Thursday, May 19, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Science & Technology > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Science & Technology

Conscious man 'in coma' for 23 years

November 23, 2009 | Comment icon 28 comments

Image Credit: sxc.hu
A man who was believed to be in a coma following a car crash spent 23 years in a hospital bed, he was paralysed but fully conscious and aware the entire time with no way to communicate that fact to anyone.
A Belgian man diagnosed as being in a coma for 23 years was actually conscious the whole time. Rom Houbens was simply paralysed and had no way to let doctors caring for him what he was suffering. "I dreamt myself away," says Houben, now 46, who was misdiagnosed as being in a persistent vegetative state after a car crash.

Source: Daily Mail | Comments (28)

Comment icon #19 Posted by Deceiver 13 years ago
Comment icon #20 Posted by chemical-licker 13 years ago
SO does he get to pay for his hospital bill if he was conscience all this time?
Comment icon #21 Posted by cluey 13 years ago
That's Hell on Earth, right there. exactly....
Comment icon #22 Posted by Triade 13 years ago
Doubting a ‘Locked-In’ Man’s Words Update | 8:45 p.m. Rom Houben, a Belgian man who spent 23 years lying motionless in bed, suffering from complete paralysis that was misdiagnosed as the result of a coma, was discovered to have been fully conscious three years ago by a doctor using new brain-scan technology.Now, just four days after his remarkable story was first reported in the media, and he was shown giving a round of interviews to television journalists — typing out remarks on a special keyboard his family says he can operate with the help of a caregiver — Mr. Houben has been introduced to ... [More]
Comment icon #23 Posted by Mistydawn 13 years ago
Where was god in all of this? Why did he have to suffer so horribly? Incapacited, vulnerable, lost... I wish to god I didn't believe in god. HORRIBLE.
Comment icon #24 Posted by ninjadude 13 years ago
Apparently this is complete BS from what I've read. The video of the woman doing this is looking at his hand and moving his fingers for him. There is no independent movement. The poor man is a pawn and that woman should be arrested for fraud.
Comment icon #25 Posted by little_dreamer 13 years ago
Comment icon #26 Posted by Mistydawn 13 years ago
Yes, I was suspicious as well. I would hope that they would have someone else other than his regular caretakers verify that he can spell things out on his own. Aw what? A con? Jeez, what next!
Comment icon #27 Posted by Darkwind 13 years ago
That's truly awful. It reminds me of "Johnny Got His Gun" Metallica also based their song "One" on it. "Darkness imprisoning me All that I see Absolute horror I cannot live I cannot die Trapped in myself Body my holding cell" Yeah, a faith worse than death... That was what I was thinking of. "Johnny Got His Gun" should be required reading in med school. I know people who are locked in their bodies by MS. It is a living hell.
Comment icon #28 Posted by kurethmu 13 years ago
I cannot even begin to imagine how much that would suck. I think I would try to suffocate myself or something after awhile. At the very least, I'd be totally insane once I came out of the coma and they'd have to put me down like a wild animal.

Total Posts: 7,264,773    Topics: 298,785    Members: 196,924