Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Indian marathon runner claims to be 119

Posted on Tuesday, 27 August, 2019 | Comment icon 34 comments

Could Singh really be 119 years old ? Image Credit: YouTube / The Atlantic
If true, Dharam Pal Singh is not only the oldest ever marathon runner, but also the oldest man alive.
Singh, who hails from rural India, possesses various documents that seem to confirm his age including a passport, a voter ID card and a tax-identification card, however the one thing that he would need to provide to prove it beyond any reasonable doubt - a birth certificate - is the one thing he doesn't have because birth certificates were not typically issued in rural India at the time he was born.

This has made it very difficult for anyone to confirm that he really is 119 years old.

"If Dharam is as old as he says he is, that would make him the oldest man alive - as far as we know," said filmmaker David Freid who has created a documentary about Singh entitled The Never-Ending Marathon of Mr. Dharam Singh (which you can view below.)

"And if Dharam is the oldest man alive, and running marathons, I'd like to know his secret, and I think others would too."
Even if Singh isn't 119, he is still incredibly fit and capable for someone of advanced years.

A practitioner of yoga and meditation, he survives off a diet of food and drink made from leaves and vegetables. His supporters have also been practicing homeopathy on him for years.

"I am running to bring pride to India," he says.

"As long as I'm alive, I will keep running. I'll run until I die."

Source: The Atlantic | Comments (34)

Tags: Dharam Pal Singh

Comment icon #25 Posted by Sir Wearer of Hats on 27 August, 2019, 21:24
While it’s not impossible to reach 119, all other examples we have are of more seditary individuals. Avoiding arthritis would be the biggest issue.
Comment icon #26 Posted by Golden Duck on 27 August, 2019, 22:00
Whatever his age... He is fully sikh bro!
Comment icon #27 Posted by DieChecker on 27 August, 2019, 22:54
I've seen several other people in other nations claiming to be super old. Usually they've adopted their father/mother, or grand father/mother, identification after that person passed away. Good for him running a marathon, even if he is "only" 80 or 90.
Comment icon #28 Posted by Tom1200 on 28 August, 2019, 15:52
That will come in handy if you ever move to the UK.  The age of retirement here has just been raised again to 105.
Comment icon #29 Posted by Dark_Grey on 28 August, 2019, 16:06
I think diet would go a long way there. Avoiding food that cause inflammation. Aside from that, just don't stop moving: This guy is managing his own farm alone at 74 years old, all his equipment is powered by horse or human hands. I think there are a lot of examples like him we don't hear about. What this gentleman will be like in another 40 years remains to be seen, however as the farm life is not an easy life.
Comment icon #30 Posted by Piney on 31 August, 2019, 2:34
Your not punching a clock. Just doing what needs to be done. Some days nothing needs to be done Your always moving when doing those things Mid -Summer is farting around most of the day Mid-Winter is farting around except for bringing in firewood Nobody stabbing you in the back or pushing you and stressing you out. My stepfather was 75 and taking care of all my horse matters while I was in prison before his cancer spread. My stepsister is 76 and does the field biology thing plus scientist marches and long hikes. My neighbor is 78 and she hunts, fishes and does all her own yardwork My uncle was ... [More]
Comment icon #31 Posted by spartan max2 on 31 August, 2019, 13:14
Hmmm, if those are your friends, how old are you Mr Piney?
Comment icon #32 Posted by Piney on 31 August, 2019, 13:17
50 They are my younger friends. My older friends are all dead. Since I was in middle school I always hung out with older adults I could learn something from.
Comment icon #33 Posted by Dark_Grey on 31 August, 2019, 13:23
Lol that's an interesting take on it. I would take the farm life over this one any day. I remember my father talking to my old farmer uncles (two brothers that inherited the family farm long ago,) and he asked them if they have ever felt depressed. They thought about it for a second and the answer was "no. Never." Every day they woke up and knew exactly what they were supposed to do. No existential crisis, or anxiety about the future, no wallowing in self pity over the past. Just another day of being alive and doing chores lol I envy that simplicity. I envy their complete autonomy over their o... [More]
Comment icon #34 Posted by MissJatti on 31 August, 2019, 13:27
Ride or Die... I mean Run or Die

Netflix posts up 'Unsolved Mysteries' evidence
7-15-2020
Amateur sleuths have been poring over a Google Drive archive of evidence pertaining to the show's new cases.
NASA directive will protect us from alien bugs
7-15-2020
A new NASA Interim Directive (NID) aims to ensure that Earth is protected from extraterrestrial contamination.
Man discovers 'UFO crash site' in the woods
7-14-2020
A man from Plymouth, England has filmed a peculiar area of flattened trees in the middle of a Devon wood.
Ghost team finds hint of body at 'Tiger King' zoo
7-14-2020
The 'Ghost Adventures' crew recently found possible evidence of human remains at Joe Exotic's old zoo.
Transparent levitating ball