Wednesday, August 4, 2021
  Bizarre

'Fish rain' falls over school in California

Posted on Saturday, 20 May, 2017 | Comment icon 8 comments

The fish appeared to have fallen from the sky. Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 Thomas Leuthard
Pupils and staff at Stanford Avenue Elementary were left perplexed by a bout of very strange weather.
The peculiar deluge, which occurred on Tuesday at around noon, was discovered after pupils emerged from the school to find dozens of small fish lying all over the playground.

"We came out here and all the sudden the kids start yelling really loud, 'look at this'," said campus supervisor Liz Barber-Gabriel. "The kids were so excited, we wanted to figure out where they came from. We couldn't - they were in the playground, in the rubber, everywhere."

"They were small, and same color, and it looked like about 60 minimum, everywhere."

The possibility of a prank was discounted after more of the fish were found up on the rooftops.

While it remains unclear exactly how the fish ended up being deposited on the school, it is possible that a water spout sucked them up from the sea and carried them inland.

According to meteorologist Kris Kuyper however, no such weather event had occurred that day.

Source: AOL News | Comments (8)

Tags: Fish Rain

Comment icon #1 Posted by freetoroam on 20 May, 2017, 19:00
I have read about this before  and tornadoes do happen around those parts:    Yes. Although rare, there are numerous instances of fish falling down from the skies. Of course, the fish do not really "rain" in the sense of condensing out of water vapor. The fish that fall from the sky are just fish that used to be in the sea. So what puts the fish up in the sky in the first place? Although few detailed scientific observations have been performed on this phenomenon, the common consensus is that tornadoes are the culprit. http://sciencequestionswithsurprisinganswers.org/2013/04/30/can-it-rain-fish... [More]
Comment icon #2 Posted by strunk64 on 20 May, 2017, 23:15
I saw it rain frogs when I was little. Well, mostly tadpoles, but some had started to grow legs. They were small. It was in Virginia and it was a hell of a thunderstorm. I guess the weather does strange things sometimes. (edit) We were driving in the mountains when it happened. They were plopping on the windshield.
Comment icon #3 Posted by back to earth on 21 May, 2017, 1:29
Yet I cant even seem to catch ONE  for my dinner !
Comment icon #4 Posted by Hammerclaw on 22 May, 2017, 4:15
There's a Fortean Society website dedicated to these sorts of anomalies.
Comment icon #5 Posted by back to earth on 22 May, 2017, 5:55
Like this one in Sydney a little while ago ...... welcome to the famous  Bondi Beach , where the golden sands .....   what the hell !      Surf nerf .
Comment icon #6 Posted by Goodf3llow on 24 May, 2017, 0:04
It happens up there from time to time..    " In addition to rocks falling from Chico's skies, on Sept 2, 1878, the New York Times said the Chico Record had reported that a great number of small fishes fell from a cloudless sky, covering a store and several acres." -New York Times
Comment icon #7 Posted by Future ghost on 24 May, 2017, 0:33
I'm surprised nobody saw this happening. Does the school not have any windows?
Comment icon #8 Posted by White Unicorn on 25 May, 2017, 15:08
I was about 6 when I was playing the rain. I saw lots of little toads and some tadpoles come down and hit the grass from what looked like a cloud closer to the ground. I ran in to tell my dad, because I never heard about things like that. Is that where raining cats and dogs came from? Wow, I thought it might be literally true with dogs and cats!  My father came out and explained it as a whirlwind going on a nearby swamp and dropping them here. He told me tornados did it with large objects but there were also smaller whirlwinds that could do it in times of stormy weather. He said, no he never h... [More]

New study links dopamine to consciousness
8-4-2021
New research has revealed how the 'pleasure chemical' dopamine plays a key role in human consciousness.
Machu Picchu could be older than thought
8-4-2021
The world-famous Incan citadel, which sits high atop the Andes in Peru, is now thought to be decades older.
'Complex organic matter' found on asteroids
8-3-2021
Scientists have identified two unusual asteroids between Mars and Jupiter that shouldn't actually be there.
Ghost hunter injured after falling through roof
8-3-2021
An ill-fated paranormal investigation at a notorious haunted hotspot saw one enthusiast end up in hospital.
Mystery 'troll' captured on camera
4-24-2021 | Marsta, Sweden

My Grandfather's NDE
4-24-2021 | Oakland, California

The voice of something not human
11-17-2020 | Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles

Shadow figure demon ?
11-14-2020 | USA

Ghost following me
9-18-2020 | Iowa

Mysterious glowing cube
8-23-2020 | Alabama

Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball