Monday, November 24, 2014   |   4,553 users online
    Home  ·  News  ·  Forum  ·  Stories  ·  Image Gallery  ·  Columns  ·  Encyclopedia  ·  Videos  ·  Chat

Fish leaps from lake to catch bird in flight

Posted on Saturday, 11 January, 2014 | Comment icon 12 comments

The fish managed to catch a passing swallow. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Lip Kee

Remarkable footage has captured the moment a fish jumped out of the water to catch a passing bird.

While the sight of a bird swooping down to catch a fish might not raise too many eyebrows, a research team filming an African lake recently caught on camera the peculiar spectacle of a Tigerfish leaping out of the water to catch a low-flying bird.

"The whole action of jumping and catching the swallow in flight happens so incredibly quickly that after we first saw it, it took all of us a while to really fully comprehend what we had just seen," said Nico Smit of the North-West University in Potchefstroom, South Africa.

The film will go down in the history books as the first time a freshwater fish has been recorded jumping out of the water to catch a bird in flight.

Source: Nature.com | Comments (12)

Tags: Tigerfish

Comment icon #3 Posted by Harte on 11 January, 2014, 19:16
That's definitely payback being a b****. Harte
Comment icon #4 Posted by Technocrat on 11 January, 2014, 21:25
Comment icon #5 Posted by lightly on 12 January, 2014, 1:50
(couldn't watch the vid right now but ) .. I'll bet the birds fly along the surface of the water to catch bugs on the surface or hovering there... those fish got hip to it a long time ago. I'll also bet those fish are used to eating other birds too ... baby ducks and such? I've seen baby ducks get snatched by big pike before !
Comment icon #6 Posted by drewiduk on 12 January, 2014, 11:35
I saw that pelican eat the pigeon, it was in st james' park, random thing was, it was the first sighting of a pelican in London. Does anyone know what species of fish this was in the video?
Comment icon #7 Posted by tendo on 13 January, 2014, 0:48
The music on this video is the worst. The video is pretty sweet, though.
Comment icon #8 Posted by DieChecker on 13 January, 2014, 1:45
There are also those French catfish that leap onto the beach to catch pigeons. But, catching a swallow on the wing seems harder to me.
Comment icon #9 Posted by White Crane Feather on 13 January, 2014, 7:43
hahahah if its real I bet the bird got away.
Comment icon #10 Posted by White Crane Feather on 13 January, 2014, 7:46
Whooooooowww. good banjo rhythms? hmph.....I like them so much I have considered taking up the instrument.
Comment icon #11 Posted by Harry_Dresden on 18 January, 2014, 5:37
Holy chit...this is a tigerfish...and if I'm not mistaken the guy posing with the fish is the dude from river monsters.
Comment icon #12 Posted by psyche101 on 20 January, 2014, 7:37
They are amazing. I have seen a video of a Turtle taking a Pigeon too. Vicious place the animal kingdom. I think the most amazing thing I have seen is the flash frozen fish in the other thread. One of them, there are some pics on the net where he has an even meaner specimen in hand. I do like that show.

Hotel hauntings