Saturday, August 13, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Space & Astronomy > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Space & Astronomy

First 'luxury space hotel' to launch in 2021

April 6, 2018 | Comment icon 27 comments

The station will offer incredible views... for a price. Image Credit: Orion Span
Space tourism startup Orion Span is offering guests the opportunity to spend 12 days orbiting the planet.
The company, which is based in Texas, is certainly not short on ambition given that it aims to build the facility itself with the help of engineers who have previously worked on the International Space Station.

Known as Aurora Station, the 'hotel' will measure 43.5ft long by 14.1ft wide. It will orbit around 200 miles above the Earth and will offer accommodation for four guests and two crew members.

Despite being billed as 'affordable', a 12-day stay aboard the station will set you back $9.5 million.

"We are launching the first-ever affordable luxury space hotel," said Orion Span founder Frank Bunger.
"There's been innovation around the architecture to make it more modular and more simple to use and have more automation, so we don't have to have EVAs [extravehicular activities] or spacewalks."

"The goal when we started the company was to create that innovation to make simplicity possible, and by making simplicity possible, we drive a tremendous amount of cost out of it."

Over time, the firm plans to expand the space hotel with a wider range of modules.

"Our long-term vision is to sell actual space in those new modules," said Bunger. "We're calling that a space condo. So, either for living or subleasing, that's the future vision here - to create a long-term, sustainable human habitation in LEO [low Earth orbit]."

Source: Space.com | Comments (27)

Comment icon #18 Posted by Derek Willis 4 years ago
As far as I can see, Orion Span consists of nothing other than a promotional image. It seems not to be a physical company - just a series of registration documents lodged in Delaware, and a website. When you link to investors, it says: "Prospective investors are invited to register their interest". The company is, however, asking for $80,000 deposits for trips to their - so far, virtual - space hotel. At least Robert Bigalow has spent a ton of money on his hotels, so whether they come to fruition or not, he has put real money where his mouth is.
Comment icon #19 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf 4 years ago
You make a fair point, and I agree with much of your assessment of Orion Span, but you certainly did not make that assessment based purely on a promotional image, Even if Orion are capable of pulling this off their time frame seems ridiculously optimistic.They have not tested the hardware, they have no launch contract for either the station or the tourists. Bigelow has tested 3 of their expandable modules in space, so they know that the hardware is likely to work.They have a contract with Boeing to use the CST-100 Starliner to ferry people into space. Orion Span may actually make this work, af... [More]
Comment icon #20 Posted by DieChecker 4 years ago
Maybe in 2021 dollars that's 10,000 modern 2018 dollars?  I think if I'd have to have hundreds of millions of dollars doing nothing in order to want to take a vacation like this. I think I'll have to wait for the Motel 8 version to come out.
Comment icon #21 Posted by DieChecker 4 years ago
I wonder how much just a trip up and back down on the Starliner would cost?
Comment icon #22 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf 4 years ago
A trip on board a Soyuz will currently set you back around $60million, the Starliner should be considerably less than that. As launch costs are the major cost in spacflight a "straight up and down" flight would not reduce the costs dramatically compared to a stay on a space station. That brings me to another issue I have with Orion Span, their prices. No one (not even SpaceX on a good day) is going to reduce launch costs by that much by 2021/22.
Comment icon #23 Posted by DieChecker 4 years ago
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CST-100_Starliner Looks like not a lot of room for passengers. Not going to take the wife, the kids, grandma and grandpa, all on this vacation.
Comment icon #24 Posted by Derek Willis 4 years ago
You're right, it is ridiculous making an assessment of anything based purely on a promotional image. I did a bit of internet digging. I wonder if the space industry is becoming like the social media and app industries were a few years back. You come up with an idea, make a pitch, get some publicity, and then hope investors will get on board. They may pull it off, and I wish them well. Unfortunately, I doubt I will ever have the $10 million to take a ride to their hotel. In any case, if I ever do find $10 million sitting in my bank account, I have already promised to give it to Merc so he can t... [More]
Comment icon #25 Posted by Jon the frog 4 years ago
If you have money to go in space, you just need space for you and your mistress...  well you know...
Comment icon #26 Posted by MissJatti 4 years ago
I hope this hotel is not catered only for the super rich, everyone in the world has the right to enjoy this space hotel.
Comment icon #27 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf 4 years ago
What absolute nonsense. Holidaying in ANY hotel is not a human right. You, me or anyone else has no more right to stay in this hotel than we do the Ritz. If you had taken the time to read the original story you would have seen that a 12 day stay would cost you $9.5 million. Space travel is expensive.

Total Posts: 7,312,947    Topics: 300,878    Members: 197,995