Saturday, June 25, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Science & Technology > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Science & Technology

Can a dead person be revived after 24 hours?

August 2, 2013 | Comment icon 40 comments

Image Credit: CC 2.0 Rama
New advances in resuscitation research could make it possible to bring people back after several hours.
Physician Sam Parnia believes that medical science is on the verge of a significant breakthrough within the next two decades that could save thousands of lives. At the moment only up to around 18% of patients who suffer a cardiac arrest are able to be revived, but at Dr. Parnia's research base in New York doctors have been achieving rates that are up to twice that figure.

"It is possible that in 20 years, we may be able to restore people to life 12 hours or maybe even 24 hours after they have died," he said. "You could call that resurrection, if you will. But I still call it resuscitation science."
Critical care physician Sam Parnia makes the claim in his book Erasing Death, saying resuscitation research is on the cusp of a major breakthrough within the next 20 years.

Source: 24 Tanzania | Comments (40)

Comment icon #31 Posted by Sakari 9 years ago
Why on earth are people so afraid of dying? This disturbs me. Have you had anything in your life happen that did put a date / stamp on your life? I did recently. I had a malignent Melanoma, 2.08 inch's deep. I had surgery to remove a good chunk of my leg, and some lymphnodes to be biopsied. Now, when you have Doctors telling you you have the worst kind of skin cancer there is, and that it may have spread into lymphnodes, then you look on the internet at your death sentence, it is very scary. I am still scared. Everything came out fine, although I do have to see a Oncologist and possibly have m... [More]
Comment icon #32 Posted by Erowin 9 years ago
Why on earth are people so afraid of dying? This disturbs me. I have the BIGGEST fear of death. I dont believe in an afterlife, so to me death is non-existence. I've not existed for billions of years, but its harder to go from sentient being to non-sentient. Existing is all we know. What will it be like to finally shut off, to no longer have 1 single thought? Ever? Never again will you experience any senses, any thoughts.... its like you never were. Imagine that moment of turning off. Its not like sleep because you wake from sleep and can take stock of the fact that you were unconscious. There... [More]
Comment icon #33 Posted by seeder 9 years ago
I have the BIGGEST fear of death. I dont believe in an afterlife, so to me death is non-existence. I've not existed for billions of years, but its harder to go from sentient being to non-sentient. Existing is all we know. What will it be like to finally shut off, to no longer have 1 single thought? Ever? Never again will you experience any senses, any thoughts.... its like you never were. Imagine that moment of turning off. Its not like sleep because you wake from sleep and can take stock of the fact that you were unconscious. Theres no waking up to realize you were asleep with death. Oh god I... [More]
Comment icon #34 Posted by Mikko-kun 9 years ago
Well, I know it's kinda moot to say this when I'm far from that age yet, but I wouldn't mind living forever if there was no second chance and nothing after life. Life is suffering anyhow... but if my mental capacities, thinking feeling and that, be reduced too much, then it's not as tempting. Ambition-wise, to realise your life-dreams, having an extended life does sound good, but apart from that and maybe experiencing some states of mind I dont see what's good in it. Why do we live?
Comment icon #35 Posted by R4z3rsPar4d0x 9 years ago
Is there any point where science believes that its going to far, I mean I'm in no way afraid of death hell Iv actually almost died 3 different times due to pneumonia related illnesses. Iv been hospitalized more times than I can count and even put into a medical induced coma. I'm not saying life isn't great and should not be enjoyed, but at some point like Seeder said everything has to end. Now don't get me wrong I'm not anxious for death but when it comes it comes. I don't really know what happens after you die but either its another journey or a great rest that I won't be aware of.
Comment icon #36 Posted by TheGreatBeliever 9 years ago
But can they cure the disease that caused that persons death? N can they restore youth? Don think anyone will wan to live looking old forever
Comment icon #37 Posted by BiffSplitkins 9 years ago
Pretty much yes... And if a person was revived after being dead for 20 hrs or some such they would almost certainly suffer some pretty severe brain damage... With that being said, I'm pretty sure at that least half of my friends must have been dead once.
Comment icon #38 Posted by White Crane Feather 9 years ago
We are only the moments that we experience. I am certain that there is something after death, yet I find myself still with a desire to cling to this life. Just watching my boys play is a wonderful pleasure. Like Sakari, I had a cancer scare...twice actually. I don't want to die, there is to much to do in this world. To many wonderful moments with family, my wife, and nature. It really is a precious time. Its like child hood.
Comment icon #39 Posted by glorybebe 9 years ago
Pretty much yes... And if a person was revived after being dead for 20 hrs or some such they would almost certainly suffer some pretty severe brain damage... I'll stay dead thank you.
Comment icon #40 Posted by R4z3rsPar4d0x 9 years ago
I'll stay dead thank you. Yeah and who's to say there is nothing after death.

Total Posts: 7,283,693    Topics: 299,648    Members: 197,497