Tuesday, August 16, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Science & Technology > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Science & Technology

'Door to Hell' has been burning for 40 years

July 29, 2012 | Comment icon 28 comments

Image Credit: CC 2.0 flydime
A huge flame pit in the depths of Turkmenistan's Karakum Desert has been on fire for over four decades.
Often referred to as 'The Door to Hell', the pit looks like something out of a dark fantasy novel. It was ignited when Soviet geologists drilled at the site in 1971 and tapped in to a cavern filled with natural gas, causing the ground above to collapse. Concerned about a release of poisonous gases the team decided to burn it off - however 40 years later the fire is still going strong.

Nowadays the site of the pit has become a significant tourist attraction with visitors from all over the world traveling to see it for themselves. It isn't clear how long the spectacle will last before the fire goes out.
At first glance, it could be a dramatic scene from a science-fiction movie. But this giant hole of fire in the heart of the Karakum Desert is not the aftermath of an attack on Earth, launched from outer space.

Source: Daily Mail | Comments (28)

Comment icon #19 Posted by csspwns 10 years ago
lol the soviets were probably like, "we released bad gas and its burning in a hole? who give a damn lets get outta here!" this is why i like CoD Modern Warfare 2 Mission 4: No Russians
Comment icon #20 Posted by Harlequin Dreamer 10 years ago
So its been burning for 40 years and no-one thought of using the heat to run a genertor etc, my first thought is what a waste the same as volcanoes why dont they use the energy saves burning coal.
Comment icon #21 Posted by Myles 10 years ago
Sure makes my efforts of conserving a little nat gas seem worthless. I thought the same when I watched the Olympic opening ceremonies. That torch has already burned more gas than I will in my lifetime. http://www.businessinsider.com/video-of-the-olympic-cauldron-lighting-in-london-2012-7
Comment icon #22 Posted by MrScioscia 10 years ago
If you look closley, you can see former pope John Paul waving.
Comment icon #23 Posted by CRIPTIC CHAMELEON 10 years ago
If you look closley, you can see former pope John Paul waving. Sorry but I think thats a bit of a harsh statement.
Comment icon #24 Posted by Pod99966 10 years ago
We have this giant pit burning for 40 years and people keep saying SUV's are causing global warming.
Comment icon #25 Posted by DeathRain2012 10 years ago
Alright now everyone, welcome to the infernal fires of hell. I will be your guide today and I just want to start off by advising you to keep all hands and feet inside the cart at all times. Do not touch the flames unless you're told to do so. If you are frightened at any time.. then get the hell over it. Haha just some humor folks. I would like to take this time to wish all of you luck. You will need it. Let's ride.
Comment icon #26 Posted by BaneSilvermoon 10 years ago
There's a very good documentary on Centralia
Comment icon #27 Posted by Myles 10 years ago
There's a very good documentary on Centralia i found it very interesting when I first read about it a few years ago.
Comment icon #28 Posted by BaneSilvermoon 10 years ago
Now that I'm not at work... Centralia Documentary in its entirety. http://www.hulu.com/watch/157861

Total Posts: 7,313,947    Topics: 300,924    Members: 198,009