Thursday, May 19, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Science & Technology > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Science & Technology

First Tunguska meteorite fragments found ?

May 3, 2013 | Comment icon 16 comments

Image Credit: Wikipedia
[!gad]In 1908 Tunguska was the site of a tremendous explosion that was 1,000 times more powerful than the bomb dropped on Hiroshima. The blast flattened 80 million trees over an area covering 2,000 square kilometers, however due to the sparse population of the region only one person was killed. For years scientists have attempted to explain the cause of the explosion with the prevailing theory being that the area was hit by a meteor that most likely exploded when it reached Earth's atmosphere.

Now scientist Andrei Zlobin from the Russian Academy of Sciences has announced that he has located what he believes to be three meteorite fragments in the region that he claims are from the object that caused the event. If he is right then the discovery could offer important new clues in to what happened and help to solve the mystery once and for all.
The Tunguska impact event is one of the great mysteries of modern history. The basic facts are well known. On 30 June 1908, a vast and powerful explosion engulfed an isolated region of Siberia near the Podkamennaya Tunguska River.

Source: Technology Review | Comments (16)

Comment icon #7 Posted by kitty81 9 years ago
after this many years???? i shake my head
Comment icon #8 Posted by Irna 9 years ago
Scientist Andrei Zlobin believes he has identified three meteorite pieces in the Tunguska region. Hi, I wonder what kind of scientist Andrei Zlobin exactly is. His curriculum here is quite strange. He claims to have a published paper with the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, but a search on the AIAA website doesn't yield any result except for a Valery Zlobin. However his more recent paper about the fragments has not been peer-reviewed, it's on arXiv. There seems to be some strong disagreement among specialists about this publication: http://www.mail-arch.../msg112777.html ht... [More]
Comment icon #9 Posted by shrooma 9 years ago
after this many years???? i shake my head . kitty, the wheels of science may grind slowly, but they DO grind exceedingly small..... . (to paraphrase something or other...) :-)
Comment icon #10 Posted by shrooma 9 years ago
Irna, can I suppose, and correct me here if i'm wrong, that you're french....?
Comment icon #11 Posted by Irna 9 years ago
Irna, can I suppose, and correct me here if i'm wrong, that you're french....? Yes I am! Is it so evident from my bad English?
Comment icon #12 Posted by Timonthy 9 years ago
Yes I am! Is it so evident from my bad English? Your English was pretty perfect, I'm guessing it's the link in your signature.
Comment icon #13 Posted by equus hemionus 9 years ago
I was led to believe Tesla was testing one of his missing weapon asthe cause of th blast.
Comment icon #14 Posted by RigDigman 9 years ago
Anything you can do, nature does better. Anything you can do, nature can too.
Comment icon #15 Posted by shrooma 9 years ago
Yes I am! Is it so evident from my bad English? . not at all! it was your signature that gave it away! I think you're the only french person here on UM. i've never seen any before, and it struck me as odd that there weren't any, but I guess there is now! :-)
Comment icon #16 Posted by Irna 9 years ago
I think you're the only french person here on UM. i've never seen any before, and it struck me as odd that there weren't any, but I guess there is now! Who knows? there are so many members here...

Total Posts: 7,264,905    Topics: 298,797    Members: 196,927