Friday, January 24, 2020

Rare, bizarre fish caught off Norwegian Island

Posted on Monday, 16 September, 2019 | Comment icon 15 comments
One angler got the surprise of his life recently when he reeled up this alien-like fish with huge bulbous eyes.
Known as a ratfish, this 300 million-year-old species lives in very deep water where its abnormally large eyes help it to see in the dark.

This particular specimen was reeled up by 19-year-old angler Oscar Lundahl.

"We were looking for blue halibut which is a rare species about five miles (8km) off shore," he said. "I had four hooks on one line and felt something quite big on the end of it."

"It took me about 30 minutes to reel it in because it was 800 meters deep."

"It was pretty amazing. I have never seen anything like it before. It just looked weird, a bit dinosaur-like. I didn't know what it was but my colleague did."

Source: News.com.au | Comments (15)

Tags: Ratfish

Comment icon #6 Posted by Sir Smoke aLot on 16 September, 2019, 12:24
Damn how did i miss this part in the article uh oh   “It is a bit like cod but tastier,” he said.''
Comment icon #7 Posted by zygote_myles on 16 September, 2019, 12:39
Not cool wanting to harm/kill rare fishes or any fishes at all. Leave them be I says!!
Comment icon #8 Posted by LucidElement on 16 September, 2019, 14:44
The funny thing is that those fish have horrible eye sight - they can barely see.
Comment icon #9 Posted by XenoFish on 16 September, 2019, 14:58
I think I know that fish...
Comment icon #10 Posted by ExpandMyMind on 16 September, 2019, 15:28
You don't need to see in front of you when your eyes are so big you can see the future.
Comment icon #11 Posted by Hankenhunter on 16 September, 2019, 20:42
I've reeled up quite a few of these little beasties off North Vancouver Island. I believe they are called rat fish because of the rat like front teeth. The first time I caught one, I could see the eyes reflecting light twenty feet from the surface. Suffice it to say, I had no inclination to try eating one. Unlike the article, most of the ratfish I caught and released were in less than a hundred feet of water. They are fairly common on the north west coast.
Comment icon #12 Posted by Seti42 on 17 September, 2019, 0:01
It looks like the 'tadpole' form of some much larger horror of the deep. Cool.
Comment icon #13 Posted by kobolds on 17 September, 2019, 6:21
did google search on ratfish but none with eyes that huge
Comment icon #14 Posted by Gwynbleidd on 17 September, 2019, 10:08
I find it very cute surprisingly. It's all in the eyes
Comment icon #15 Posted by LucidElement on 17 September, 2019, 20:04
Totally kidding - i have no idea how there eye sight is. I was making a terrible joke clearly lol. Far from an optometrist lol.

Volcanic eruption turned victims' brains to glass
1-23-2020
This dire fate awaited the residents of Herculaneum when Mount Vesuvius erupted in the year 79.
'Bigfoot' shows up on Sherman Pass webcam
1-23-2020
A mysterious figure was recently captured on camera by Washington state's Department of Transportation.
Strange black smoke ring filmed over Pakistan
1-23-2020
This giant ring, which was spotted drifting up into the sky, has been the topic of some heated debate this week.
New facility to produce oxygen from Moon dust
1-22-2020
A new technique could help make it possible for humans to live on the lunar surface in the not-too-distant future.
Dog and Jamaican statue
1-10-2020 | Canada

Life changing experience
12-19-2019 | Australia

Unexplained smoke or fog
12-19-2019 | West Texas, USA

He came in the night
12-19-2019 | CA

My reptilian encounter
11-24-2019 | Ireland and Australia

The day I found out I am immortal
11-24-2019 | Hialeah

Recent activity in my home
11-24-2019 | Kansas City, MO USA