Wednesday, May 23, 2018

First 'luxury space hotel' to launch in 2021

Posted on Friday, 6 April, 2018 | Comment icon 31 comments

The station will offer incredible views... for a price. Image Credit: Orion Span
Space tourism startup Orion Span is offering guests the opportunity to spend 12 days orbiting the planet.
The company, which is based in Texas, is certainly not short on ambition given that it aims to build the facility itself with the help of engineers who have previously worked on the International Space Station.

Known as Aurora Station, the 'hotel' will measure 43.5ft long by 14.1ft wide. It will orbit around 200 miles above the Earth and will offer accommodation for four guests and two crew members.

Despite being billed as 'affordable', a 12-day stay aboard the station will set you back $9.5 million.

"We are launching the first-ever affordable luxury space hotel," said Orion Span founder Frank Bunger.

"There's been innovation around the architecture to make it more modular and more simple to use and have more automation, so we don't have to have EVAs [extravehicular activities] or spacewalks."

"The goal when we started the company was to create that innovation to make simplicity possible, and by making simplicity possible, we drive a tremendous amount of cost out of it."

Over time, the firm plans to expand the space hotel with a wider range of modules.

"Our long-term vision is to sell actual space in those new modules," said Bunger. "We're calling that a space condo. So, either for living or subleasing, that's the future vision here - to create a long-term, sustainable human habitation in LEO [low Earth orbit]."

Source: Space.com | Comments (31)

Tags: Space Hotel, Aurora Station

Comment icon #22 Posted by DieChecker on 7 April, 2018, 11:08
Maybe in 2021 dollars that's 10,000 modern 2018 dollars? I think if I'd have to have hundreds of millions of dollars doing nothing in order to want to take a vacation like this. I think I'll have to wait for the Motel 8 version to come out.
Comment icon #23 Posted by DieChecker on 7 April, 2018, 11:09
I wonder how much just a trip up and back down on the Starliner would cost?
Comment icon #24 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 7 April, 2018, 11:24
A trip on board a Soyuz will currently set you back around $60million, the Starliner should be considerably less than that. As launch costs are the major cost in spacflight a "straight up and down" flight would not reduce the costs dramatically compared to a stay on a space station. That brings me to another issue I have with Orion Span, their prices. No one (not even SpaceX on a good day) is going to reduce launch costs by that much by 2021/22.
Comment icon #25 Posted by DieChecker on 7 April, 2018, 11:27
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CST-100_Starliner Looks like not a lot of room for passengers. Not going to take the wife, the kids,grandma and grandpa, all on this vacation.
Comment icon #26 Posted by Derek Willis on 7 April, 2018, 15:28
You're right, it is ridiculous making an assessment of anything based purely on a promotional image. I did a bit of internet digging. I wonder if the space industry is becoming like the social media and app industries were a few years back.You come up with an idea, make a pitch, get some publicity, and then hope investors will get on board. They may pull it off, and I wish them well. Unfortunately, I doubt I will ever have the $10 million to take a ride to their hotel. In any case, if I ever do find $10 million sitting in my bank account, I have already promised to give it to Merc so he can t... [More]
Comment icon #27 Posted by seanjo on 7 April, 2018, 17:51
At the door...duuuuurh
Comment icon #28 Posted by seanjo on 7 April, 2018, 18:03
That's part of the attraction!
Comment icon #29 Posted by Jon the frog on 13 April, 2018, 12:10
If you have money to go in space, you just need space for you and your mistress... well you know...
Comment icon #30 Posted by MissJatti on 18 April, 2018, 9:37
I hope this hotel is not catered only for the super rich,everyone in the world has the right to enjoy this space hotel.
Comment icon #31 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 18 April, 2018, 10:06
What absolute nonsense. Holidaying in ANY hotel is not a human right. You, me or anyone else has no more right to stay in this hotel than we do the Ritz. If you had taken the time to read the original story you would have seen that a 12 day stay would cost you $9.5 million. Space travel is expensive.

Giant predatory worms have invaded France
5-22-2018
Scientists have warned that huge worms up to 40cm long have been silently invading French gardens.
$17B 'holy grail of shipwrecks' discovered
5-22-2018
The long-lost 300-year-old Spanish galleon was found with the help of an autonomous underwater vehicle.
Man 'being followed by a pig' calls the police
5-22-2018
Police in Ohio were shocked to discover that a call about a pig following a man home was actually genuine.
It's official - Hitler really did die in 1945
5-21-2018
A recent analysis of Hitler's teeth has confirmed once and for all that he did not fake his own death.
Can an artificial intelligence really think ?
Posted 5-22-2018 | 8 comments
AI computer systems may be intelligent, but can they ever be truly self-aware ?

Where are all the B batteries ?
Posted 5-20-2018 | 2 comments
Batteries such as AA and AAA are common, but where are all the other letters ?

Meerkats caught in a dust storm
Posted 5-15-2018 | 1 comment
This group of meerkats in the Kalahari desert must split up to hide and survive the storm.

10 times Michio Kaku blew our minds
Posted 5-12-2018 | 2 comments
A look at some of theoretical physicist Michio Kaku's most mind-bending arguments.

Density ball
Posted 5-9-2018 | 0 comments
Michael takes a look at a ball with some rather unusual properties.

Mystery bristle brush
5-9-2018 | Whittier, U.S.A.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA