We are now on Patreon! Click here to learn more about how you can help support the site.

Sunday, November 28, 2021
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Ghosts & Hauntings > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )
Ghosts & Hauntings

45% of Americans believe in paranormal entities

October 21, 2019 | Comment icon 46 comments

What are your views on ghosts, demons and vampires ? Image Credit: PD - cocoparisienne
A new YouGov poll has revealed how many Americans believe in the existence of supernatural beings.
With Halloween fast approaching, British market research and data analytics firm YouGov decided to ask members of the public what they thought about ghosts, demons and other paranormal entities.

The results indicated that 45% of Americans subscribe to the notion that ghosts and demons either "definitely exist" or "probably exist", however belief in vampires was significantly less at only 13%.

Slightly more overall - a total of 46% - believed in some sort of supernatural being with the extra 1% presumably believing in some other type of paranormal entity that was not specifically listed in the poll.
YouGov has also listed the results based on the political views of the participants.

The results suggested that Republicans were far more likely to believe in supernatural beings than Democrats, with 54% vs 37% for demons, 46% vs 41% for ghosts and 14% vs 8% for vampires.

Overall, 50% of Republicans believed in some sort of supernatural being vs 41% for Democrats.

Source: YouGov | Comments (46)

Unexplained Mysteries is now on Patreon!

Click here to learn more about how you can help support the site and gain access to a range of perks including a subscriber badge, ad-free browsing, an exclusive weekly newsletter, sneak peaks of upcoming features and more.
24 / 25
We are 96% of the way to our second Patreon subscriber target - thank you!
Comment icon #37 Posted by XenoFish 2 years ago
You didn't "pretty it up", which is a better selling point to me. Too often we get the typical outlandish and exaggerated tales.
Comment icon #38 Posted by spud the mackem 2 years ago
Thankyou , truth is better than fiction ,regards
Comment icon #39 Posted by OverSword 2 years ago
Most Christian sects believe that all supernatural occurrence is evil trying to undermine God through distraction from Him.
Comment icon #40 Posted by papageorge1 2 years ago
Millions and all mistakes and lies, bad odds there.
Comment icon #41 Posted by OverSword 2 years ago
I wonder if there is a culture on the planet that does not have stories about ghosts or demons? Anybody know of one?
Comment icon #42 Posted by XenoFish 2 years ago
Comment icon #43 Posted by Robotic Jew 2 years ago
I post this on all of the ghost threads I come across. Think this one is perfect for it.
Comment icon #44 Posted by the13bats 2 years ago
It's just a story. I meant and mean no offense the story is yours true to you, not mine and not true to me
Comment icon #45 Posted by DieChecker 2 years ago
True. And most dont believe in ghosts. Most believe a person's soul goes to heaven or hell, but never just hangs around. I think these numbers are besides a belief in religion, though I'd suspect somecorrelation anyway.
Comment icon #46 Posted by IBelieveWhatIWant 2 years ago
This is an experience I still can't explain by normal means So I used to live in a unit with my mum and brother. Once afternoon we were in the kitchen; he was cooking and I was talking to him. When we both heard something hit the ground from the laundry (sliding door that leads to the laundry is next to the oven and was open), before we had a chance to see what I was I looked down and saw a tub of washing detergent (5 liter tub of Cold Power which was roughly half full) at my feet. Now I know for a fact that previously it was on top of the washing machine (about 9 feet from me). The washing ma... [More]