Saturday, July 24, 2021

1953 von Braun book references 'Elon' on Mars

Posted on Friday, 16 July, 2021 | Comment icon 27 comments

Elon Musk - Imperator of Mars ? Image Credit: SpaceX
A book written 70 years ago by German rocket scientist Wernher von Braun made a rather striking prediction.
Having pioneered Nazi Germany's rocket technology before being recruited to work for the Americans at the end of World War II, Wernher von Braun remains a prominent figure in the history of the space race and the development of the technology that would one day take us to the Moon.

More recently, eagle-eyed space history buffs have noticed some interesting correlations between what he'd written in his 1953 book "Mars Project: A Technical Tale" and the current work by SpaceX and Elon Musk to put humans on Mars.

In response to a Tweet by Musk about destiny, one user - Toby li - noted:

"Speaking about destiny, did you know that Von Braun's 1953 book 'Mars Project,' referenced a person named Elon that would bring humans to Mars? Pretty nuts."
If we look a bit closer at this claim, while the name Elon is indeed mentioned in the book, it wasn't the name of the person who von Braun had believed would lead humans to Mars but instead the name of the leader of the government that he predicted would be formed to rule Mars.

"The Martian government was directed by ten men, the leader of which was elected by universal suffrage for five years and entitled 'Elon'," the passage reads when translated into English.

"Two houses of Parliament enacted the laws to be administered by the Elon and his cabinet."

Seeing the funny side, Musk responded by Tweeting:

"Technoking of Tesla, Imperator of Mars."

Source: Business Insider | Comments (27)

Tags: Elon Musk, Mars

Comment icon #18 Posted by Manwon Lender on 23 July, 2021, 11:29
The interesting thing is that the name Elon is not a word in the German Language, so Dr. Von Braun just made it up.
Comment icon #19 Posted by Manwon Lender on 23 July, 2021, 11:34
Yes we are my friend, but there is a tiny little Hitch. According to the current plan they colonize or die because they have no way for them to return to Earth.  Don't think I would go on that first mission, I think sitting back and letting them work the bugs of it might be the smart thing to do!  Peace
Comment icon #20 Posted by joc on 23 July, 2021, 12:03
Details, details!  That's the problem with you realists...always have to drag in the 'details'.
Comment icon #21 Posted by rashore on 23 July, 2021, 14:31
This is kind of funny. Mr. Musk dropped titles at work in 2018, titled himself Technoking of Tesla in 2021... then posted a tweet with a quote from a 70's American movie, which led to a response tweet of a misinformed extract of a 50s German fiction... which led to the Technoking briefly proclaiming to be the Imperator of Mars.  That's like a fanfic of a fanfic of a fanfic... or a really good start to a crazy space style urban legend. With the way it's set up now, it could get really good and skewed up to a much bigger fish in a decade or two.
Comment icon #22 Posted by Manwon Lender on 23 July, 2021, 21:05
Sorry man, but think about it is going to take some brave, and dedicated Single heroes to sign up for a mission like that!
Comment icon #23 Posted by joc on 23 July, 2021, 22:59
I think a manned space flight to Mars is in the future...but...only when we have developed the technology to return flight.  I don't think is anyone is really planning on a one way flight to Mars.  We'll get there...probably ten years out I would guess.
Comment icon #24 Posted by Desertrat56 on 23 July, 2021, 23:12
I think the book The Martian by Andy Weir is close to how it will be.  We have almost all the technology he describes perfected.
Comment icon #25 Posted by Manwon Lender on 23 July, 2021, 23:18
Space X is planning a manned mission to Mars if all go's well between now and 2025. https://www.space.com/spacex-launch-astronauts-mars-2024 The Chinese are planning their first manned flight and landing on Mars in 2033. https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/24/china-plans-to-send-its-first-crewed-mission-to-mars-in-2033.html My comments on a one flight were kind of a joke, unfortunately it could easily end up that way. Anyway, anyone who would do it are a brave and heroic group of individuals. Jumping out of airplanes and helicopters is the extent of my daring, I would not have the guts to leave the p... [More]
Comment icon #26 Posted by joc on 24 July, 2021, 0:02
Getting on the freeway is about the extent of my daring. It takes a special kind of person to jump out of an airplane or helicopter!  You sir, are a special kind of person.  I mean that in a good way!    I have flown on several helicopters...going out to and from various oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico...not really my cup of tea...flying that is.  I likes me feet right down here at ground zero.  But to jump out of one...I am fine leaving that to someone like you!
Comment icon #27 Posted by Manwon Lender on 24 July, 2021, 0:33
Special now that's a laugh, when I went to Ft. Benning Georgia to jump school it was the last thing I wanted to do. Up until that point, I was really scared of heights, on my jump the instructor almost had to kick me in the Ass to get me out of the plane. But, it got better with each jump, and now I no longer have a fear of heights. But, the only reason I went to jump school was because it was required for my career progression. I was never stationed with an Airborne Unit, but I did have to maintain jump certification.  I am actually kind of glad I never had a combat jump, I mean your kind of ... [More]

191141

Uri Geller claims that he saw aliens at NASA
7-24-2021
Celebrity spoon-bender Uri Geller claims that he saw 'refrigerated aliens' during his time working with NASA.
Mars InSight mission unveils surprising secrets
7-23-2021
The space probe, which landed in 2018, has revealed some surprising findings about the planet's interior.
Real-life 'revenant' rescued after bear attack
7-23-2021
A man has been rescued from the Alaskan wilderness after enduring repeated attacks by a grizzly bear.
USAF report references 'defensive force fields'
7-22-2021
The report, which focuses on directed energy weapons, suggests that force fields could soon become a reality.
Mystery 'troll' captured on camera
4-24-2021 | Marsta, Sweden

My Grandfather's NDE
4-24-2021 | Oakland, California

The voice of something not human
11-17-2020 | Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles

Shadow figure demon ?
11-14-2020 | USA

Ghost following me
9-18-2020 | Iowa

Mysterious glowing cube
8-23-2020 | Alabama

Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball