Wednesday, June 29, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Natural World > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Natural World

Rare, bizarre fish caught off Norwegian Island

September 16, 2019 | Comment icon 15 comments

One angler got the surprise of his life recently when he reeled up this alien-like fish with huge bulbous eyes.
Known as a ratfish, this 300 million-year-old species lives in very deep water where its abnormally large eyes help it to see in the dark.

This particular specimen was reeled up by 19-year-old angler Oscar Lundahl.

"We were looking for blue halibut which is a rare species about five miles (8km) off shore," he said. "I had four hooks on one line and felt something quite big on the end of it."

"It took me about 30 minutes to reel it in because it was 800 meters deep."

"It was pretty amazing. I have never seen anything like it before. It just looked weird, a bit dinosaur-like. I didn't know what it was but my colleague did."

Source: News.com.au | Comments (15)

Comment icon #6 Posted by Sir Smoke aLot 3 years ago
Damn how did i miss this part in the article uh oh   “It is a bit like cod but tastier,” he said.''
Comment icon #7 Posted by zygote_myles 3 years ago
Not cool wanting to harm/kill rare fishes or any fishes at all. Leave them be I says!!
Comment icon #8 Posted by LucidElement 3 years ago
The funny thing is that those fish have horrible eye sight - they can barely see.
Comment icon #9 Posted by XenoFish 3 years ago
I think I know that fish...
Comment icon #10 Posted by ExpandMyMind 3 years ago
You don't need to see in front of you when your eyes are so big you can see the future.
Comment icon #11 Posted by Hankenhunter 3 years ago
I've reeled up quite a few of these little beasties off North Vancouver Island. I believe they are called rat fish because of the rat like front teeth. The first time I caught one, I could see the eyes reflecting light twenty feet from the surface. Suffice it to say, I had no inclination to try eating one. Unlike the article, most of the ratfish I caught and released were in less than a hundred feet of water. They are fairly common on the north west coast.
Comment icon #12 Posted by Seti42 3 years ago
It looks like the 'tadpole' form of some much larger horror of the deep. Cool.
Comment icon #13 Posted by kobolds 3 years ago
did google search on ratfish but none with eyes that huge
Comment icon #14 Posted by Gwynbleidd 3 years ago
I find it very cute surprisingly. It's all in the eyes
Comment icon #15 Posted by LucidElement 3 years ago
Totally kidding - i have no idea how there eye sight is. I was making a terrible joke clearly lol. Far from an optometrist lol.

Total Posts: 7,285,933    Topics: 299,731    Members: 197,541