Monday, September 26, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Space & Astronomy > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )
Space & Astronomy

Company offering one way Mars trips

By T.K. Randall
July 30, 2012 · Comment icon 53 comments

Image Credit: NASA
Mars One is planning on settling a colony on Mars by 2023 as part of an ambitious new project.
[!gad]The Dutch company will be holding a worldwide lottery in 2013 to pick 40 people who will be trained as astronauts to undergo the mission and live in the colony. There is one important catch however - the trip is one way, participants can only sign up on the understanding that once they've left for Mars there will be no coming back.

"We will send humans to Mars in 2023," said Mars One founder Bas Lansdorp. "They will live there the rest of their lives. There will be a habitat waiting for them, and we'll start sending four people every two years." Given that a manned mission to Mars by NASA or any of the other space agencies is still at least more than a decade away, the time line for the Mars One project seems a little on the ambitious side.
If you've always wanted to live on a distant world, Dutch company Mars One wants to give you your chance to settle on the red planet. There's only one catch: You'll never be able to return to Earth.

Source: Yahoo! News | Comments (53)

Comment icon #44 Posted by DONTEATUS 10 years ago
Comment icon #45 Posted by Lnzar7 10 years ago
Comment icon #46 Posted by Imaginarynumber1 10 years ago
I would go in a second and gladly live the rest of my life (however long it may be) on that glorious red planet. Later, Earth!
Comment icon #47 Posted by Rlyeh 10 years ago
Im going and Im taking my little monkey ,I`ll find those underground rivers and Lakes to drink from, those yummy seed pod dates to eat ! And Wow ! Did I mention those Martian Women? To Die for ! Green to the bone ! WHat a Paradise ! I wonder what the martian women will think of your uh.. little monkey.
Comment icon #48 Posted by skookum 10 years ago
I would do it but I know I am not fit or young enough.
Comment icon #49 Posted by Mykhailo 10 years ago
...and next on Mars TV... "Ancient Aliens - The Return" Was Mars visited before...??? What will happen when they return...???
Comment icon #50 Posted by libstaK 10 years ago
Don't you think If man was meant to live on Mars or anywhere else for that matter he would already be living there? Given man evolved on Earth if he is meant to live anywhere else he would devise a means to get there ... oh wait.
Comment icon #51 Posted by Still Waters 10 years ago
Would I go never to return? - no way
Comment icon #52 Posted by MISHA-lee 10 years ago
earth is pretty muched ****ed because of the pollution and the radio active power plant and the population on earth is too much,i would go but i would miss so much here
Comment icon #53 Posted by DONTEATUS 10 years ago
Man is meant to Live in the Entire Universe ! Its up to us to Evolve into a being that can do it ! I think we can !

Our new book is out now!

The Unexplained Mysteries
Book of Weird News

AVAILABLE NOW

Take a walk on the weird side with this compilation of some of the weirdest stories ever to grace the pages of a newspaper.

Click here to learn more

We need your help!

Support us on Patreon

BONUS CONTENT

For less than the cost of a cup of coffee, you can gain access to a wide range of exclusive perks including our popular 'Lost Ghost Stories' series.

Click here to learn more