple fairly straight ones around here, but mostly they're all bunched up. I've never seen a 10ft snakeskin....yikes.  I have seen at least 6ft of black snake slithering off into the grass near the barn....please note that I didn't see it's head so it was at least six feet long, by my crude estimates.
Comment icon #11 Posted by Varelse on 25 August, 2016, 22:47
Sounds like a hoax we did back in college - a guy had a 7 ft python with about 5 feet of skin but we left it where it was an obvious plant-in a classroom. Still scared some people.
Comment icon #12 Posted by some new guy on 31 August, 2016, 12:19
the snakeskin has been identified as an anaconda https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/08/30/snake-skin-found-maine-belongs-anaconda/qf9d3p1L6SZFNt3qS7tI2L/story.html BEST - Ron
Comment icon #13 Posted by DieChecker on 2 September, 2016, 12:18
I read about this. The skin was confirmed to be from an anaconda. The best guess so far is someone planted it there. However they (the local government) also said that experts say that if the snake is really there, it will die long before winter, as the weather dips down into the 60s and 50s, it will get sluggish and then die.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Silver_Lyre on 4 September, 2016, 5:27
...i wonder if any family pets have gone missing in the area.

CT scans reveal baby thylacines for first time
2-22-2018
Scientists have used modern scanning techniques to discover what thylacine infants really looked like.
Transplant patient ends up with two hearts
2-22-2018
A man in India unexpectedly underwent a rare operation that has left him with two working, beating hearts.
NASA reveals Phoenix lander's dusty grave
2-22-2018
A new image of the long-dead Phoenix lander on Mars has shown that it has become coated in a layer of dust.
How did the Egyptians align the Great Pyramid?
2-21-2018
Archaeologist and engineer Glen Dash has worked out how such a precise alignment was achieved.
The real story of Galileo
Posted 2-20-2018 | 0 comments
Exactly why was legendary astronomer Galileo Galilei convicted of heresy ?

Big Bang vs Big Bounce
Posted 2-16-2018 | 0 comments
Was there another universe here before our own universe came in to existence ?

The Leaning Tower of Lire
Posted 2-12-2018 | 0 comments
Vsauce returns with a thought-provoking video about the problem of stacking blocks.

How did the dinosaurs die ?
Posted 2-8-2018 | 1 comment
A look at the devastating events that preceded the extinction of the dinosaurs.

World's longest bicycle
Posted 2-5-2018 | 2 comments
This ridiculous bicycle measures 41.42 meters in length and took nine months to put together.

Black hole in Bismarck
2-14-2018 | Mandan

Trapped and chased
2-9-2018 | Saskatchewan canada

Someone calling my name
2-9-2018 | Budd Lake NJ

Strange feeling
1-18-2018 | Different places

Unexplained voices
1-18-2018 | United States

First college apartment
12-31-2017 | Daytona Beach, FL

The night my niece was murdered
12-19-2017 | Delhi, Louisiana