Wednesday, January 20, 2021
  Bizarre

Two kayakers almost swallowed by a whale

Posted on Wednesday, 4 November, 2020 | Comment icon 6 comments

Getting too close to a humpback can prove lethal... Image Credit: CC BY 3.0 Whit Welles
Two women had been kayaking off the coast of California when they were almost ingested by a humpback whale.
In a scene that wouldn't look out of place in a movie, the two women - Julie McSorley and her friend Liz Cottriel - had been watching whales while kayaking off Avila Beach when a massive humpback whale suddenly rose up out of the water directly beneath them, grabbing their kayak in its mouth.

The spectacle was filmed from multiple angles by their friends who had been situated nearby.

Fortunately both women were thrown into the water and did not end up inside the whale's mouth.
"I thought, 'Oh no! It's too close,'" said McSorley. "All of a sudden, I lifted up, and I was in the water."

"I'm thinking to myself, 'I'm going to push. Like, I'm going to push a whale out of the way!' Cottriel added. "I'm thinking, 'I'm dead. I'm dead.' I thought it was going to land on me."

"Next thing I know, I'm underwater."

Source: Huffington Post | Comments (6)

Tags: Whale

Comment icon #1 Posted by OverSword on 4 November, 2020, 17:44
WOW!!!
Comment icon #2 Posted by Jon the frog on 4 November, 2020, 18:15
WOW, a brown pants moment for sure !
Comment icon #3 Posted by Tom1200 on 4 November, 2020, 19:18
"The incident emphasizes the importance of keeping a safe distance when out whale-watching." I suggest 2 metres.  We don't want those whales catching Covid.
Comment icon #4 Posted by NCC1701 on 4 November, 2020, 22:27
Hmm... Those video's look suspicious. Is there any other proof?
Comment icon #5 Posted by ercbreeze on 5 November, 2020, 1:24
They just missed being Darwin Award nominees.  Wonder if they produced off spring yet?  ;-)
Comment icon #6 Posted by Myles on 5 November, 2020, 11:43
I don't know about that.   What they were doing is very common.

Is the Loch Ness Monster an ancient sea turtle ?
1-19-2021
One researcher has come up with a new theory to explain sightings of the legendary Scottish loch monster.
How can people hear the voices of the dead ?
1-19-2021
Scientists have been attempting to find out what makes a person more likely to hear voices from beyond the grave.
Witness recounts 'winged creature' encounter
1-18-2021
Three people had been driving in northeastern Illinois when they saw a flying creature with 'human proportions'.
Revealed: the face of Siberia's 'Tutankhamun'
1-18-2021
Scientists in Russia have painstakingly reconstructed the face of a Scythian king found in a tomb in East Siberia.
The voice of something not human
11-17-2020 | Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles

Shadow figure demon ?
11-14-2020 | USA

Ghost following me
9-18-2020 | Iowa

Mysterious glowing cube
8-23-2020 | Alabama

Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball