Wednesday, October 20, 2021
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Bizarre > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )
Bizarre

Mother hiccups up to 100 times a day

August 10, 2012 | Comment icon 12 comments

Image Credit: sxc.hu
Lisa Doherty has been suffering from a chronic case of the hiccups non-stop for over five years.
The 24-year-old first started to hiccup while pregnant with her daughter Emily and hasn't stopped since, hiccuping up to 100 times a day every day for years. Lisa has tried every possible hiccup remedy she can think of but nothing has worked. Doctors initially told her that it wasn't uncommon to get the hiccups while pregnant but when it didn't stop an alternative explanation was needed. Lisa is currently waiting to undergo a procedure designed to examine the inside of her gullet and stomach.

"I can hiccup really loudly, so it can be a bit embarrassing," she says. "Some people say I sound like a dinosaur. And I get some very funny looks, especially from old ladies because if I’m close to them when I hiccup I can make them jump."
Hiccups are anything but a brief annoyance for Lisa Doherty. She has suffered from them every day for almost five years.

Comments (12)

Comment icon #3 Posted by St. Jimmy 9 years ago
Poor woman.
Comment icon #4 Posted by notoverrated 9 years ago
the longest session of hiccups was like 68 years.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Super-Fly 9 years ago
Rather be dead. LOL.
Comment icon #6 Posted by BaneSilvermoon 9 years ago
I've had the same thing for three or four years now. Doesn't happen in the usual large repeated bouts that hiccups typically come in, maybe two or three in an hour at max. Usually one every couple hours or so. Very loud and powerful, which was also different from any hiccups I'd had before this. Around the same time that it started I also began getting bouts of horrendously strong sulfur burps. Almost enough to make you nauseous at times. It all seems to be related to some type of digestion issue to me. Both tend to only occur after meals, seemingly specific, or perhaps just large, meals. Caff... [More]
Comment icon #7 Posted by csspwns 9 years ago
does she even hiccup when she sleeps?
Comment icon #8 Posted by Skeptic Chicken 9 years ago
Whenever our washing machine starts rumbling and tumbling, I just whack it and it stops. I say we cut her open and just backhand the muscle or whatever it is that causes the hiccups (its that bar like muscle across the bottom of your lungs or whatnot).
Comment icon #9 Posted by woopypooky 9 years ago
deepthroat with cucumber shall cure it.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Jenny Jane 9 years ago
She should totally try drinking water upside down. Works every time. *puts on shades*
Comment icon #11 Posted by Eldorado 9 years ago
She managed to have another daughter while suffering this so... I don't know whether to be impressed with her partner or sympathetic.
Comment icon #12 Posted by ivanova 9 years ago
There is a guy in Kazakhstan who has had an experience of successful treating this sort of hiccups, he a licenced traditional healer (24 years of practice) and is ready to help Lisa Doherty with her problem. If she is interested she could come in contact with me. The old man doesn't speak English. It's not a commercial!