Thursday, January 28, 2021

Rare, bizarre fish caught off Norwegian Island

Posted on Monday, 16 September, 2019 | Comment icon 15 comments
One angler got the surprise of his life recently when he reeled up this alien-like fish with huge bulbous eyes.
Known as a ratfish, this 300 million-year-old species lives in very deep water where its abnormally large eyes help it to see in the dark.

This particular specimen was reeled up by 19-year-old angler Oscar Lundahl.

"We were looking for blue halibut which is a rare species about five miles (8km) off shore," he said. "I had four hooks on one line and felt something quite big on the end of it."

"It took me about 30 minutes to reel it in because it was 800 meters deep."

"It was pretty amazing. I have never seen anything like it before. It just looked weird, a bit dinosaur-like. I didn't know what it was but my colleague did."

Source: News.com.au | Comments (15)

Tags: Ratfish

Comment icon #6 Posted by Sir Smoke aLot on 16 September, 2019, 12:24
Damn how did i miss this part in the article uh oh   “It is a bit like cod but tastier,” he said.''
Comment icon #7 Posted by zygote_myles on 16 September, 2019, 12:39
Not cool wanting to harm/kill rare fishes or any fishes at all. Leave them be I says!!
Comment icon #8 Posted by LucidElement on 16 September, 2019, 14:44
The funny thing is that those fish have horrible eye sight - they can barely see.
Comment icon #9 Posted by XenoFish on 16 September, 2019, 14:58
I think I know that fish...
Comment icon #10 Posted by ExpandMyMind on 16 September, 2019, 15:28
You don't need to see in front of you when your eyes are so big you can see the future.
Comment icon #11 Posted by Hankenhunter on 16 September, 2019, 20:42
I've reeled up quite a few of these little beasties off North Vancouver Island. I believe they are called rat fish because of the rat like front teeth. The first time I caught one, I could see the eyes reflecting light twenty feet from the surface. Suffice it to say, I had no inclination to try eating one. Unlike the article, most of the ratfish I caught and released were in less than a hundred feet of water. They are fairly common on the north west coast.
Comment icon #12 Posted by Seti42 on 17 September, 2019, 0:01
It looks like the 'tadpole' form of some much larger horror of the deep. Cool.
Comment icon #13 Posted by kobolds on 17 September, 2019, 6:21
did google search on ratfish but none with eyes that huge
Comment icon #14 Posted by Gwynbleidd on 17 September, 2019, 10:08
I find it very cute surprisingly. It's all in the eyes
Comment icon #15 Posted by LucidElement on 17 September, 2019, 20:04
Totally kidding - i have no idea how there eye sight is. I was making a terrible joke clearly lol. Far from an optometrist lol.

The bizarre 'UFO patents' of Dr Salvatore Pais
1-27-2021
Over the years, the US Navy has invested large sums into the development of several 'out there' technologies.
Has the Nazca Lines mystery been solved ?
1-27-2021
A new archaeological study has reportedly discovered the true purpose of the enigmatic Peruvian geoglyphs.
The peculiar history of cheese and witchcraft
1-26-2021
Throughout the ages, cheese has been perceived to possess all manner of strange and magical properties.
Mysteries revisited: the body on Killhope Moor
1-26-2021
The mystery of a body found in a coffin on a moor 100 years ago continues to endure even to this day.
The voice of something not human
11-17-2020 | Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles

Shadow figure demon ?
11-14-2020 | USA

Ghost following me
9-18-2020 | Iowa

Mysterious glowing cube
8-23-2020 | Alabama

Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball