Friday, September 30, 2016

'Ghost Box' creator Frank Sumption has died

Posted on Tuesday, 19 August, 2014 | Comment icon 33 comments

A voice recorder is often used to capture EVP. Image Credit: sxc.hu
The man behind a controversial device designed to communicate with spirits has died of a heart attack.
Known as "Frank's Box", the device was developed by Sumption back in 2002 and utilized the concept of electronic voice phenomena (EVP) to speak to spirits, a method in which background noise is recorded by a microphone and then analyzed in the belief that voices can be heard in the static.

The eccentric EVP enthusiast claimed at the time that even the designs for the device had been received from the spirit world.

Sumption never put his devices up for general sale but instead created only a limited run of about 180 units and distributed them only to a select few people who he felt should have one.

Despite the highly controversial nature of his invention and the lack of evidence to suggest that it had ever been able to communicate with the dead, the "Frank's Box" would go on to influence the field of EVP like nothing before it - ushering forth a whole new era of paranormal investigation.

Source: Paranormal Pop Culture | Comments (33)

Tags: Frank Sumption

Comment icon #24 Posted by sam_comm on 21 August, 2014, 18:40
As for the " good riddence " reply, ( not mine ) I am surprised mine got the attention. That was wrong. You have every right to your opinions and thanks for the clarifications. As for the hateful, needless comment, you kind of endorsed it, even gave a like to the post and since you on the other hand at least elaborated your views, I choosed to reply your post.
Comment icon #25 Posted by Sakari on 21 August, 2014, 18:46
You have every right to your opinions and thanks for the clarifications. As for the hateful, needless comment, you kind of endorsed it, even gave a like to the post and since you on the other hand at least elaborated your views, I choosed to reply your post. If I gave a like, I did not mean to.....Changing that.
Comment icon #26 Posted by BiffSplitkins on 21 August, 2014, 18:51
A " ghost box " is not some great thing that helped humanity. I do see them for sale, and it may not be going to his pockets. But it is going into someones. I think things like this are scams, and have no respect for them. The inventor of the whoopie cushion wasn't exactly inventing anything to help humanity either... but I still have praise for that invention. I don't know much about the ghost box, but I am a pro with a whoopie cushion.
Comment icon #27 Posted by Sakari on 21 August, 2014, 18:55
The inventor of the whoopie cushion wasn't exactly inventing anything to help humanity either... but I still have praise for that invention. I don't know much about the ghost box, but I am a pro with a whoopie cushion. Nice To me, the whoopie cushion has a purpose......It makes people laugh. It does what it is claimed to do.
Comment icon #28 Posted by John Wesley Boyd on 27 August, 2014, 3:46
Never was an inventor presented with a more fortuitous opportunity to prove his device works.
Comment icon #29 Posted by Rafterman on 28 August, 2014, 14:27
Frank was very close friend of mine I had the honor of purchasing many boxes from him.. he didnt just sell to anyone. I very blessed to have a huge collection.. I want to say he had about 170 something made. I haven't tryed to contact him its to soon Im still in shock Ursula kalin I was under the impression that he gave the designs away and didn't sell them. Anyway, I don't think he was a dishonest person. He seemed to truly believe that the boxes worked and thought they could help people. He was simply mistaken. I've visited his soundwave page where he cataloged what he considered the "best" ... [More]
Comment icon #30 Posted by Scorpius on 12 September, 2014, 21:53
Mankind once believed in "spontaneous generation" and that "the world was flat". With further advancement in technology and curiosity can we further enhance our knowledge. There are still a lot more things to be discovered in the universe. It is only with ignorance, reservation, and narrow-mindedness do we lower ourselves. Good riddance. Some people might say the same about you.
Comment icon #31 Posted by docyabut2 on 13 September, 2014, 4:21
Voice recordings have been around for quite a while, but to really believe ghosts do come through,I have have to experience my self .
Comment icon #32 Posted by stevemagegod on 21 September, 2014, 1:36
It'd be interesting if his voices come through his own inventions.
Comment icon #33 Posted by Misanthropic on 11 October, 2014, 21:48
i don't think Frank was a scammer or was trying to con people. i think he believed that (for all intents and purposes) this broken radio provided a link between the living and the dead. i commend him for his attempts to find answers to the life after death question. Now, when the guy that invented the ghost app dies, i won't have positive things to say. Hell, i may even drop a "good riddance" post when that happens.

Tech giants team up to form AI ethics board
9-29-2016
Several major technology companies have joined forces in an effort to prevent an AI-fuelled apocalypse.
Catholic Church: 'exorcists in urgent demand'
9-29-2016
A rise in occult and superstitious practices has allegedly brought about a major exorcist shortage.
'Bigfoot' picked up on live eagle nest webcam
9-29-2016
A live feed from an eagle's nest in Michigan has recorded a mysterious figure wandering around below.
SpaceX plans to send humans to Mars by 2022
9-28-2016
Elon Musk has outlined his extraordinarily ambitious plans to make mankind an interplanetary species.
World's largest rock band
Posted 9-29-2016 | 3 comments
This Chinese rock band has 953 members including 349 singers and 154 guitarists.

Alaska's bubbling lakes
Posted 9-28-2016 | 1 comment
Many lakes in the boreal regions of Alaska are emitting copious amounts of methane gas.

Elephants unite
Posted 9-27-2016 | 0 comments
Two elephant families decide to join together on the plains of Africa in this BBC wildlife clip.

Why do we get pruney fingers in water ?
Posted 9-26-2016 | 2 comments
Why do your fingers turn in to prunes when you stay in the bath too long ?

Crushing shoes
Posted 9-25-2016 | 0 comments
What happens when you crush shoes in a high-powered hydraulic press ?

Black magic
9-27-2016 | Mineral Wells, Texas

Crying mother
9-27-2016 | Centrol Mexico

Red-faced monster
9-14-2016 | Lox Florida

Locked door
9-14-2016 | Ho Chi Minh city/Vietnam

The visit
9-9-2016 | West Palm Beach, Fl

Translucent silent UFO
9-9-2016 | Brisbane/Australia

Sleep paralysis and strange activity
9-1-2016 | Tarpon Springs, FL