Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Mystery shoplifter issues apology 40 years on

Posted on Sunday, 15 July, 2018 | Comment icon 11 comments

The theft must have weighed heavily on the man's conscience. Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 Mohammed Moosa
An anonymous shoplifter has written a letter to apologize for stealing chocolate from a shop four decades ago.
The man sent the letter - along with a crisp five-pound note to cover the cost of the stolen goods - to Belle Vale Shopping Center in Liverpool, England recently.

"I stole two bars of chocolate from Woolworths in your shopping center in 1975, when I was a little boy," he wrote. "I apologise, I didn't know any better here's the money I owe you for them."

Because the shop in question is no longer in business, officials at the shopping center took the decision to donate the money to a children's hospice charity.

"In a time of division, it is great to see an act of kindness that restores faith in humanity," said a spokesman for the center. "Belle Vale Shopping Centre wants to thank the sender and acknowledge his apology. It is a positive message that is worth sharing to encourage all to be kind."

Source: Liverpool Echo | Comments (11)

Tags: Shoplifter, Chocolate

Comment icon #2 Posted by Eldorado on 15 July, 2018, 10:45
This has me wondering how many people alive today are guilty of stealing a sweet or two from the old Woolworths Pick n Mix. Couple of million?
Comment icon #3 Posted by Imaginarynumber1 on 15 July, 2018, 10:52
What atrocious handwriting
Comment icon #4 Posted by Stiff on 15 July, 2018, 10:54
Couple of million and one Also, the handwriting looks like he wrote it when he was a small boy. That's not a dig btw, when I've not written anything for a while my handwriting could be construedas a doctors.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Still Waters on 15 July, 2018, 11:07
He must have had one heck of a guiltyconscience! I wonder why now? but I think it'sgood he apologisedeven if it did takehim 40 years to get around to it. At least his conscience is clear now and his 5 is going to a good cause.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Vox on 16 July, 2018, 11:54
Anyone stopped to consider that the individual in question might have learning disabilities? Rationale: Poor capitalisation. Consistent mistakes in respects to grammar. Use of a brown slip of paper to write a letter - looks like the back side of a brown C5 envelope. As much as a gesture is concerned, and notwithstanding its positive message, it does come across as a somewhat childish and naive thing to do. I would have thought that an ordinary adult would have internalised this action as a child and not placed much more thought towards the matter. I understand that it might very well be someon... [More]
Comment icon #7 Posted by ouija ouija on 16 July, 2018, 12:00
My guess is they don't have long to live(or think they don't), and are trying to put right as many of the 'sins' they think they have committed as possible. Probably Catholic; want their Maker to see them in as good a light as possible when they meet.
Comment icon #8 Posted by Stiff on 16 July, 2018, 12:14
It could also be part of a program like the Alcohol Anonymous use with their 12 step program. One of the them I believe is to 'right previous wrongs' kind of thing. That could explain the hand writing too. Not that I know anything about the AA mind. It was my other half that mentioned it. (I must ask her how she knows so much about it )
Comment icon #9 Posted by Myles on 16 July, 2018, 16:33
My guess is that his parent forced him to write this way back when it happened, but it never was sent. He found it in a box of mementos and decided to finish the job.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Calibeliever on 16 July, 2018, 17:49
Or it could be "Step 9: Made direct amends to such people whenever possible, exceptwhen to do so would injure them or others." Someone might be taking their step work a little seriously.
Comment icon #11 Posted by TripGun on 25 July, 2018, 11:31
Mom must have found out.

'Bugpocalypse' sees major decline in insects
10-16-2018
A worrying new study has highlighted the catastrophic effects of global warming on insect populations.
Future of 1,000mph supersonic car in doubt
10-15-2018
An attempt to build the first car capable of exceeding 1,000mph has hit a major financial roadblock.
Robot gets field-tested at construction sites
10-15-2018
A recently released video shows Boston Dynamics' Spot robot climbing stairs and walking over platforms.
U-boat wreck is dubbed 'underwater Chernobyl'
10-15-2018
With its 60-ton cargo of mercury, the wreckage of U-864 is an environmental disaster waiting to happen.
How does fluid 'climb' up a rod ?
Posted 10-16-2018 | 0 comments
Physics Girl checks out a remarkable effect achievable with non-newtonian fluids.

Tense stand off with an elephant
Posted 10-10-2018 | 2 comments
A BBC film crew ends up face to face with a potentially hostile Indian elephant.

Free solo climbing in 360 degrees
Posted 10-5-2018 | 3 comments
Alex Honnold climbs up Yosemite's famous El Capitan with no equipment whatsoever.

An astronaut's guide to risk taking
Posted 10-1-2018 | 0 comments
Veteran NASA astronaut Chris Hadfield talks about his views on taking risks.

The man who climbed Everest 21 times
Posted 9-27-2018 | 0 comments
Apa Sherpa holds the world record for the most ascents of the world's tallest mountain.

And the shadows smile
8-25-2018 | Deal UK

Disappearing objects
8-12-2018 | Houston TX USA

I dreamt that Austin was destroyed
8-12-2018 | USA / Texas

Demon on my TV screen
8-12-2018 | U.S.

3 knocks, 3 nights...
8-12-2018 | San Fernando Valley, CA

Feeling something strange
8-9-2018 | Sydney, Australia

Dragon sighting in Spring Tx.
8-9-2018 | Spring Texas