Monday, January 24, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Natural World > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Natural World

Giant crocodile captured in Philippines

September 6, 2011 | Comment icon 34 comments

Image Credit: Vassil
The largest crocodile to be caught alive in years is to become part of a new ecotourism park.
The gargantuan reptile measures 21ft long and weighs a whole ton, it was captured following an effort by several dozen villagers who hunted the beast for almost three weeks. 100 people were needed to move the crocodile after which a large crane was used to hoist it on to the back of a truck.
Villagers and veteran hunters have captured a one-ton saltwater crocodile which they plan to make the star of a planned ecotourism park in a southern Philippine town, an official said Monday.

Source: Yahoo! News | Comments (34)

Comment icon #25 Posted by Framling 11 years ago
If I was stupid rich I would ask for the rights to buy her carcass when she finally does kick it.
Comment icon #26 Posted by jpjoe 11 years ago
Comment icon #27 Posted by BaneSilvermoon 11 years ago
The biggest caught alive so far. Though according to reports, that croc is just 10% of Bunawan Village's problem. There are still a few lareger crocs which needs to be caught. The size, 23-24 feet, local croc experts say. Some villagers' whom have personal encounters even claim the biggest to be 40 feet, though I think that's just ridiculous - but who knows.. I imagine that one would seem 40 feet if you were at the waters edge and saw it a few feet away.
Comment icon #28 Posted by Still Waters 11 years ago
When I was looking around yesterday I saw somewhere there's an outcry over this captured crocodile for its release. If I find the link I'll come back and post it.
Comment icon #29 Posted by Archosaur 11 years ago
I have heard that the relocation is going hard for her, and she's off her feed. The vets are worried.
Comment icon #30 Posted by jpjoe 11 years ago
Comment icon #31 Posted by Archosaur 11 years ago
I don't think anyone other than PETA is serious about releasing that big girl. There are some who think she ate a farmer after all. Still, crocs that big are quite rare, and the Philippines is correct that they have a treasure in their possession.
Comment icon #32 Posted by Still Waters 11 years ago
@Still Waters I think you're referring to the guys at PETA http://www.philstar.com/nation/article.aspx?publicationSubCategoryId=200&articleId=725795 IMO, unless there is some way to train the croc to go back to its original natural diet permanently, better cage it than be sorry. Thank you for the link I came back to post this one - Philippines urged to free giant crocodile http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-09-philippines-urged-free-giant-crocodile.html It's a no-win situation all round looks like
Comment icon #33 Posted by BrianPotter 11 years ago
It would just be hunted down if its released now.
Comment icon #34 Posted by Justinus 10 years ago
Funny, Scientist thought prehistoric crocs weren't this big. Now we found a bunch? I wonder how big creatures like the Pliosaur could have actually grown.

Total Posts: 7,215,534    Topics: 295,971    Members: 195,374