Thursday, August 17, 2017

Long lost Sherlock Holmes story discovered

Posted on Saturday, 21 February, 2015 | Comment icon 13 comments

Sherlock Holmes author Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Image Credit: Herbert Rose Barraud
A previously unknown short story by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle has been found hidden away in a man's attic.
The 1,300-word tale was part of a book of short stories that had been put together for a local event to help raise enough money to build a new bridge in the Scottish town of Selkirk after the old one was destroyed in a flood in 1902.

Conan Doyle, who was particularly fond of the town and its surrounding area, penned the Sherlock Holmes story as a contribution to the fund raising efforts.

80-year-old Walter Elliot, who had received the book around 50 years ago, only recently succeeded in finding it again while searching through some of the items stored in his attic.

"I have no idea how many they made and sold," he said. "I've had this book for about 40 or 50 years. I must have got it from a friend because I can't remember buying it from anyone."

"I have no idea if it has ever been published. I've always been interested in history and my family has always passed on stories and I suppose this was one of the stories that was passed down."

Source: Telegraph | Comments (13)

Tags: Sherlock Holmes

Comment icon #4 Posted by Still Waters on 20 February, 2015, 21:01
Awesome.. would be great if it was released for us all to read. It's in this link, it's a short story. http://www.telegraph...n-an-attic.html
Comment icon #5 Posted by ancient astronaut on 21 February, 2015, 19:07
Cool beans.
Comment icon #6 Posted by SpiritWalker7 on 21 February, 2015, 21:15
It's in this link, it's a short story. http://www.telegraph...n-an-attic.html Thanks. You're the best!
Comment icon #7 Posted by gailforce on 21 February, 2015, 23:00
i wonder how much publishing agancies are ofering that man right as i type now... really makes me think, my grandma used to have a old bible (about 200-300 years old) when she was a kid but they burned it as fire wood, i could have been so rich (actually my family did use to clear more than the mayor but my parents didn't think to invest any money, i really wish that the rest of my family understood finances, oh well maybe when i inherit the house i could try busting open a 500 year old vine seller (that used to belong to a nobleman that runed the city back in the days) with no entrance that's... [More]
Comment icon #8 Posted by Harte on 22 February, 2015, 2:03
He could get paid well for the rare book containing the story, but Conan Doyle's Estate controls the copyrights to almost all his stuff. At least, in the US. Examine it closely, Watson. Harte
Comment icon #9 Posted by ali smack on 22 February, 2015, 14:44
Should make a tv adaptian of said story
Comment icon #10 Posted by third_eye on 22 February, 2015, 15:22
Bearing in mind the peculiar circumstances with which this pleasant turn of events has brought to light an adventure thought to have been lost , I dare say my dear Watson, if you would be as so kind as to fetch your firearm, we may have need of it again ... ~
Comment icon #11 Posted by IceBorne on 22 February, 2015, 16:33
Wouldn`t it be awesome, if Steven Moffat would use this story for his next Sherlock-Episode?
Comment icon #12 Posted by regeneratia on 23 February, 2015, 1:10
Wow this is interesting.
Comment icon #13 Posted by Brat Mc on 27 February, 2015, 17:24
Sherlock Holmes and the Mystery of the Lost Script, wow sounds like a Sherlock Holm.....wait hold on!!

Man finds snake on a supermarket pineapple
8-17-2017
A man in Edinburgh got the fright of his life on Tuesday when he found the reptile in his shopping.
Insect burgers to go on sale in Switzerland
8-16-2017
Insect-based edibles are beginning to appear in shops after a recent revision of food safety laws.
Firm set to put a cellphone tower on the Moon
8-16-2017
A German startup is aiming to land rovers on the Moon that will communicate using cellphone technology.
'Frankenstein dinosaur' is 'missing link'
8-16-2017
The mystery surrounding a dinosaur made up of various mismatched body parts has finally been solved.
Concrete blocks chest smash
Posted 8-17-2017 | 0 comments
Multiple world record holder Ali Bahcetepe has 16 concrete blocks smashed on his chest.

Animal symbiotic relationships
Posted 8-16-2017 | 2 comments
A look at some of the animal species that rely on one another to survive.

How much of the Earth can be seen at once ?
Posted 8-15-2017 | 0 comments
What is the maximum amount of our planet that you can see from any given point ?

Will batteries power the world ?
Posted 8-14-2017 | 0 comments
Is there a limit to how small and light a rechargeable lithium-ion battery can be ?

Hoia-Baciu - the world's most haunted forest
Posted 8-13-2017 | 0 comments
A look at an area of forest that some people describe as Romania's own 'Bermuda Triangle'.

Ghost experiences ?
8-11-2017 | United States

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama